oh my gosh I make noises - and question re zig-zag

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Maggsie

oh my gosh I make noises - and question re zig-zag

#1 Post by Maggsie »

aaahhhhhh how endearing .......... another lovely side effect I'm just discovering: I make a noise when I eat ..... it's a mix between a sucking and a smacking noise. I did it twice yesterday and again today. How embarrassing!!!!!!! This braces business is certainly interesting .... It made me laugh though and thank you thank you thank you to all of you on these boards. Things are happening to me now that I would have been disturbed by had I not been browsing these boards for weeks before my braces came on.

Like the fact that my braces are zig-zaggy and not at all straight across. Which brings me to a question. My teeth are different height - hence the zig-zag look of the brackets. Do they pull the shorter teeth up, or do they push the longer teeth down??????

Had mushy peas for lunch today - that's peas all squished up - for those non-UK people out there. No, no, before you go yuk yuk yuk, it's actually quite nice. Having said that, ANYTHING edible in mashed form looks nice to me at the moment though ......

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Like the fact that my braces are zig-zaggy and not at all straight across. Which brings me to a question. My teeth are different height - hence the zig-zag look of the brackets. Do they pull the shorter teeth up, or do they push the longer teeth down??????
I think it's a bit of both.

Regarding the noise - I find it hard to eat nicely too because my top and bottom teeth don't touch, so I tend not to eat in front of anyone except hubby at the moment, because it's just too embarrassing! :oops: I couldn't bear it if i ended up dribbling or spitting while eating in company!

joney

#3 Post by joney »

Another UK resident here. I agree that mushy peas are lovely!

My first time eating out with other people I felt self conscious but now I'm an old hand (1 month in braces) and I just get on with it. Mind you I can bite fine now but for the first week or so my bite seemed off.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Dramagyrl

#4 Post by Dramagyrl »

My favourite noise was when I accidently whistled with my bracket.
It was just the way my lip formed around the bracket and let in air while I was talking, but it totally whistled and drowned out what I was trying to say.

It's happened a couple times since, but I think I got it under control. I know at the time it was certainly a little embarassing :oops:

I also had a piece of dental-friendly gum fall out of my mouth while I was talking with someone. Less feeling in the mouth, less sensation and yeah, I didn't realize it was about to happen until it was too late.