question about wisdom tooth extraction... PLEASE HELP!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

suetran

question about wisdom tooth extraction... PLEASE HELP!

#1 Post by suetran »

Hi there ok...
well I had my extraction on the 5th of this month. Now the past 2/3 days there's been on and off pain.
Sometime it's severe and sometimes it's just you know there...
but my concern is I notice there are people who had extraction and had stitches but for some reason my dentist didn't stitch up my hole.
Do you usually need it to be stitched up?
also the past few days I did see some white thingy in the hole now I Don't see it at all but just red like there's blood in there , when I look into it there's a hole that you could see in to. I don't know if I'm explaining it right.
I've been having these severe pain, I'm soo worried I'm having what is called a dry socket.
The pain isn't just one place it's gone to the next tooth to it as well.
When I close my mouth so both top and bottom touches eachother , it hurts also,liek a toothache pain.
Please someone tell me ... what do you all think.?? also was my dentist suppose to stitch up the hole? How could I tell if it's healing? and how long is the pain suppose to last ? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!! I"m SOOO WORRIED.
I've been trying to call up my dentist but just my luck he's not working till wednesday... *sigh*

Rickysa

#2 Post by Rickysa »

Hi Sue,

Not all extractions require sutures...they are placed when the gum tissue won't stay in place by itself. Your symptoms sound like it may be a dry socket...I'm sorry you can't reach your doc until Wed.

Dr. S

cowlypso

#3 Post by cowlypso »

Yeah... sounds like a dry socket, with the pain radiating down the jaw.

Is there nobody that you can see? Did you go to an oral surgeon for the extractions? So you could call your oral surgeon, your regular dentist, your orthodontist... Surely one of them must be working today. Or possibly just your regular doctor?

Good luck!

sjsarre

#4 Post by sjsarre »

You may have a piece of tooth still in the socket which is trying to work its way out, this would also explain the pain... It would be best for you to go to the dentist to have it packed if you think its a dry socket.. I did make one of my sockets bleed again on purpose because I had lost the blood clot. It worked and formed a new one which took the pain away, but I guess its not something I should really suggest as i'm certainly NO expert!!!

If in doubt make an appointment. You don't want to end up with an infection!

suetran

#5 Post by suetran »

Hi agian well I got a call from my dentist today.HE told me to just take tylenol and antibotics. I asked him about patching the hole up. But he said it'll even hurt more during the process of doing it. And it would just help alittle bit for the pain.BEcause he would have to clean the inside of the hole. So he suggested me to take the pills and it'll heal on it's own.
I notice today the hole isn't as big as before. It's just the inside of it I can see the blood and I can see in it like a hole with blood. And then around it there's this discoloured spot iunno it's like white yellowish spot. Just like a cold sore. This morning was awful but tonight the pain was less now...
It would hurt mostly when I drink water and it gets into the hole then it'll hurt or like food gets into it , I would have to rinse with salt and warm water right away then it'll help.
SO... I was wondering how would I know it's healing? and How would I know if I'm havig an infection?
TIA