College Life and Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

honzipe

College Life and Braces

#1 Post by honzipe »

Yes, I'm in college and I have braces. For any of you out there who have also moved beyond the hallowed halls of High School, but not yet in the "real" world and considering getting braces, I have a few words of wisdom. I got my braces at the end of my first semester of college freshman year. I was scared sh*tless to say the least. I'm not sure whether its better or worse to get them in HS verses College but regardless there is definitely a feeling of vulnerability associated with getting braces. All I remember from my first 6 months was trying to count down the days until I got these things off. Your in a new place, trying to make new friends, and all you can think of is how awkward you look. And yes, people stare. But, looking back now, I can honestly say I made the right decision. I'm getting ready to have these off finally and, to my surprise, I'm not nearly excited as I thought I would be. Sure I'm happy, but these braces have become part of me. I've made a lot of good friends (both guys and girls so yes its possible) and had a really good time. Its awkward when you meet people for the first time, sure, but you get over it. So thats my two cents. Hopefully anyone else out there needing braces a few years later than all your friends will just grit your teeth and do it like I did. Because, its really not all that bad.

thesallymonster

Re: College Life and Braces

#2 Post by thesallymonster »

Hopefully anyone else out there needing braces a few years later than all your friends will just grit your teeth and do it like I did. Because, its really not all that bad.
I'm a college sophomore and I just made the decision to get braces. I'm not too worried about what my peers will think, as there are a few people at my school who still have braces (one of my friends included!). My boyfriend and several other friends had braces as kids, and overall most friends I've talked to about my future orthodontic work have been really supportive.

I'm really glad to see another college student on this board, though! There are a lot of us here, I think. One thing I am worried about as far as being braced in college goes. . . I know us students tend to have odd eating schedules and little time to do anything between classes and studying. . . did you ever find it hard to keep good oral hygeine? I think I'm definitely gonna need one of those DentaKits, along with a portable waterpik (I think one of those would speed up getting gunk outta my teeth)

SDFD TSchott

#3 Post by SDFD TSchott »

thesallymonster wrote:
Hopefully anyone else out there needing braces a few years later than all your friends will just grit your teeth and do it like I did. Because, its really not all that bad.
I'm a college sophomore and decided to finally get braces about 3 months ago and I don't care what everyone else thinks about me all I can think of is I will have perfect straight white teeth instead of Full Dentures later in life :)

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

SkyWolf

#4 Post by SkyWolf »

I decided to go ahead and get my braces near the end of my first semester of college. My best friend had them so I wasn't going through having them alone. At the end of my freshman year I got accepted into the Radiologic Technology program. Most of my classmates didn't even notice the braces as most of them have had them or have wanted them. The clinical element was a lot more nerve wracking for me. Mostly because of trying to have a professional appearance which is why I got braces to begin with. It wasn't until 3 weeks into my summer semester of clinicals that I meet Crystal, a speech therapist. I discovered she had had braces as a teen and not worn her retainers and had gotten them again. Watching her deal with patients made me realize there only temporary and to not take notice of the looks I get from some of our patients. I never regret it and take the chance to show off my smile every chance I get.

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

Most people won't notice and if they do it will be considered quite normal. I had lunch yesterday with a friend with my newly brace free face and she didn't even notice I got them off. When I said something she said, "Oh I just really don't pay attention to people's teeth!". :roll:
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

jennandtonic

#6 Post by jennandtonic »

I decided to get my braces in the fall of my sophomore year in college. Believe me, not an easy decision! I thought for sure people around me would ask questions, maybe ask why I hadn't gotten them earlier. And the closer I got to getting them on, the more I noticed that almost no one I knew had braces anymore!

But when I got them on, I had nothing but positive responses from everyone. In fact, several people in my classes who noticed that I didn't have braces that Monday but had them in that Wednesday told me congratulations, that I wouldn't regret it, and some expressed regret that THEY hadn't gotten braces. I felt a lot better about it.

mayday

#7 Post by mayday »

I'm a junior in college. I also thought about some of those things, but the people part doesn't bother me as much.

There is one girl in my class who has braces, and although we never talk, it always makes me feel better.

I am more worried about how braces will affect my speak, etc when I start my Field Experience--like whatever devices I may need.

Also, this is something I didn't really think about before, but I'll be graduating before my braces come off. I'm not sure yet where I want to work, but I am limited to something within the vicinity of my Ortho's office =/. I suppose it's a good thing I like my city!

I bet if you're supportive and excited for the commitment you've made, others will be too.

