Shaving/Shaping Teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

deltawire

Shaving/Shaping Teeth

#1 Post by deltawire »

Just wondering if anyone has had their teeth shaved/shaped? If so did it hurt? If you can briefly explain your experience for me that would help out a whole lot. FYI...I am getting my 5th adjustment next Tuesday and my Ortho said that she will start shaping/shaving my teeth so that they are even.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
~Dwire

Maggsie

#2 Post by Maggsie »

oh my gosh, I'm glad you posted this. My ortho mentioned to me before my treatment that she might do that to me too. Instead of extractions. I am totally petrified of this as well. I can't wait to see what the wise-ones out there have to say about this. I mean, shaving off!!!!! How scary is that!!!!!

Having said that, I did ask my ortho about it when she mentioned it. And she said that she would literally take a fraction off the tooth, that she may be able to do it with this thing that looks like a nail file and that it really wouldn't hurt. Mmmmmhhhh but then I don't believe her because my teeth sometimes hurt when I brush them. So how on earth should SHAVING THEM not hurt.

So, it may not be as bad as we both fear. Let's see what everyone else says!!!!!!

KJM

#3 Post by KJM »

I had this done several months back. My office called it IPR. They basically flossed between two teeth with a sandpaper like floss... no pain at all.
I also had them reshape one of my teeth and they used a dremel like tool, that also didnt hurt ( just some pressure on the tooth)
I too worried for the 6 weeks about it because I was unsure that it would be painless, but it was a breeze.
Good Luck!
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

jcdamon3

#4 Post by jcdamon3 »

I have had IPR with the sandpaper and a circular saw. I have also had my teeth shaped with the dremel tool. They also use a similar tool to take the glue off of your teeth when they take your brackets off. The IPR and shaping doesn't hurt at all. The glue removal hurts a bit if you have sensitive teeth.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Dovechild20

#5 Post by Dovechild20 »

My ortho is going to do this to me as well, but he hasnt mentioned when...I may ask him at my adjustment coming up. I just hope he doesnt shave them too much and my teeth end up lookin like white pencils, lol.

Amy19

#6 Post by Amy19 »

Im also meant to have this done ( i think at the next appointment)

Im a bit scared about it because my ortho commented on how my bottom teeth are quite small, and now she is planning to shave them down to make space. but why do it to teeth that are already small?? are my teeth not going to look freaky if she shaves even more off!??

Though im glad she is doing this and not extractions :lol:

Amy x

Delag

#7 Post by Delag »

Found this not too long ago - you might find it interesting.
http://www.braces.org/healthcareprofess ... web-sm.pdf

ishasha

#8 Post by ishasha »

My ortho said he is going to use IPR instead of extraction too. My only concern is how much. At first he said 0.5mm on each side of a tooth, then I got the impression he said 1mm on each side. I thought 0.5mm is the maximum... Hope he knows what he is going to do...
Uppers braced on 10/24/2006
Lowers braced on 6/25/2007

TuZZi

#9 Post by TuZZi »

At my appointment the other day, my ortho asked if I would like to have my teeth shaved/shaped so they looked more even. I said "sure" and wasn't worried about it at all. My ortho shaped each one of my front teeth, upper and lower, and I can totally see a difference now. My front tooth isn't so pointy on one bottom corner, and they all fit together quite nicely.

It didn't hurt at all, wasn't even invasive, but the smell of the teeth was kinda gross... it was almost as if something was burning, and I was apprehensive about swallowing anything while they were being shaped, so I held out for 5 minutes and then rinsed when he was done.

Don't worry... it's pain free, you have nothing to worry about.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

broochie

#10 Post by broochie »

I had my two upper centrals shaved about three weeks ago. My dentist did it with a sandpaperlike ribbon and it didn't hurt at all.
I posted pictures on my www if you care to see the before/after. I personally think it looks rather nice.

sjsarre

#11 Post by sjsarre »

I'm going to have some of mine squared off as they have worn away in the wrong area due to being twisted. I guess it will be right at the end of my treatment though!

Lyn

#12 Post by Lyn »

I had this done several times at the beginning of my treatment. For me it was quite painful. :x

I had a lot of crowding and overlapping on my lowers. The sandpaper file was forced between the teeth and he sanded back and forth. At times it felt like my head was coming off, because of the motion. :(

I am really glad I had this option, instead of extractions!! :D
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

michael33

#13 Post by michael33 »

I will also be getting the tops of some of my teeth shaved down. Anyone have any before/after pics of this done to them?

Tin Indian

#14 Post by Tin Indian »

I had an I.P.R. done on my bottom front because they were hitting on each other. It didn't hurt in the least. It felt like someone shining your shoes with a buffing pad. Don't worry, you will do fine.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

Skylark

#15 Post by Skylark »

Hiya,

I had my upper front teeth shaved a couple of times to make room before my ceramics and it was absolutely fine. My ortho used a tiny tool first but then moved to a little circular saw because I have such tough enamel (good for me!) The circular saw was really noisy but don't let that put you off because it doesn't go anywhere near the nerve so there is nothing to cause pain (he did catch my gum once which hurt a bit!)

He gave me some re-mineralising gel to harden them up again and they're as good as new - you can notice the gaps but they are tiny and the shape of the tooth doesn't seem any different.

It's such a quick, easy and painless way to create more space - far less traumatic than extractions!

Don't give it any thought, it will be fine :D

x