Popcorn and Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Samantha19

Popcorn and Braces

#1 Post by Samantha19 »

Hi everyone,

I have had braces for 2 days and tonight I went to a movie with one of my friends.

She was eating popcorn (I love popcorn) and I was curious if popcorn is bad for braces.

Since I wasn't sure I went the safe route and avoided popcorn altogether. I am just curious if I can eat popcorn or if I will have to wait until the braces come off.
Last edited by Samantha19 on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samantha

Tooth-Colored Brackets and a white wire for 8 months.

Braces are off! Retainer coming soon

ghostmyimag3

#2 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Your not supposed to eat popcorn. But your also not supposed to eat chips and i eat them but i'm careful when i do. I have read some say that they still eat it, so i'm gonna say if you think you can with out busting something off or bending anything go for it.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

Samantha19

#3 Post by Samantha19 »

Thanks,

I guess if I am careful then there shouldn't be a problem. Maybe next time I will try a couple of pieces and see how it goes.

Thanks for the answer
Samantha

LucyVanity

#4 Post by LucyVanity »

Well technically you aren't supposed to, but rules are meant to be broken, right? XD I've definitely eaten popcorn with braces, and a bit of caramel (yes that's so bad >.<) and definitely chips. I think you just have to be a little more careful :\ watch out for the pieces of popcorn that aren't completely popped. Otherwise, you'll take a big bite of hard kernel, and that may cause problems.

One of my friends who had braces told me one time when she was eating chips, a really jaggedy piece got stuck somewhere near her molars and was cutting into her gums. She bled, and it was no fun for her. That's a rare case though.

Samantha19

#5 Post by Samantha19 »

LucyVanity wrote:Well technically you aren't supposed to, but rules are meant to be broken, right? XD I've definitely eaten popcorn with braces, and a bit of caramel (yes that's so bad >.<) and definitely chips. I think you just have to be a little more careful :\ watch out for the pieces of popcorn that aren't completely popped. Otherwise, you'll take a big bite of hard kernel, and that may cause problems.

One of my friends who had braces told me one time when she was eating chips, a really jaggedy piece got stuck somewhere near her molars and was cutting into her gums. She bled, and it was no fun for her. That's a rare case though.
Yeah, if you going to break the rules be careful. I have already chewed gum so I have already broken a rule :lol:
Samantha

ghostmyimag3

#6 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Yeah i bust my chips up in smaller pieces, set them on my molars and chew away, i just find when going to Subway your meal isn't complete without chips ha ha.
My sister in law had braces and she chewed gum, ate chips, popcorn etc. As it progresses she says you'll find ways of eating things your not supposed to, the key is being careful.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

LucyVanity

#7 Post by LucyVanity »

My orthodontist said I can have sugarfree gum, and that's pretty easy since most gum out there is sugarfree now, but I've also had a it of non-sugarfree gum too XD I plan on quitting at least that though. Good luck to all of us!

lionfish

#8 Post by lionfish »

I've never had a problem eating chips. I don't care for popcorn or chewing gum, so there's no temptation there.

Love Subway rolls/fillings!

hippyhippo

#9 Post by hippyhippo »

Different orthos seem to have different rules. Popcorn is on my "be cautious" list, as the hard unpopped kernals can be a problem. But I eat it all the time without a problem.

The only time I seem to have a problem with brackets popping off is when I break the "don't bite with your front teeth" rule. I had a very soft sandwhich wrap once at a work function (it was the only thing being served, and there was nothing to cut it up with), and yup, broken brackets.

Samantha19

#10 Post by Samantha19 »

ghostmyimag3 wrote:Yeah i bust my chips up in smaller pieces, set them on my molars and chew away, i just find when going to Subway your meal isn't complete without chips ha ha.
My sister in law had braces and she chewed gum, ate chips, popcorn etc. As it progresses she says you'll find ways of eating things your not supposed to, the key is being careful.
Thanks for the suggestions. These are really good ideas and I will try them when I go out to eat.

I just have to get to a point where I can eat solid food. Which I can't do.. yet.
Samantha

Samantha19

#11 Post by Samantha19 »

LucyVanity wrote:My orthodontist said I can have sugarfree gum, and that's pretty easy since most gum out there is sugarfree now, but I've also had a it of non-sugarfree gum too XD I plan on quitting at least that though. Good luck to all of us!
I tried normal gum and didn't have a problem, although I admit I was being very careful.
Samantha

Samantha19

#12 Post by Samantha19 »

hippyhippo wrote:Different orthos seem to have different rules. Popcorn is on my "be cautious" list, as the hard unpopped kernals can be a problem. But I eat it all the time without a problem.

The only time I seem to have a problem with brackets popping off is when I break the "don't bite with your front teeth" rule. I had a very soft sandwhich wrap once at a work function (it was the only thing being served, and there was nothing to cut it up with), and yup, broken brackets.
Yeah, it stinks that I will have to check for unpopped kernals. Since I need braces for such a short period I may just not risk it and wait until they come off before I eat popcorn.

I am not sure yet. It's not something I have to have.
Samantha

valster

#13 Post by valster »

LOL, my realtor came by yesterday with two big bags of homemade caramel corn!

I think I'll lick a piece or two.

Emerald

#14 Post by Emerald »

I've found I can eat most of the no-no things without a problem

I've eaten popcorn and chips.

I no longer eat sandwiches as braces are a nightmare to clean after eating them, but I still eat cobs which I always tear up with my fingers first then pop the pieces into my mouth behind my front teeth.

I haven't tried gum, don't really have it much anyway.

Still eat chocolate although I tend to go for soft ones or ones that melt easily in the mouth.

Samantha19

update- popcorn, no problem

#15 Post by Samantha19 »

thanks to everyone who replied.

I went to a movie the other night, had popcorn and didn't have a problem.

I was REALLY careful though

Thanks Again
Samantha