ChangingBraces

#8 Post by ChangingBraces »

I'm a college sophomore and decided to finally get braces about 3 months ago and I don't care what everyone else thinks about me all I can think of is I will have perfect straight white teeth instead of Full Dentures later in life :)
I'm out of college over a year now & I just got braces a few months ago. Glad I got them after the whole interview process for a job, but ultimately I feel the same....suffer through 2 years of a goofy grin or have ugly, crooked teeth for the rest of my life. I'll take the braces!
If people even notice, they say they didnt think I needed them (that's because I never smiled, so they never saw my teeth before braces!) or they tell me they are cute.

The hardest part is dating. Who wants to kiss you with a mouth full of braces?! It's really hard when I first meet a guy; I dont know if I should point them out or let him notice... :oops:
Last edited by ChangingBraces on Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesallymonster

#9 Post by thesallymonster »

The hardest part is dating. Who wants to kiss you with a mouth full of braces?! It's really hard when I first meet a guy; I dont know if I should point them out or let him notice... :oops:
You might be surprised, some guys don't mind braces at all. I talk to my boyfriend about my future braces all the time and he's been extremely supportive. He had braces as a kid, and I'm sure lots of other guys out there did, too. If anything, if a guy notices your braces he might be able to offer you advice on them. And if any guy doesn't like you because of your braces, then he's not worth your time anyway.

ChangingBraces

#10 Post by ChangingBraces »

Any person who has a genuine part to who they are will not be concerned about a person with braces. Kissing is easy with braces ... in fact I've not found any difference with them, and I kiss my hubby many times a day. In fact we celebrated our 27th wedding anniversary yesterday! :jump:

If you should meet any person who's unfortunate enough to be lacking social skills and has issues with braces ... be grateful you were able to weed him out easily, as you'd not want to be bothering with such shallow people!

I don't think you need to tell a guy you have braces. If you're not concerned about them, why should he? I think talk about such things is boring, and indicates issues re how to relate to people. Instead talk about the things you would pre braces, and if the subject comes up naturally, be positive about it and let it go ...

Good luck with leading a happy and full social life! :banana:[/quote]

Well first of all congrats on your anniversary! :)

And yes I agree on not bringing up the braces the more I think about it. I tend to forget them a lot now anyway, but then you smile & sometimes all of a sudden people's faces change. Although, like I said before, no one has been rude about it.

mild seven

#11 Post by mild seven »

Reading this thread is motivating me... and making me a bit more nervous.

I am not in school, but I teach for a major corporation and a lot of focus is on me. I am literally 3 feet from my students and I know they are focusing on my teeth when I talk, but I guess after I get the nerve they will be focusing for a different reason.

jess214

#12 Post by jess214 »

I'm in college too (sophomore) and I just got my braces three weeks ago. :)
braced w/ ceramic brackets & wire ligs - 28th Nov, 06
debanded! + Essix retainers - 5th Nov, 08

astereje

#13 Post by astereje »

i got my braces in April before i graduated from college (2005), and everyone was really supportive. the only comments i had was that people thought i was much younger than i was (even though i already looked young enough without them). i had them on for graduation pictures, which at first i thought would be horrible but they turned out just fine.

cawphee i know what you mean about wanting to stay close to the orthodontist. after i graduated from college i moved back home and since then i drive 3 hours to my appointments.

Tasha0313

#14 Post by Tasha0313 »

I am a full time college senior and also work full time, I graduate in May WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO and I have had my braces on for 37 months now. (I get them off on January 23rd at 9AM!!!)

I have always wanted braces, and I should have gotten them when I was younger, but my parents took me to the orthodontist, I cried and showed my behind and my mom said she wasn't going to take me back, not after the way I acted. I was so crazy, I wouldn't even open my mouth to let the ortho look at my teeth, but I was also alot younger then.

If only I knew then I would have saved myself about $5,000, I would have done it, but hindsight is 20/20. I don't regret doing it now though, I think I actually appreciate it more. You know how people say when someone gives you something you don't appreciate it, but when you have to earn it you appreciate it alot more? That saying is true! I had health insurance that paid $1500 towards my braces, but the rest of it I had to pay for myself, as well as my extractions. I don't think the braces have interfered with my work, school, or social life, they're actually not very noticable. When I first got them, they felt bulky, but now that I've had them for a while, it's like second nature to me.

EKline309

#15 Post by EKline309 »

Yeah they are really no big deal, most people don't notice and if they do they don't say anything. If any of you dont have one get a Waterpik!!! It's so nice not have to brush after every meal, just use this and youre good to go.