what was your estimated time and progress like?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mommy1

what was your estimated time and progress like?

#1 Post by mommy1 »

initially, my ortho said that it would take about 18 months for my treatment. my top was banded in late february and my lowers were banded in early april. i'm now roughly 8-9 months into my treatment and he says that we're going to try to have them removed by this february, which would be about a year! i understand the ortho knows more and that the movement of my teeth are unpredictable (obviously it's fast movement in my case). i'm excited, but geez 6 months sounds like a big difference...

has anyone had a similar experience?

he also mentioned to me that i may have to wear bands..when do orthos usually make u wear them? towards the end of treatment?

thanks

honzipe

#2 Post by honzipe »

My guy told me 18 months, its been just over a year and I'm about ready to have them off too. It just comes down to how fast your teeth move especially during early treatment.

jimmy18

#3 Post by jimmy18 »

Cutting of 1/3 of your treatment must sound nice.

First consult that I went to said that it would take 30-36 months :shock: .

I went to another one thanks to finding this site, and the new ortho said I would be done a little after two years. Well I have had them on for about 16 or so months now, and at the last appointment he said we are getting close. So I am guessing maybe 4 or 5 more appointments which would put me into April '07. So that is probably 4-8 months before schedule. Which is a year shorter than the first guy.

I wore elastics for two months prior to this treatment, but am not wearing them anymore.

newmetal

#4 Post by newmetal »

Heres hoping my treatment is cut.

Newmetal

KJM

#5 Post by KJM »

My estimate was 30 months and at my last appointment I finally got the nerve to ask her how my progress was going and she looked at my teeth and my chart and told me that I will have them off before August '07!! That means I will be getting them off before 24 months! WooHoo! :banana:
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

Jillianleab

#6 Post by Jillianleab »

My estimate was 18-22 months, but recently was revised to 18 months, possibly less. My ortho keeps telling me my teeth move really fast and it won't surprise him if I finish early. I know I'm hoping it happens that way! I have a big family reunion to go to in August, I'd LOVE to have them off for that!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

newmetal

#7 Post by newmetal »

It sounds like estimates should only be made once someone is braced, as it all goes on how fast your teeth move. If your teeth move fast enough a predicted treatment of 2 years could be reduced to one year.

SimInsomniac

#8 Post by SimInsomniac »

I was initially told 15-18 months. At my appointment in October (14 months then), I had the nerve to ask how long he thought I had left, and he said "realistically... 6-9 months!" I wish I hadn't asked now, it suggests I'll go over the estimate, but who knows maybe they'll move faster. Plus a few extra months won't hurt. :D Looks like I'll be naked before the Summer anyway.

Keith

#9 Post by Keith »

I was told 18 months. I was hoping it would be earlier than that. I get mine off tomorrow, which will be 22.5 months.

SDFD TSchott

#10 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I was told anywhere from 24-36 months!
- Full braces applied on September 06
- Currently 3 months 1 week and 2 days into treatment
- Total cost of treatment $3,558 Will be having $2,000 deducted on January first due to the wounderful home depot insurance kicking in on January 1, 2007

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Aquagirl910

#11 Post by Aquagirl910 »

My actual time was 13 months over my estimated time. Yeah, a little bit longer than predicted!

Now in Hawley retainers 24/7 for a year!

jennielee81

#12 Post by jennielee81 »

My estimate was 18 months. When I was at 10 months the assistant told me I was "almost done". I've been in "detailing" for the last 10 months.

I will get them off next month.

Total time will be 21 months.

It's an estimate...things move weird. I was having my bite adjusted when a wire slipped and messed up my lower arch...then it was 2 months getting that fixed again. :wink:

Fantastic if you're going out early!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

gnashers87

#13 Post by gnashers87 »

My estimate was 18 months, currently at 22 months and no realistic hope of finishing before 34 months.

gnashers87

#14 Post by gnashers87 »

18 months seems to be a pretty standard estimate, do you think it is just something they tell us to shut us up because they have no real idea or do most treatments actually take around 18 months.

jennielee81

#15 Post by jennielee81 »

No I don't think it's a "pat answer".

My son was estimated 24 months as was my older daughter. My younger daughter was estimated at 30 months. Me, 18-20.

I think if there is major crowding or if there are extractions or large bite issues it takes more than 18 months... minor/moderate crowding and no bite issues or extractions it may be less than 18 months.

I truly believe it is an educated guess based on the work that is needed.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm