Monday newbie and problems already!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Maggsie

Monday newbie and problems already!

#1 Post by Maggsie »

Well, I knew it wouldn't be easy but I hope this isn't the way it's going to go on. Had braces done on monday and got two blobs of cement on my molars to stop me from closing my mouth. Yesterday morning one of the blobs fell off. Today one of my wires from the lingual braces, right at the back, has "ping-ed" out of the bracket or broken off and is now poking straight into my tongue. Feels like there's a needle sticking into it. I've put the biggest blob of silicone on it to try and tame the thing. So it's back to the ortho tomorrow evening to fix things. I hope these are just teething problems - hah! in the truest sense of the word.

On the positive side, I've had no pain whatsoever, at all. And now I'm worried that nothing is happening to my teeth. I almost want the to hurt, at least a teensy bit, so I know they're starting to move. Guess I should just be quiet and grateful.

This is really going to take some getting used to. But then you guys all say after a few weeks it's no longer an issue. I hope you're right!!!!!

Catmom

#2 Post by Catmom »

I, too, got "braced" on Monday and, of course, popped a bracket through the night. So, off to the ortho yesterday to have that fixed and then off to the doc for a supply of Tylenol 3's - the pain is horrific!!!

Those acclusal pads on the bottom jaw are making my jaw ache constantly and my teeth don't know what the *$%! is happening to them!!

On the bright side, I went with Christmas colours (red & green) so at least when I smile, it looks like I'm happy!!!! :ouch:

iBorg

#3 Post by iBorg »

I remeber the first few weeks. If I can survive this learning experience I'm sure you all can to. It will get better. Trust me on this.
I've has my braces since September. There are good days and not so good days. What I haven't had was a really bad day.

Ask most members of this list and they'll tell you that braces have been a good thing.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

ghostmyimag3

#4 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

be lucky you have just brackets, i got the whole shebang.
I got molar bands with lingual buttons on the inside (dont ask me what they are for)
Wait til your teeth start moving and the wire starts pokin ya out the back!
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

Sorry to hear about the wire poking your tongue, maggsie (been there, done that - not nice). Most of my breakages occurred during the first few weeks, so hopefully this is just a settling in period for you. And you don't have to have pain to have progress; the wire will be working, guaranteed.

Mike - you're right. There are good days (most part) and not so good days. I can't recall a bad day, really.

Ghost: the lingual buttons could be for elastics.

cowlypso

#6 Post by cowlypso »

It seems like a lot of people end up with a bracket or two falling off soon after they get the braces on. I think it must have to do with getting the darned things to stick to the teeth. Once you get them all on there for good, I imagine that it won't be such a problem.