Second thoughts after extractions???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cowlypso

Second thoughts after extractions???

#1 Post by cowlypso »

Okay, I know it's a little too late now to reconsider. But still... It's just hit me that I have four gaping holes in my mouth. And it still grosses me out to think about how they got there. Every time I think about it, my stomach flips. Ick! Anyway, I guess I'm just grieving the loss of my premolars, or something. They're gone, and they aren't coming back. (Actually, they're not gone, they're on my kitchen counter, but they still aren't coming back...)

Maybe if I didn't have so long to wait it would be better. But I've got until January 4th before I start getting braced. So that gives me lots of time to sit here with big holes in my mouth and wonder what I've done. No choice now, really.

Thanks for listening. :)

MarvinBrace

#2 Post by MarvinBrace »

Hi cowlypso,

I just want to tell you that you are not alone.
I'm having my app. very soon (3 days) to get my braces, but the more I think about it the more I doubt if I want to continue. :cry:
I don't know if I want ceramic brackets (too bulky) or metal (too obvious), I JUST DO NOT KNOW. :oops:

I hope for myself that I continue with this journey, otherwise I know I will NEVER do it.
I'm writing all of these things to show you that you are not alone.

Bye....Marvin.

dymond25

#3 Post by dymond25 »

It does seem weird having to losing perfectly fine teeth, but my ortho opted for mine to be removed due to their causing crowdiness and a couple were impacted and growing in at an angle. I miss them but I am glad that they were removed now than later; luckily, I was not experiencing any discomfort with them. I start my braces treatment next week and I would have hated to leave those wisdom teeth in, just for them to continue causing crowdiness after my treatment is done. LOL, I too kept my extracted teeth, but I went ahead and threw them a way after a couple of days. I am just starting to feel back to normal this week (3 wks) from my 4 extractions of my wisdom teeth. I never want to experience that again. My bite is a bit weird now, but at least I am able to eat. I weighed 132 lbs the day of my extractions now I weigh 127 lbs and I blame that on the extractions. You two hang in there, I feel I have came to far to change my mind. It is not even an option, I did not experience that pain for nothing. I am excited to get started and I plan to make the best of the situation. In some strange way, I think this will be a cool experience. I wish my parents could have afforded braces for me as a child, but they couldn't. Now that I have dental insurance, I have taken it into my own hands to get braces and I feel like it is the best decison that I could make for myself.

SDFD TSchott

#4 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Hey don't worry I had to sit and wait with FOUR holes in my mouth and waited for a month before getting braces so don't feel so bad!

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

wonderstuf

#5 Post by wonderstuf »

I guess this means that the extractions went well, so good for that! :) And yes, you may have gaping holes now, but think of how beautiful your new smile will be!

cowlypso

#6 Post by cowlypso »

Yup... I do have four holes. The extractions went relatively well. (As well as can be expected when they hop you up on mind-altering drugs and come at you with a pair of pliers!) I've got all the gory details (and pictures of my new hockey player look) in another thread -- check out the www link.

joney

#7 Post by joney »

I think it's normal to feel like this. I have kept my teeth in a box in the kitchen but it hurts me to look at them. It just seems so cruel. I know it is frustating to have to wait a month for the brace but I feel I got my brace on too quickly, one week after extractions, as I hadn't had time to heal. It is traumatic to have teeth extracted after all.

Having said that I am now one month down the line with my brace and really pleased at the changes I have seen already. I know it was necessary if I wanted to have straight teeth to have those teeth extracted and I'm sure that at the end of this I will be delighted.

Good luck with the healing and when your teeth start straightening I think you'll feel 100% sure that you made the right decision.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Sherri

#8 Post by Sherri »

I know how you feel. You are now past the point of no return! Getting your brackets and bands on does help hide the gaps, and in the beginning I had power chains pulling the teeth back so they are pretty thick and hide the gaps too if you have them. I found the hardest part was the few days before I had the braces put on. You don't want to laugh or smile and your self confidence takes a nose dive. Hang in there and I hope you can manage to have a merry Christmas.

ngbraces

#9 Post by ngbraces »

Thanks for posting. My case is similar. I got my left upper premolar extracted as seen in the picture. It was a straight, healthy tooth. The extraction is just for space for the inward lateral incisor. Since the extraction, I have wondered why my ortho didn't have my left canine pulled out, instead of my premolar because there is no canine on my right side. This would make 2 sides even, and it could be easier for the inward tooth to come out. I know it's too late but I will bring the question to my next appointment anyway. It's been 2 months and the extraction gap seems staying the same. I'm frustrated, confused, and I miss my premolar. There is no point to return. I just hope that the outcome will be good at the end..

platinum

#10 Post by platinum »

Since the extraction, I have wondered why my ortho didn't have my left canine pulled out, instead of my premolar because there is no canine on my right side.
Canines are the strongest teeth in ones mouth. Probably they wanted to same it. For example, you might have seen people who do only have a few teeth left. Usually they are canines and something else. You won't see people having canines dropped away before the rest of the teeth.

cowlypso

#11 Post by cowlypso »

Well, I've been feeling a bit better, so I guess that helps my attitude. No more constant pain from the (lack of) teeth, and no vicodin in two days. I've been very busy moving, too, so I haven't had too much time to think about my poor teeth. Of course, anytime I bend way over to pick up a box, or carry a lot of stuff and get my heart going, my sockets throb. But mostly I'm better. :dance:

I had PIZZA, SALAD, and BROWNIES for dinner last night!!! Must be feeling better, if I managed to chew all that. I had a few moments of pain when a piece of lettuce or crust went straight up into a socket, but it mostly went quite well. I've also been eating it all day today, since I was at the new place and haven't moved my food yet. Right now I'm back at the old place to pack up some odds and ends (and my food!), and to use the internet, since we don't have the phone connected at the new place yet.

I'm actually not feeling self-conscious about my spaces at all. I've been showing them off to everybody. :lol:

So I think I'll make it. Besides, I've got a few more days to get my new house set up (and get used to having a roommate after a year and a half without one), then it's on to the Christmas family stuff, and then I come back and get my brackets. YAY!!!
:-88

Thanks for the encouragement, everybody!

privatepilot

#12 Post by privatepilot »

I was lucky as my ortho would not pull my teeth until I had the braces on. The wires and stuff hide the gaps. I had mine pulled around Halloween so I made jokes about my Jack-O-Lantern look. Yes, you are now committed-there is no turning back. Once I got so frustrated that I was going to call the ortho and tell her to get the F@@@ing things off! Then I thought about my gappy teeth and thought better about it. My flossing is much easier now anyway-thanks to the gaps!!
It's all about ME!

Braces went on 8/25/05. Div II whatever that means!!

http://www.TickerFactory.com/

valster

#13 Post by valster »

I had my extractions about two weeks after getting braces and sure, it's regrettable getting perfectly good teeth yanked!

I had a lot of pain following the extractions too, but am fine now.

Still look a bit gappy but the wires and work do hide it somewhat, and the gaps won't be there forever.

sarahxxx

#14 Post by sarahxxx »

I had 4 teeth out to and I did feel bad for having these perfectly healthy teeth taken out but I haven't looked back and the ortho said that it was healthier for my other teeth to have them taken out now rather than have teeth that are packed in to tightly :lol: . I had to wait 4 weeks between extraction and braces but I kept myself busy and time flew by...Good Luck xxxx Sarah