Is there any change to the shape of mouth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Braceface82

Is there any change to the shape of mouth

#1 Post by Braceface82 »

Does braces change the shape of mouth after the treatment :?:

weird_wired

#2 Post by weird_wired »

Dr J commented on someone's photo that their mouth shows "lip and chin muscle strain that may be relieved by reducing the dental protrusion":
viewtopic.php?t=7695&highlight=strain

which suggests that orthodontics can affect mouth appearance.

Having wider arches as mentioned above also changes your look slightly, but very often for the better according to people here:
viewtopic.php?t=7720

Braceface82

#3 Post by Braceface82 »

Thanks for all the info you guys. I just cant help to notice that ever since I started wearing braces I look totally different. I have a bump on my upper lip (i hope that will go away after my treatment) and my mouth seems to be wider. ggrrr but hopefully after my treatment everything will be better.

kander

not only mouth but face

#4 Post by kander »

hi, i have mentioned this before...many months ago.
my face has been altered. my lower jaw seems to have retracted and people always commit on "how much weight i have lost" ( which i have not lost any) but when they say it they always touch their face. i hate it.
i am to have jaw surgery in feb. and i hope to god that i look the same as before but w/straight teeth.
braces on 2/2/05
ceramic top and bottom
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

orangetammy

#5 Post by orangetammy »

im thinking about that too and this has seriously affected my mood sometimes.. my jawline looks longer and my mouth seems to be very weird and taking up a much bigger proportion in my face... and i don't like that...

is that just a process of shifting my teeth around? i had very mild underbite and my orthodontist was trying to correct it just by making me wear some elastics.

jcdamon3

#6 Post by jcdamon3 »

Hi,

It really depends on what you are having done. If you have a significant overjet and will have teeth extracted etc. I would think that you would have some changes to your mouth. Why wouldn't you?

In my case my arch was square shaped (flat in front) so rounding it out gave me a little more lip support and is actually making my mouth look a little smaller which is a good thing.

I noticed that when I got my braces off my face has returned ALOT to normal becuase I am not stretching my lips over the brackets. I think it is a good think. Before, with the braces on my face seemed definitely longer and not relaxed if you will.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

orangetammy

#7 Post by orangetammy »

BUMP :)