IN Pain Expander

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gramsinbraces

IN Pain Expander

#1 Post by gramsinbraces »

I am 47 and had an expander put in on Thursday, this is sunday and I'm in pain, my tongue is so sore and sides of mouth and it's so hard to eat, does this all go away? I have sores on tongue, I'm using a water pic, and Motrin. Help if there is any???? Gramsinbraces

overseasmel

#2 Post by overseasmel »

Hi there. So sorry to hear the expander is really messing things up in there. I promise it does get better, if that is any consolation.

Some things that I found helped:
1. The mildly numbing mouthwash you can buy at the pharmacy/chemist and/or teething gel like bonjella
2. Warm salt water rinses obsessively
3. Drugs. Go the pain meds.
4. Limiting talking if you can. I think I had a card in my back pocket for a while that said "Can't speak. Large uncomfortable metal device in my mouth" or something similar which I would just whip out at colleagues (!). People may think your odd but hey, I'd rather be odd and in less pain.

Are you getting surgery as well? I wrote a little post which summarises my time with SARPE and the dreaded expander- you may or may not want to look at it: viewtopic.php?t=15504&highlight=

Best of luck. I really really promise it gets better :-)o

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

gramsinbraces

Thanks

#3 Post by gramsinbraces »

Hi went to doctor today and he packed my expander with wax and gave me a mouth rinse for pain and to help heal the sores on my tongue..I do have some relief now. Thank you for all your ideas and I will definately save your email. Hoping for a better tomorrow. Thank you ....

kiwi_girluk

EXPANDER NIGHTMARE!!

#4 Post by kiwi_girluk »

Don't worry fellow braced one, the pain does go away!

If I looked back on this website I would see my post re: this problem, back in July. I wanted to get it ripped out only hours after it went in! It is now December and the expander is out, my palette is wider and braces never felt so easy. The hardest thing about this experience thus far (5 months in) has been the expander. I found spacers no problem, tightening of the wires no real issue, but the grief the expander gave me was horrific.

You will get a sore tongue, you will have an imprint left on your tongue where the expander tends to rest, you will get food permanently stuck....BUT you will also get the perfect smile you are after, you will feel relieved once it comes out and you can talk properly again. Short term pain, long term gain for sure!! It never feels that easy when you are in the situation but looking back I am happy in metal at 27 years of age and would prefer them to stay in longer than estimated if it means the smile will last my lifetime!

My tips for the dreaded expander:
-Try not to talk so much, days in the office and round my boyfriend when I didn't say too much meant a pain free day!
-When resting, try to keep your mouth slightly open so your tongue is not resting on the expander.
-Sucking ice always felt great on a sore tongue!

Anyway, that’s my two pennies worth :o) Stick with it!