Come in Damon Braces People!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KatK

Come in Damon Braces People!

#1 Post by KatK »

Hi All,

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I tried searching and had a hard time finding anything relevant....

So... who has opinions/pictures/stories about their damons??? I have a pendulum in now... i'll get my bottoms on in another couple of months... i'm very excited to get started! Thanks! :-)

cece

#2 Post by cece »

hey Kat, I have Damons (all metal) upper and lower...so far, so good. Adjustments take about 30 minutes and no bands around back teeth which is a plus (or I would think so anyways) :D

Good Luck!

overseasmel

#3 Post by overseasmel »

I have ceramic (3m clarity) uppers and damon (3mx) lowers. I have 8 molar bands in total- the back 2 teeth of each sides upper and lower. I need them for elastics later I believe. So no difference with ceramics or damon there.

So far the damons have been good, no issues at all. After my first adjustment on Monday where I had my ligs changed on my ceramics I was kinda glad I didn't have ligs on the bottom as well- the process is momentarily a little painful and seems to make my teeth tender for a couple of days afterwards.

BUT I'm still glad I got my ceramic uppers. They have their good side too. So all in all I love my combo. :D

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

lisaemtp

#4 Post by lisaemtp »

I have Damon 3's on my uppers and Damon 3mx on my lowers, and no molar bands. My ortho said he wanted to use self-ligating brackets in order to try to slightly widen my upper arch without surgery. No problems so far, although I'm not loving the half clear/half metal of the Damon 3's - I'd prefer all metal! The half/half looks strange to me. I didn't care about clear at all, these were just what my ortho selected. I'm probably not a lot of help for questions about Damons though, as I'm not due for my first adjustment for another three weeks!

Lisa

JoeMama

#5 Post by JoeMama »

I've been in Damon 3's for about 10 months now. They seem to be doing an awesome job at straightening and widening teeth/arch. Ortho is likewise pleased with progress. I'm very happy with my decision to get them.

The cons in my opinion are that the little doors can sometimes be hard to open after you've had them on for awhile. And there's no "all-clear" alternative.
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

SherwoodForest

#6 Post by SherwoodForest »

I have Damon 3's (I think) on my top teeth. I like the half clear/metal look, BUT I wish the clear part was on the bottom. My upper lip does not completely cover my braces, so I can always see the metal! :(
Although, I don't think it would be much help if the clear part was on the bottom.

I asked my ortho if my braces will make my arch wider, and he said they would not. But, he told me that my braces will bring some of my teeth farther out from where they are now. Well, this sounds like arch widening to me. So, we shall see.

jennielee81

#7 Post by jennielee81 »

Good advice Maryaten!!

I have Damon III's and they've been perfect for me. My teeth have straighteend nicely BUT I will let you know that it took 3 months longer than the ortho thought so that (in my individual case) debunks the "faster" theory... :roll:

Arch widening is a technical definition I think. The brackets can push the teeth to the outside edge of the jaw/arch, but cannot physically change the pallet size; just the tooth position in the arch itself.

I like the no ligature part of them and the 1/2 clear part and the doors do make my adjustments fast. I've had quite a few 10 minute wire changes in the past.

I will be done in about 22 days (well, EXACTLY 22 days) and the Damon's did a nice job...probably just as nice a job as any other bracket would have done. My ortho only offers Damons so that is what I went with.

Good luck to you, and keep us posted!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

SherwoodForest

#8 Post by SherwoodForest »

SherwoodForest braces can't move teeth. They're glued/cemented to your teeth ... and that's all they do.

Archwires move teeth. Once the archwire is put across the brackets ... only then will teeth loosen and begin moving!
KK, I am aware that BRACKETS don't move teeth, but I think of braces as the brackets and the archwire.

Higgy

#9 Post by Higgy »

I have the self-litigating and the adjustment appointments have varied depending on what they're doing...for a simple arch wire change, it would be a piece of cake...unless you have a bracket that doesn't cooperate..but when powerchains and figure 8's come into play, they do take a bit longer

cece

#10 Post by cece »

Sorry, if anyone was mislead by anything I posted...I was simply responding to Kat's request of info/opinions from anyone w/ Damon's. Didn't mean to imply that her treatment would mirror mine in any way.

KK, I should clarify about my "adjustment" times...my entire visit to the ortho usually lasts about 30 minutes, chair time is less.

KatK

#11 Post by KatK »

I AM actually getting Damon braces... my ortho has recommended and i will obviously go with this recommendation. It's just that I don't quite understand all the lingo... brackets...ligs...bands...ceramic...metal...etc... i have no idea what those all are yet. I was just curious about how people found their damon's to be... and not at all suggesting that they do more than other braces. I have a 6mm overbite... and though Damon's claim to be braces that don't need extractions or RPEs.. i DO have a pendulum... and I do understand the difference between reality and marketing. I'm just excited :-)
~ Pendulum on December 1st
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!
~ Palatal Bar installed May 22nd..
~ Damon clear uppers May 22 too!

KatK

#12 Post by KatK »

and thanks for your input Cece :-)
~ Pendulum on December 1st
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!
~ Palatal Bar installed May 22nd..
~ Damon clear uppers May 22 too!

jennielee81

#13 Post by jennielee81 »

Sounds like you're VERY excited KatK!

You'll learn the lingo very quickly here!!

Glad you've taken the plunge with such enthusiasm..... :thumbsup:

Looking forward to hearing more from you :D
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm