Expander ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

clrv

Expander ?

#1 Post by clrv »

I have found this board very helpful. So I would first like to say thanks to everyone that has posted.

I had my expander installed about 2 1/2 weeks ago and I turn the key once day. I did not have surgery (yet) my ortho wanted to see if we could move it with the expander first. I have read about the possibility of teeth tipping and have a question. I know something has to be happening I have turned the key about 14 times but I can not see any changes I take a pic of my teeth once a week and when I compare I can not see a difference.

Has any one else had anything like this?

overseasmel

#2 Post by overseasmel »

Hmm well i had surgery so it's a very different case I imagine.... Mine moved pretty fast.

Each turn of the key is only designed to produce a maximum of .25 millimetres movement, so if your jaw is resisting and not even getting that, then perhaps its not suprising the difference isn't visible yet. My thoughts would be talk to your ortho about it, and see what s/he was expecting in terms of movement. It may be that your jaw is a bit stubborn and you will need surgery after all.

Here's hoping its just a slow and steady mover. :)

Best wishes.

Mel

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

gunter8888

#3 Post by gunter8888 »

The progress does seem to be faster for those who have the surgery, but the non-surgical approach is very successful for many of us here. I just finished non-surgical expansion and it took 4-6 weeks before I began seeing some gaps open up between some of my very crowded teeth. Instead of weekly pics, I went to monthly pics and I can see changes in each one.

Its hard not to be super eager to see progress, but hang in there it will happen!

Good luck!
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

cbushnaq

#4 Post by cbushnaq »

When I first had my expander I got a space between my front teeth but it could have been from my braces since they were put on at the same time. I turned 14 times then 7 more times and then again 7 more times. At first the only way I could really tell a difference was not by looking but by flossing. Is it easier/harder to floss between some of your teeth?

C.

clrv

#5 Post by clrv »

Thanks I see my Ortho on Mon. so we will see what he has to say. I guess I am just a little inpatient.