Brackets in the way of overbite correction!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Brackets in the way of overbite correction!

#1 Post by genxsis »

What am I to do when I'm wearing elastics to correct my overbite, but if successful, it will cause my front teeth to hit my lower brackets and not allow me to close my mouth all the way to allow me to chew food? That's a big concern I have now because I already have my two upper eye teeth hitting the lower brackets under them and my lower lip gets caught between them all the time. I mentioned this to my ortho and he said that my upper teeth will move "beyond the brackets". But there's nothing beyond the brackets except for the tooth, and if my upper teeth strike the lower ones, things will be even worse for me! Also, this has been the case now for the past 3 months, and wearing elastics 22 hours per day hasn't caused them to move any further. If my upper front teeth start striking my lower brackets, well, I can't wait 3 or more months for my ability to chew food to come back!!!

Has anyone else here been through this? And what did you do about it?
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

I had this exact thing happen to me!!

Nice to not be alone, isn't it?

What my ortho did was to flair my upper teeth out a tiny bit. This allowed the upper arch to come back as far as it needed to, no contact with lower brackets, and a nice alignment of uppers to lowers all around.

My orthodontist put a twist in my upper rectangular wire and this did the job in about 6 weeks.

Good luck!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

genxsis

#3 Post by genxsis »

Thanks jennielee81!!! My uppers and lowers are pretty much lined up right now, so I think I might already have that flare you mentioned in my upper teeth. As far as I'm concerned, all I've got left to correct are a few spaces in my lower teeth. I guess another thing that concerns me is that if I leave some space so that my upper teeth don't hit the bottom brackets, will there be alot of space there when the brackets are removed? After all, brackets aren't forever, but teeth are! Still, I wouldn't want to go 3 months or more without being able to chew. I did that for 3 weeks at the beginning when they first put on my molar bands and then wouldn't shave off the sharp edges. It was like having a couple razor blades in my mouth! After 3 weeks, I finally convinced them to do it. It took just a few minutes, and immediately afterwards, I was able to chew again. It was wonderful!
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"