Front teeth hurt when eating

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SherwoodForest

Front teeth hurt when eating

#1 Post by SherwoodForest »

I have had my (top) braces since Thursday, and I find that I can't bite into anything with my front teeth..it hurts too much! The hardest food that I have eaten is toast, and I have to tear off little pieces and place them on my molars to chew. Is this temporary, or will this be a way of life for the next 2 years? :?

[KR]Cube

#2 Post by [KR]Cube »

Believe me when I say things will get much better! :D It might not feel like it, but give it another day or so, and you'll be fine and dandy.
I recently had elastics and powerchains put on last Tuesday, and I thought the pain would never go, until it had eased off completely on Saturday morning.
Just go easy on them, take painkillers if they really get that bad, and try to stick to softer foods like soups and noodles.
I hope things feel better for you soon :)
[KR]

Betty Bat

#3 Post by Betty Bat »

I'm not sure if this will make you feel better or worse!

The pain does go away - if you have any pain, it usually goes away in a few days after a procedure. But, there has been a lot of discussion on the board about eating. There's a difference between biting into things and chewing things. I found that it took me a while (months) to be able to bite into things - it just felt weird. So, I have been managing to eat pretty much everything I want, but I find that it's a lot easier to keep cutting it up into pieces. This includes most things that you would bite into, like apples and sandwiches. I've had my braces for over a year and what I REALLY want is a big juicy hamburger. I know that I can have a hamburger if I cut it up into pieces, but it just isn't the same as biting into one.

Bottom line - pain will go away, you will be able to chew, but it may take you a while to be able to bite. Don't get discouraged - a lot of people have had similar problems.

SherwoodForest

#4 Post by SherwoodForest »

Thanks everyone! I guess I'm lucky that I don't have pain all the time, just when I try to take a little bite using my front teeth. I'm just not used to tearing up pieces of toast and sandwiches! I've been eating mostly soft food, like rice and soap.

hd2755

#5 Post by hd2755 »

SOAP? yuck:( i hope you meant soup! do not think that irish spring waterfall fresh would taste good, however id have fresh breath for about 2 years, lol.. :shock:

Aquagirl910

#6 Post by Aquagirl910 »

It will defintely get better. It might take a while, but your teeth will sort themselves out. They are just not used to the pressure right now.

SherwoodForest

#7 Post by SherwoodForest »

Oops, yes I meant soup! :oops: Funny though...I do make soap as a hobby, and sometimes the fragrance I use makes the soap smell good enough to eat!

ishasha

#8 Post by ishasha »

I'm in my 6th week now. I have been avoiding to use my incisors. But I found these several days that I can actually use them. Before I did feel tender.
Uppers braced on 10/24/2006
Lowers braced on 6/25/2007

lisaemtp

#9 Post by lisaemtp »

My upper front teeth are still sensitive almost a month into treatment - not painful exactly, but they don't feel stable biting into anything more than toast. however, i have a lot of pressure and movement on the front four teeth due to my crowding, so I think that is why and that it will pass once the laterals are in line. I try to use them when possible to get used to it, but I don't push it if they're sore.

Lisa

Catmom

#10 Post by Catmom »

I still can't eat properly after 8 days. Biting down on my front teeth just isn't going to happen as they are extremely tender and chewing is an effort as my lower jaw doesn't like being in a new position!!! :cry:

On the bright side (yes, there is one!!), ice cream and pudding have become my new best friends as has the scale - down almost 5 pounds in a week!!!!

I'm hoping that I, too, will soon be able to bite into food, but right now, I feel like my 16 mth old Granddaughter eating everything in tiny pieces!!!

Kat

#11 Post by Kat »

Hmmm, I'm into this for three months and have never been able to bite into any thing sense.
I cut everything before eating. I can't hardly bite a banana in half without pain. :roll:

johnnya

#12 Post by johnnya »

I'm currently having my overbite fixed, with great success btw. My top teeth moved in about 4 mm and I can't bite into anything now. It's been like that for a month.
While I don't have any pain..there's simply no strength in my teeth atm

I guess it depends on what kind of treatment your going through. I never had any problems biting in my first months of treatment, until we started fixing my overbite...