mad w/ ortho

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tinseltownusa

mad w/ ortho

#1 Post by tinseltownusa »

Hi--
I got my braces on today. Actually, all I got were the brackets. I am having 4 teeth extracted on Dec 21 and so my ortho did not put in the wires in. This is what bothers me. I am really upset that I am going through the shock of seeing myself in braces but not getting the "at least they're doing something" reassurance.
He knew I was having the teeth extracted...why didn't he just wait until they were out to put everything on?
Is this typical? It won't be until Jan 2 when I can get the wires in.
I am 24--I feel like a total nerd and I am mad that they aren't even working right now!

newmetal

#2 Post by newmetal »

I see your point, i have not experienced this but im sure he is doing it for a reason.

Newmetal

cowlypso

#3 Post by cowlypso »

I'm not sure why such a long wait. My ortho is doing my braces in the same sort of two-step process, but not with such a wait. I go in for spacers in the back and brackets up front. Then a week later I go in for molar bands and archwires. He didn't really have much of an explanation about why he does it that way. He said something about it saving me a trip just for getting spacers in. It's just the way he does it. Probably so that he doesn't have to spend 2.5 hours with one patient in the chair at a stretch. But I've only got a week between them, and that's for the spacers to work. I don't know why you would have the brackets for a whole month. Maybe you could call and ask?

science teacher

braces

#4 Post by science teacher »

Just a thought, Since that is during christmas break for public schools maybe the ortho was really booked up with bracing new patients. this way you could have a very quick appointment to put on the wire.

Kim
SARPE 11/23/06
Expansion over 12/18/06 8.5mm
Brace day tops 1/15/07
Brace day bottoms 3/19/07
all expansion devices removed 9/19/07

PrincessMelody

#5 Post by PrincessMelody »

For my uppers I got my brackets and spacers on in one appt and then came back 3 weeks later for the wire. Currently I have my bottom brackets and spacers and go back on Friday to get my wire. The wait for my lowers was 4 weeks. I didn't really think about the having braces without the benefit. I am just annoyed that he does it this way because the brackets are so uncomfortable without the wire. Good news though, things will actually feel better when you get the wires on because the brackets aren't as rought and a lot smoother. So it will be a relief to get the wire on.
Check out my braces story by clicking the WWW
28 months and 22 days in braces
Now in an upper and lower Hawley retainer.

alexa

#6 Post by alexa »

I got my brackets and spacers (no wires) done on one day, and then a month later I came back and was "wired". During that month I had the four teeth extracted that needed to come out.

One reason there may be for this is that it gives you time to adjust to the brackets before they start working and creating pain from the pressure.

Truthfully, I'm not really sure of the reason for sure, so you'd need to ask your ortho for his/her reasoning.

I'm 24, and braces are what they are. You don't look anymore like a nerd now than you will for the rest of your treatment time. Just try to see it as the start of something good, and take this time to adjust to braces. I know it's not as comfortable without the wires, so use lots of wax and salt water rinses if you feel discomfort. I also liked using ambesol (the kids gel kind...mmm..bubblegum flavor! :wink: ) back in the begining. It helped make it much more comfortable.

Anyway, good luck and I promise, it'll get better.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

tinseltownusa

#7 Post by tinseltownusa »

[quote="bracedagain"]Did your ortho at least give you ligs on your brackets? The little o-rings would at least help to cushion the edges of the brackets while you have this long of a wait. I would be calling to see if they could at least do that for you. It wouldn't take but a minute or two to do that![/quote]

I have self-ligating braces, so no "little o-rings!"

Rockk

#8 Post by Rockk »

Hey there. Same thing happened to me. I had my brackets put on mid November or so and just got the wire in and everything "activated" this morning. In between I had 8 teeth pulled (4 wisdom and 4 others) and the reason I was given is that it's sort of a "fail-safe" plan. He put the brackets on first so the oral surgeon knew exactly which teeth he needed to pull. Ones with brackets stayed on, ones without brackets came out. That way there's no confusion at all.

I was disappointed at first and thought the same thing you are - "why can't they just do everything now so at least these brackets are doing something" but once I thought about it I'm glad they're taking every precaution. Hopefully this will help you a bit to know that hopefully your ortho. has your best interest in mind and isn't just making you wear only the brackets to be evil! ;)

Best of luck!

vivi21

#9 Post by vivi21 »

hello same story here i got the brackets on aug 4 & on Aug 9 got 2 extractions on top but by Aug 14 i got my wire, to tell u the truth i don't know either why they do this. But i felt the same way u did but now i think it help me to get use to the brackets and i guess i would of been in more pain if i would got the wire @ the same time i also have those self-ligating brackets good luck & hang in there. :wink:
Got my Braces on 08-04-06
Now on Hawley