Metal hooks instead of elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mindwaves

Metal hooks instead of elastics

#1 Post by mindwaves »

My orth said this to me on my 4-5th visit to her. I got braced last June with damon 3 braces.

She said that if I visit the perio and for the small sum of around $800, I will get 2 little hooks I guess drilled in my jaws. And I guess either some metal or some band will be tied to it to move my teeth back (I got 4 removed) so the gaps will be closed. Anyone have any experience with this? She said that my treatment plan will be about 2 months less and I wont have to wear elastics at all until the very end. And my chin will be about 10 degrees better to the optimal angle of 130 degrees.

Right now, I stand to wear elastics and only achieve a 120 degree chin angle and save $800. Thoughts? Thanks.

mindwaves

#2 Post by mindwaves »

Thanks for the reply. I decided to go with them. She will only need 2 hooks this time around so it will be cheaper. I think it will be ok. I am not sure if she can guarantee me the optimal angle, but she said that she sends people to the perio often to get it done (I live in Orange County so that is believable). She also showed me some before and after pictures of some people who have had it done and it does look appealing to me. I get new x-rays taken on Wed and the implant things done on Th.

PrincessMelody

#3 Post by PrincessMelody »

Sounds like you've made a good decision. Whatever you are most happy with.

P.S. you said you live in OC... is that OC California, or one of the many other states with an OC. If it's CA, I live in OC too.
Check out my braces story by clicking the WWW
28 months and 22 days in braces
Now in an upper and lower Hawley retainer.

mindwaves

#4 Post by mindwaves »

hmmm...I guess I'll try to post pictures here. Thanks for all of the responses everyone and yes, I do live in Orange County, CA, more specifically in Irvine. Maybe we can meet up and swap braces horror stories? hahaha

mindwaves

#5 Post by mindwaves »

I just got them done. He numbed me and used a drill and drilled them in (I tried not to look). They didn't hurt at first, but they hurt soon afterwards so I took some pain medicine and all is well...kind of, feels weird!

mindwaves

#6 Post by mindwaves »

hehe, thanks for the kind words everyone. I feel fine now. I took some antibiotic pills just in case. I hope my ortho is right and I can get that proper angle or somewhat close to it would be fine also.

But the most shocking part of the procedure was the price. $600 total!

Pirate Wench

#7 Post by Pirate Wench »

Sounds like all is going well for you......I hope you acheive the angle that you are looking for. :thumbsup:

Are the hooks digging into your cheeks at all? I know the hooks on my brackets cause enough pain. I can't imagine another kind of hook in there.

Good luck and keep us posted how your progress is going.

mindwaves

#8 Post by mindwaves »

Thanks! Nothing digging in my checks, but I can feel them there, but if I don't think about it, then it really is nothing. I go to the ortho this coming Tuesday so she can hook up some springs or whatever she uses to close the gaps. I'm elastics free (or so I hope....hahaha)!!

mindwaves

#9 Post by mindwaves »

So I finally got the little springs attached to my hooks. I look really weird now...=(

But no elastics for me (more now) !

My teeth do hurt a lot right now. Even biting into wheat bread hurts. But I expect that to subside hopefully overnight or soon afterwards.

ghostmyimag3

#10 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Your braver that me!
ANYTHING to do with drilling count me out!!!!
However i'm glad you made the decision for what's best for your situation and hope you achieve what you desire from it!!
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

cowlypso

#11 Post by cowlypso »

Wow... $600! Probably not covered by my insurance... I was thinking about asking my ortho about implants as an alternative to the Nance and headgear, but that's a lot of money... I guess I'll still ask, but I have a feeling that I won't have to be psyching myself up for drilling anytime soon.

Glad that it's working out for you, though. It's always nice when they can accomodate some of your opinions into your treatment.

mindwaves

#12 Post by mindwaves »

A little update: So this Sunday after I finished eating my breakfast (a basic sandwich), I felt a weird ripping feeling in my mouth and I looked in the mirror and I saw that my dental implant thing (a screw essentially) was coming out along with some blood. Believe me, I was scared. I rinsed with mouthwash and called my perio and he told me to wait until tomorrow (bah) and so the next day, I saw him and he out it back in. The next day, I saw my ortho who put back the spring which was attached to my screw and she also did some weird figure 8 stuff and other stuff of which I have no clue so I'm good for 8 weeks until my next apt where they will be taking pictures of my progress.

My gaps are closing fast for sure, but I do not see any progress on my chin profile personally (which was the whole pt of getting my teeth extracted and getting those implants in). My ortho said I'm making fine progress, but I have to disagree.

DrBill

#13 Post by DrBill »

Those "hooks" are TADs - Temporary Anchorage Devices - and your orthodontist is right - they can not only move teeth but also help with your profile. Class II elastics - probably the most common kind we use - can procline the lower teeth. While we use rectangular wires to compensate, some patients will get a better result if elastics can be limited as much as possible. As far as closing extraction spaces, TADs can allow maximum retraction of the front teeth without slipping the back teeth forward, helping to improve certain profiles.

Temporary implants are touted as the next big thing in orthodontics and amazing things are being done with them. While you may want to take the precise angle quoted by your orthodontist with a grain of salt (it's often difficult to predict a profile effect that precisely) you can rest assured you're probably seeing some profile benefits compared to a correction with elastics.