College Life and Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EKline309

#16 Post by EKline309 »

Yeah they are really no big deal, most people don't notice and if they do they don't say anything. If any of you dont have one get a Waterpik!!! It's so nice not have to brush after every meal, just use this and youre good to go.

herbz

#17 Post by herbz »

im also a junior in college, and i could give a sesame less what other ppl think, i just know that my smile will be better than 90% of ppl when i'm done, so w/e. although yeah it is awkward meeting girls at first. most dont notice and some actually like it, so whatever. once in a while you'll see someones eyes wander towards your mouth but not often.

as far as girls with braces, i'm sorry but am i the only guy that finds that attractive? lol. its kind of sick to find that hot, since braces are usually associated with 10-11 year olds, but i think college girls even look hot with braces, guys usually ahve it a little bit tougher tho haha. i will admit when i smile in the mirror the braces are an eyesore - but i just shrug it off and end up laughing about how stupid i look in the end.

as far as eating, braces has made me a FREAK with my oral hygiene. a particle of food stuck in my braces for more than 5 minutes is unnaceptable. i carry around a travel brush to school and brush every time i eat, even in the public bathrooms out in the open i dont really care. whos gonna say anything.

i am also a smoker and i use targon once a day at night before i go to bed, and also floss once a day. my teeth have gotten 10000x cleaner since i got braces. i seriously think its the best thing i've done for myself.

and if anything will eventually motivate me to quit smoking, it'll be my teeth. cuz your teeth are the only part of your body where you can actually SEE the first hand effects of smoking. lungs might look much worse, but they're inside my body. can't see em.

and there's nothin better than seein a 60 year old good lookin healthy man with good posture and a perfectly white, straight set of teeth. i wanna be like that when i get older :)

got about 3-4 months left, and btw this site is fasinating to read lol

CarpeDiem

:)

#18 Post by CarpeDiem »

this is a kick ass thread! it's good to see other college students like myself with braces. Congrats to everyone who took the plunge and to those considering braces...

the longer you wait the longer until your teeth are perfect!

I cant wait to be able to smile and show off my straight teeth :D

shoshiaf

#19 Post by shoshiaf »

And yes, people stare
No one has ever stared at me while I've been wearing braces. In fact, a woman with whom I've worked very closely over the past six months just noticed them for the first time last week. Maybe it's a different mindset in the professional world, however I also take evening college classes and I haven't had any stares from students in those courses either. All in your head maybe?

shoshiaf

#20 Post by shoshiaf »

Okay, I just reread my reply and realized that it seemed a bit accusative. I didn't mean it that way, honest. It's just that personally I have never felt awkward in my braces. I feel that anyone who sees them will automatically think I'm just trying to do something to improve the way I look. It's my opinion that a person who doesn't feel confident while wearing braces will begin to fabricate feelings that other people are gawking at them, when really that's not always the case, as it may not have been the case for you.

I applaud you and everyone else who have taken the plunge into the orthodontic world. More power to you.

adrienne

#21 Post by adrienne »

I'm still in high school and I figured out that I either get braces or never .. so yeah :D
I'm actually still in my expander and after that then I'll be getting ceramic braces.
;ADRIENNE
RPE for one month: 45 turns
quad-helix, lingual arch
ceramic braces for 18 months

braces off!

BracesRacer

#22 Post by BracesRacer »

I'm a senior in college and have had braces for 4 months... I got them right during the middle of the semester and was mostly worried about how people that knew i did not have them before would react. It was definitely strange at first and I was not a fan. I have gotten used to them now though and I dont even think about them. I usually pull a huge smile and i can see the person flicks their eyes down for a second when they notice them and thats usually about it... I've had no problems kissing with them either... I just kiss pretty much how I normally do and I have not had a complaint yet :wink:

I am glad I got them and I will be glad when I am done though too!!

EDWARD

#23 Post by EDWARD »

Starting off collage or getting Braces in collage is one thing. Try starting a new job, not only having a mouth full of braces but goiing trough the day
wearing a Headgear. ( Thats not fun ).

christy874395

#24 Post by christy874395 »

i am a sophmore in college..and i've had my braces on for about 7 months now..and i am still very nervous about meeting new people b.c of my braces..but it will be worth it when i get them off and have beautiful straight teeth!

danz23

#25 Post by danz23 »

[quote="cawphee"]
I am more worried about how braces will affect my speak, etc when I start my Field Experience--like whatever devices I may need.

Wow, this is something I can totally relate too. I just had my second year clinical and lets just say it didn't go that well. A lot of the staff didn't understand me (many spoke English as a second language which didnt help) because of my removable appliance and it really did add to my problems. I really found it difficult acting professional partly because of the whole talking thing. So, yeah sometimes at uni its worse especially doing the type of course I'm doing - health professionals are kinda scary! Plus you have to be assessed and all that so it really matters how you come across to others. Hopefully braces wont be as bad!