Spacers are not my friends

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Thumbellina

Spacers are not my friends

#1 Post by Thumbellina »

BE WARNED - I AM FEELING VERY SORRY FOR MYSELF IN THIS POST!!!

I was so excited about starting my journey but I have had spacers for 3 days now and I really wish the pain would go away. :roll:

Sorry to everyone looking forward to getting spacers because it is the beginning - I didn't want to be the person who is a bit of a downer! It is just a constant ache in all your teeth.

I need a break now thanks, just pop them out for a few hours so I can eat properly and then they can go back in (not!) :wink:

I really do hope this is as bad as it gets because I am so sore, I am hungry (if it doesn't "moosh" then I can't eat it) and I am feeling sorry for myself :cry: And I have had lots of people tell me horror stories about their braces and say "You think this is bad? Just you wait hehehe" all cynical - it really annoys me!!

Only 4 more days then BRACES :lol: but maybe I'll be more :(

Jillianleab

#2 Post by Jillianleab »

Spacers are NO ONE'S FRIEND!!! I was miserable when I had mine, so I know what you are going through. Hang in there, it will be over soon! The braces are a pain too, but in a different way, so don't worry yourself too much!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

overseasmel

#3 Post by overseasmel »

I was just about to say SPACERS ARE NO-ONE'S FRIEND, but then I realised Jilleanleab had taken the words out of my mouth.

In short: they suck.

But it does get better, promise. :)

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

turrrtlelove22

#4 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

Oh Thumbellina!!! I sooooooo sympathize with you!!! I tried so hard not to rant or complain on here or anywhere for that matter. I had to vent just a little, tho. A few days ago, at the height of my pain, I thought I was going to lose my mind. I kept telling myself I was crazy for putting myself through this and what was I thinking!!! And I too then began to feel VERY sorry for myself and pathetic...lol.

I get my braces on Tuesday and I am praying that these spacers are as bad as it gets. I too am hungry and have been for a week!!! A person can only eat so many things the consistency of baby food. Needless to say it did not agree with my stomach. :cry: I got so frustrated with eating that I just lost the desire to for a couple days because it was so taxing. It's hard to be a good sport about it all sometimes...LOL

But just 4 more days to go for you!!! And 2 for me!!! WE CAN DO IT!!! HANG IN THERE!!! :D :D :D

Keep us posted on how things go. Good luck and I hope your pain gets better these next few days... :D :D :D
LiFe iS A HoOt iF You arE aN oWL...O.o

Sept. 28 ~ Consult with Orthodontist
Dec. 5 ~ Spacers In
Dec. 12 ~ Braces On!!!

SDFD TSchott

#5 Post by SDFD TSchott »

turrrtlelove22 wrote:

But just 4 more days to go for you!!! And 2 for me!!! WE CAN DO IT!!! HANG IN THERE!!! :D :D :D

Keep us posted on how things go. Good luck and I hope your pain gets better these next few days... :D :D :D
2 Days and counting DANG Getting so close there turrrtlelove22 I remember I Was so excited that I was coming close to my b-day and now I'm 3 months and going strong in braces!

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

ssfw

#6 Post by ssfw »

Hi Thumbellina,

I am so sorry that you're having such a difficult time with the spacers. To be honest with you, I haven't had any problems with the spacers, braces, elastics and just had a sore tongue for about a month from my expander. Still, I haven't had to take any pain relievers due to my ortho. treatment. I think it's great that in 4 days that will take the spacers out which I'm sure will be a relief. You might want to take some Advil to relieve some of the pain/pressure from the spacers. I hope you feel better soon and I hope you have a great appt. when they place your braces this week.

Keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

turrrtlelove22

#7 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

I'm 3 months and going strong in braces!

Can't wait until I reach the 3 month mark!!! I am excited about my B-day...I'm going to get there super early...LOL :lol:
LiFe iS A HoOt iF You arE aN oWL...O.o

Sept. 28 ~ Consult with Orthodontist
Dec. 5 ~ Spacers In
Dec. 12 ~ Braces On!!!