Poll: Whose in Braces Longer than 2 years?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chris

Poll: Whose in Braces Longer than 2 years?

#1 Post by Chris »

I'm curious whose left in braces since I joined many moons ago.

Anybody here in braces more than 2 years?

I'm at the 2 1/2 year and counting stage. :roll:

{{{BIG SIGH}}}
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

cowlypso

#2 Post by cowlypso »

My estimated sentence is 30 months, but may be longer. So I'm right there with ya, just haven't started yet. :roll:

SDFD TSchott

#3 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I was told 24-36 months so if all goes to 36 months then I'm over 2 years :)

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

thesallymonster

#4 Post by thesallymonster »

I'm estimated at 31 months, so if my ortho is right, i'll be in braces more than two years.

Eleni

Re: Poll: Whose in Braces Longer than 2 years?

#5 Post by Eleni »

I'm at the 2 1/2 year and counting stage.
If it’s any consolation, this month I hit 2 and 1/2 years as well. And I was originally quoted at 12-18 months the most!

Do you think you have much longer?
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

Clo

#6 Post by Clo »

Of course you know it, but maybe many readers don't.
I got mine some weeks before you did, May 3th of 2004.
After about 31 months they were removed for 1 month. If all goes as planned,
next week, Tuesday I have braces again. Then again the clock will be ticking ...

chrisk

#7 Post by chrisk »

Dec 30th will be 2 1/2 years for me, but my ortho said on my last visit that I will have these braces off during these Christmas summer holidays. I've got my next visit on this Tuesday the 19th so I'm hoping for a debanding date then. Btw, it will be just over 4 months since I had upper and lower jaw surgery and genioplasty so to have a possible debanding date so soon after is great.

Chris

#8 Post by Chris »

Of course you know it, but maybe many readers don't.
I got mine some weeks before you did, May 3th of 2004.
After about 31 months they were removed for 1 month. If all goes as planned,
next week, Tuesday I have braces again. Then again the clock will be ticking ...
Well, if I EVER get this brackets off, I'll still check back on you, Clo. I know that your road has been the most difficult to travel on compared with anybody on this board. You are a real trouper!

Perhaps after the 2 year mark some don't want to be reminded they are still in braces and hence, we don't see many posts from them. I guess I still need reassurance. This is a long road for some of us. Discouraging, when you consider that originally the plan was for a much shorter, easier road. Some roads just have detours...think I'll go shopping... :wink:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Sherri

#9 Post by Sherri »

I was originally told 18-24 months. I would never ask at any of my appointments if things looked like they were on schedule. (Just my way of burying my head in the sand.) My mom kept asking me why don't you ask when your getting them off, so I did. The ortho said probably some time next summer. My jaw almost hit the floor! That will put me in the 30+ month group. life does go by much quicker when you are an adult. I'm just hitting a slump in wearing braces right now. I'm tired of the pain, maintenance, and just looking this way. I am greatful to have been able to afford them at this point in my life and I got to the point that I never thought I would have straight teeth so I'm thankful for that. There is a reason though why this should be done when you are twelve instead of 40!! :D

DaisyMay66

#10 Post by DaisyMay66 »

Braced Nov 2003... will still be in braces for at least another 6 months.
So far 37.5 months

bunnyfluff

#11 Post by bunnyfluff »

I'm at 2 years 7 months right now, but they're coming off in about 2 1/2 weeks. That'll put me around 31 1/2.

I was told it would be 18-24.

Love me, that's all I ask of you....
[ May 15, 2004 ]

lionfish

#12 Post by lionfish »

I was given an 18 month estimate and could be done within that time (fingers crossed).

LoobyLou

#13 Post by LoobyLou »

I was told 18 months but now it's about 20 and no sign of the end yet so I think I'll definitely be a 2 year+ patient. Sigh. :roll:

LoobyLou x
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

SueFromNJ

Over three years

#14 Post by SueFromNJ »

I got my off last May, and my total time was 38 months, or three years and two months. I was quoted 24-30 months, but I just knew I would be in them far longer and I was right. It seems all the kids I know in braces also stay in them at least a year longer than their estimates. Very common to go well over the original estimate, it seems.
Debanded in May, 2006! Total sentence: Three years and two months. Now in hawleys which make me gag! Before braces, I had dracula fangs in their own rows, and everything else was crooked, crowded, with a cross-bite, too!

maple

#15 Post by maple »

My niece was in braces for almost 3 years. She was 13 when she started.

My cousin had braces for over 32 months. Shortly after the braces went on, he got engaged and planed his wedding around the estimated 24 month treatment time. Well, the braces didn't come off as scheduled and he had braces for his wedding, honeymoon etc. Now the braces are off and he is still happily married, smiling big.

I just started 10 wks ago. My estimated time is 2 years.
+\+