Speech question !!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MarvinBrace

Speech question !!

#1 Post by MarvinBrace »

Hi everyone,

I know I'm only in my 4th day with braces, but this is the ONLY problem that I have with my braces.
PROBLEM: My speech is very much affected by my braces, I have a "loud" lisp, especially the letters C-F-S.
My questions are: :roll:
1. Is it because I have alot of gaps?
[You can see my pics. on "braces stories"]
2. Or is this something that gets better as the time goes by?
3. Or do I just get used to it, but doesn't get better?

I hope somebody out there can help me. :wink:

Bye...Marvin

SDFD TSchott

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Things will get better as time goes by, I have had bad problems with my speech for the first few weeks. After maybe a week and a half I was back to my old self!

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Gennel

#3 Post by Gennel »

You will get better and you will not have a lisp. I am not surprised anymore everytime the ortho puts something new in my mouth ,how quickly my speech goes back to normal. I have an expander on my lower teeth. The first 7-10 days I had a lisp . It was funny the first 2-3 days but after that I wanted to cry out of frustration. If I tried to say " I said so" I would actually pronounce it " I thaid tho" Thorry=sorry, Thix=six
The best thing to do is to pronounce the difficult words slowly.I noticed that this helped me a lot.

Gennel

Samantha19

Re: Speech question !!

#4 Post by Samantha19 »

Hi Marvin,

I have had braces for only 2 days now and I have a small lisp but I find as I get used to having braces it gets better. Not to mention friends of mine who have had braces have had lisps and first that disappeared as they had them longer.

It's just something that happens that eventually gets better.
Samantha

Tooth-Colored Brackets and a white wire for 8 months.

Braces are off! Retainer coming soon

LucyVanity

#5 Post by LucyVanity »

During the first 24 after I got braces, some people told me I had the slightest lisp, but it went away pretty fast. I think your tongue just gets confused. Don't worry about it ^^

Jembrace

#6 Post by Jembrace »

I'm with ya about the speech! I've had my braces 2 and a half weeks and I'm having trouble with a lisp. Karen, I copied that exercise and put it on my desktop as reference for practice. Thanks for posting it!

This too, will pass....

Jembrace

hippyhippo

#7 Post by hippyhippo »

My lisp was really bad for the first couple of weeks. It has steadily improved until it disappeared completely (perhaps after one month?). So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Dramagyrl

#8 Post by Dramagyrl »

I had a bit of the lisp troubles too and sometimes people who are close to me notice a slight change in my speech right after an adjustment (teeth move so there's new sores in the mouth while everything settles). Like many other aspects of braces, most people don't notice the lisp unless you draw attention to it.

I find wax helped in the friction areas that prevented me from talking and soon your lips will feel comfortable around them. For me, it seemed hard to believe I would ever be used to braces and the lump they created under my lip and then suddenly, I was okay with them.

valster

#9 Post by valster »

It won't last forever, but like other people, I did feel conscious of having a lisp and can detect it in myself (everybody else swears there's no change.) When I'm sore it's much worse.

I worked in radio so am very aware of my voice. There is one exercise you can do to acclimate your mouth to weirdness and that's to learn to speak around an obstacle. Put something like a pencil in your mouth - straight across - then talk. Read aloud or something. Try your best to speak clearly. Now take it out and speak. Note the improvement?

jdub

#10 Post by jdub »

This has been the thing I wasn't ready for. I just didn't expect my speech to be so messed up. In my case I think it's also affected by the bite turbos, but it's annoying anyway. For me, I'm happy I went with the metal brackets - at least people can see why I sound like an idiot.

JDub

LadyTr0uble

#11 Post by LadyTr0uble »

The lisping thing was definitely something that was unexpected, but it does go away. Well, mine isn't fully gone yet, but it has gotten a lot better since I first got braced. Reading things outloud helped a lot.

thanks for the passage KK!

I, like most people, am more conscious of it than others, especially when I am leaving messages for clients. I have to force myself to speak slower to get all the s and f words out.. good thing I guess, since I tend to speak too fast...

good luck MarvinBrace!

turrrtlelove22

#12 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

Hey this is something I tried and it seems to be working...Turn on your fav music that you know all the words to. And sing!!! It helped me to make my lips and tongue do the right thing...kind of weird but it's something you could try???... :D :D :D
LiFe iS A HoOt iF You arE aN oWL...O.o

Sept. 28 ~ Consult with Orthodontist
Dec. 5 ~ Spacers In
Dec. 12 ~ Braces On!!!

sarahann77

#13 Post by sarahann77 »

I'm only a week and half into having the lower braces on. I did have a bit of a lisp initially. Though the bright side for me..I had been stuttering a lot prior and I haven't noticed myself stutter anymore. I might be focusing more on my words than before.

The lisp I had noticed that my lips just weren't in the right position for whatever word I was saying. It has gone away a bit now. Every now and then it'll happen though.

We'll see how it is with getting the uppers on in Feb.

violinist

speech

#14 Post by violinist »

My guidance counselor has a slight studdering problem w/ her braces, she getts mad sumtimes when she can't talk right. I remember at orientation she before she started talking in the microphone she said "forgive me if I studder it's because of the braces."

platinum

#15 Post by platinum »

Uhg.
I have a lisp, and people have problems to understand me. I am not speaking my native language, so there was some problems already before. But, now it is very bad. I think the lisp is because of my retainer.