Ortho prices with and without dental insurance

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sharpie00

Ortho prices with and without dental insurance

#1 Post by sharpie00 »

So do you think orthodontists will lower the prices for patients without coverage compared to if patients do have coverage in ontario, canada? I mean, even 50% coverage is a big deal for a treatment that costs $6000.

Higgy

#2 Post by Higgy »

I'm not from Canada, so I don't know...but I've never encountered an orthodontist here that reduced treatement just becuase of lack of dental insurance.

tinseltownusa

#3 Post by tinseltownusa »

I don't have dental insurance, nor do I have a reduction on my rate. :cry:

platinum

#4 Post by platinum »

I will get my insurance going on next year. I have been visiting general dentist this year quite a lot and I got my treatment with reduced price, because I did not have an insurance.

My new insurance will cover some of my orthodontic treatment costs.

hippyhippo

#5 Post by hippyhippo »

Very doubtful. Whether or not you have insurance does not impact how much time and money it will cost the ortho to treat you. Plus, most dental insurance in Canada does not even cover adult orthodontics, so probably 80+% of adult patients are without insurance. Obviously orthos can not be giving such a high number of people a discount.

But it never hurts to ask, and some orthos are willing to work out other deals. For example, I was given a 5% discount for paying for my treatment up front instead of on a payment plan.

platinum

#6 Post by platinum »

Hippyhippo:
I was given possibility also to pay everything in once and get the 5% off.
But I don't do it, I rather pay in parts as it may be difficult to get money back...

ghostmyimag3

#7 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

I have insurance...but it does not cover orthodontics. I got no discount or reduction in price. I put 15% down and i'm just paying monthly payments under 200 a month.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

jennielee81

#8 Post by jennielee81 »

I've not only heard of it, I've benefited from it! We live in Maryland so I can't answer as to Canada, but this is not a standard here, it was a choice my kid's ortho maked on a personal basis.

My kid's ortho lowered their treatment cost by about 35% because we didn't have insurance.

Each time they figured up the cost (very comparable btw) and then asked if I had insurance. When I said, "no", they said they'd rework the numbers and give me another quote.

Then BINGO!! A much lower price is given to me. They're really great about money there! Treatment is technically very good also.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

hathetran

#9 Post by hathetran »

it depends on your ortho...right now im paying on a plan

michh

#10 Post by michh »

I have insurance, but not for ortho over the age of 19. However, my insurance did cover some of the xrays etc. that were needed before I began treatment.

valster

#11 Post by valster »

My insurance does not cover braces, but my orthodontist's office offered a discount for paying in full at start of treatment (to save the effort of billing/bookkeeping) so I did.

Dramagyrl

#12 Post by Dramagyrl »

I'm in Canada and do not have dental coverage.

The ortho office flinched for me when I said I still wanted to go through with it, but didn't offer a discount. Like some, they offered a couple hundred dollars off if I paid up front, otherwise they could create a payment plan that had to be completed before my braces came off. Payments would have been around $350 a month so with the up-front discount I ended up paying $6,000.