Speeding up treatment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sharpie00

Speeding up treatment

#1 Post by sharpie00 »

Two questions on how to speed up treatment. I've been quoted for 2.5 years on ceramic braces. I'm 22/M.

Is it possible to speed up the treatment if I come get my braces adjusted more often? This ortho I saw says to come for an adjustment every 6 weeks.

Is it faster if teeth are extracted compared to if teeth are not (in my case, the ortho said he could file each tooth to make them smaller)?

Anything else I can ask the ortho that can speed up the treatment?

Higgy

#2 Post by Higgy »

Quicker isn't better....and 2 and 1/2 years isn't a bad time frame....if you move them too fast, you compromise the roots....why extract healthy teeth if you can keep them? Adjustments vary as to their timing based on what's being accomplished and what needs to be changed out....if you're going to commit....I suggest committing no matter what the time frame.

n216

#3 Post by n216 »

i have had mine for 1 year and 3 months now i go every 3 weeks now to my ortho i never went past a 4 week visit luckily my teeth are moving fast and im about to enter the finalizing stage so im guessing i will have these things for about another year quote 18 to 24 months
spacers 9-19-05
braces 9-20-05

SecondTimer

#4 Post by SecondTimer »

N,

No one has addressed your question regarding extractions vs shaving the teeth. When they extract teeth, the gaps have to be closed and this takes time. My understanding is that this can take up to a year to completely close the gaps, so I think shaving teeth takes less time than extractions.

As others have said, you should probably go with the treatment plan that's going to provide the best result and not worry about the time. I was all concerned about getting the shortest possible treatment time to minimize the time with visible braces, but once the braces went on and I realized nobody else cares, I'm not so concerned about the treatment time. The same goes for the ceramics. I was concerned about having the most subtle look, so I chose ceramic on top. Again, no one else cares. If I did it over again, I'd save the extra money paid for ceramics and get steel brackets on the top. My ortho told me that the ceramics will add about 3 months to my treatment and I believe him. Many people's orthos on this forum have told them it doesn't make a difference, so who knows!

Gennel

#5 Post by Gennel »

You won't always get adjustments every 4 weeks because it sometimes takes longer to fix a particular problem. My ortho said that if you don't get extractions that you will be done much faster. My daughter was given an estimate of 24 months( she had no extractions) now the ortho said that she will be done in about 18months. My estimated treatment time is 30 months. I have had several adjustments every 4 weeks . Now my last two adjustments have been every 6 weeks. In the beginning I had lots of little things that required adjustments every 2-4 weeks. The only advice that my ortho gave me that I plan to do is to wear my elastics as prescribed. He said he has many patients that don't wear elastics as they should and that prolongs treatment time by adding several months!

Gennel

Higgy

#6 Post by Higgy »

My first adjustment came at 8 weeks....then again in 2 weeks, then again in 2 weeks, then again in 2 weeks...now it's 4 weeks.....all depends on what's being done.

LadyTr0uble

#7 Post by LadyTr0uble »

I think Higgy hit it on the nose: the time between adjustments depend on what is being done. I went in to trim two pokey wires and ended up with an adjustment 2 weeks into getting braced. My ortho then told me to keep my appt for two weeks later anyway, to check my progress... and I ended up with another adjustment...
one thing my ortho did emphasize: moving too quickly is NOT a good thing.
From what I have read here on the forum and from my other two coworkers with braces, the thing that can perhaps speed up the process is by being "good" (follow your ortho's instructions, make sure your teeth are clean...)
I was concerned with speeding up my 24 month sentence in the beginning too (enough to consider taking the ceramics half way through and switching to Invisalign for an entra $5000), but now that they are on, and I've got a system, a month or two is really not going to make a difference to me.
You have already started your commitment to having healthier teeth and a beautiful smile, why not go all the way? Good luck!

LadyTr0uble

#8 Post by LadyTr0uble »

I think Higgy hit it on the nose: the time between adjustments depend on what is being done. I went in to trim two pokey wires and ended up with an adjustment 2 weeks into getting braced. My ortho then told me to keep my appt for two weeks later anyway, to check my progress... and I ended up with another adjustment...
one thing my ortho did emphasize: moving too quickly is NOT a good thing.
From what I have read here on the forum and from my other two coworkers with braces, the thing that can perhaps speed up the process is by being "good" (follow your ortho's instructions, make sure your teeth are clean...)
I was concerned with speeding up my 24 month sentence in the beginning too (enough to consider taking the ceramics half way through and switching to Invisalign for an entra $5000), but now that they are on, and I've got a system, a month or two is really not going to make a difference to me.
You have already started your commitment to having healthier teeth and a beautiful smile, why not go all the way? Good luck!