Free vs paid consultations

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sharpie00

Free vs paid consultations

#1 Post by sharpie00 »

Why do some orthos offer free consultations and some consultations you need to pay for?

JayC

#2 Post by JayC »

most of the ones i know offer free consultations.. i wouldnt see why they WOULDNt offer free consult... they would get so much more volume.. i bet free consulttation have more patients since they get more exposure.. ppl who pay for consul probably pretty much have to make the decision of giong to that certain ortho.. unless the fee is creditted back to their treatment costs

SDFD TSchott

#3 Post by SDFD TSchott »

All the orthos I've seen have offered FREE consoltations!

However for x-rays, molds, and photos it cost me!

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Granola

#4 Post by Granola »

It is an interesting question. Maybe Dr. Rick will see this and answer.

When I was in the consultation phase, I checked out four orthos. Two of the consultations were complimentary, and two charged a fee.

The orthodontists that I ended up choosing were one of the two who offered a complimentary consultation. I asked about that out of curiosity, and they told me that the majority of potential patients who they provide a consultation for end up coming to them sooner or later. They feel confident that the time they spend in consultation is time well spent.

I would guess it depends on many factors including how busy the orthodontist is, how they get new patients (i.e. dentist referrals or self-referrals), how confident they are that a consultation with them will net a patient, their perspective on how to assign a value to their time, etc.
Last edited by Granola on Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

Wow, this is interesting. Here in the US, I believe that most orthos offer a free consultation. But apprently that is not the rule in other parts of the world!

Regarding why you pay for some: perhaps they belong to some sort of group or insurance plan that says they should charge a fee.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

lionfish

#6 Post by lionfish »

I think orthos generally charge for consults in Australia - correct me if I'm wrong all you other Aussies out there.

lisaemtp

#7 Post by lisaemtp »

My initial consult was free - he peeked in my mouth and gave me a general idea of what his treatment plan would be - he did stipulate that he would need records and xrays to tell for sure though. The records appointment (molds and xrays) and second consultation cost $175 (which did not go towards the cost of the braces).

karebear46168

#8 Post by karebear46168 »

I only saw one ortho and he charged a fee of 150.00 for the consult, which is not part of the treatment fee, then there was a charge of 95.00 for the moulds, xrays, & pictures (also not part of the treatment fee). They told me that the 150.00 was for the ortho's time that he will spend writing to my dental & health insurance companies to try & get some sort of coverage for me (as I have non for ortho care) but since mine is very much related to my TMJ problems (and I do have bad crowding in the top) he has hope that they will cover some of it. I went with this ortho because he was highly recommended by my TMJ dentist, as he has special training for dealing with TMJ issues.

I did catch a break on the 150.00, they gave me the wrong appointment time & office (as they have several) and so I was at the wrong place at the wrong time (their fault) so they waived the 150.00!

I had been told for years (since a child) that I needed ortho care, but no money when I was a kid for mom to do it & then I became a single mom myself (so no money then either) now my son is an adult & I can finally start to take care of me.........

Rickysa

#9 Post by Rickysa »

I'll tell you why I don't charge a consultation fee...

When I was still in school and married (ie didn't have two pennys to rub together) our ice maker conked out on us. I removed it and took it to the repair shop to find out if it could be repaired or if we had to buy a new one. The fella behind the counter said, "sure, I can tell you in two minutes if it can be repaired....for $30...which can be applied to the cost of repair, if it can be repaired". So, if it couldn't be repaired, I'm out $30 (which we didn't have to spare) just for two minutes of his time.

I was a bit.....ummmm.....frustrated with that arrangement and decided then that I'd be happy to pass along whatever knowledge/recommendations I might have, for free.

If we need to take x-rays at the consultation to determine what the treatment might entail (ie impacted teeth, missing teeth, etc.) we don't charge for them either.

Dr. S
-Grad of UNC Ortho '92 (research centered around ceramic brackets)

karebear46168

#10 Post by karebear46168 »

Makes me wish I lived in Central North Carolina!

karebear46168

#11 Post by karebear46168 »

This is true KK, thanks for reminding me.....it's not that I mind paying, anything worth having is going to cost.......

thanks!

iBorg

#12 Post by iBorg »

My consult was free. It was a professional full exam. First they took pictures and then x-rays. While that was going on they consulted with my insurance. After all that ws done the ortho talked with me about half an hour about what my treatment options were. She started out asking me what were the outcomes I desired. I was nervous. I was scared. I also knew I needed to do something. To keep me from thinking about it and postponing it I asked "When can we start?" I expected an answer in about a month. Instead I was told I could get spacers then and have the braces put on the next Thursday.

Man was I surprized and still scared. Since then, I realize my fear was unfounded.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

ame_malia

#13 Post by ame_malia »

I had a free consult. I believe they even took an X-ray without charging..... Records and everything else were, of course, not free ;)

hippyhippo

#14 Post by hippyhippo »

I went to some consultations that were free and some that required payment.

The way I see it is that there are two schools of thought. Some orthos will offer their time up for "free" because they believe it will generate more interest and therefore more patients. That "free" time is actually earning them money in the long run. Other orthos would rather not risk giving 10 free consults and only getting one patient as a result. So they charge for the time they are spending with the patient. Perhaps they get less people in for consults, but they aren't losing money on them either. I have no problem with either way.

I will say that the paid consults I had were much more thorough than the free ones. From my frist paid consult I walked away with a booklet that contained my digital photos, a detailed description of my treatment plan (including what exactly was wrong with my teeth and bite, explaining all appliances that may need to be used, what to expect, etc), pre-approval forms for my insurance company. I also had a full 30 minutes of talking with the ortho and another 30 minutes with an assistant.

My free consultations typically had me talking with the ortho for only 10 minutes (and an additioanl 20 minutes with the assistant who explained the basics) and I was just provided with a very general treatment plan and cost. To get a more in depth consultation I would have to spend the money on the records first.

I loved the treatment I got with my paid consultations, but I didn't like the treatment plans as much. So I ended up going with a ortho that had a free consult. Go figure :)

platinum

#15 Post by platinum »

Hippyhippo: that's funny, as my consultation with "paid" orthodontists was just that he checked my teeth and told me the treatment possibilities.

The free one was more thorough. Fotos were taken and the doc checked my bite and explained me by using those fotos what's my problem.
I also got a written explanation about my problems and the estimated cost. Also he is against extractions, which is good.
It was very nice consultation. I went for this ortho.