How long into wearing braces did you get a new wire

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dramagyrl

#16 Post by Dramagyrl »

More than five months into treatment (man, time flies) and I've had four adjustments. They only put a new wire on the top on my third adjustment, nothing on the bottom yet. Still just working on closing the extraction gaps.

ishasha

#17 Post by ishasha »

My ortho said he changes wire at every adjustment.
Uppers braced on 10/24/2006
Lowers braced on 6/25/2007

Julie08

New Wire

#18 Post by Julie08 »

I just got my first new wire at the four month mark (third adjustment) - a slightly thicker (but not visibily so) wire. But only on top - I haven't gotten the lowers braced yet unfortunately --- they were supposed to be braced 3 or 4 months after the uppers, but ortho still cannot brace my lowers because uppers haven't moved enough out of the way yet. Hopefully that will happen at the next adjustment. This process is teaching me patience (not a strong virtue for me).

Betty Bat

#19 Post by Betty Bat »

Howdy,
I got my braces (upper and lower at the same time) in October, 2005. My first adjustment, 4 weeks later, was only changing the ligs on my uppers. The second adjustment, 4 weeks after that, was changing one of the wires. And, I've had at least one wire changed at every adjustment after that, except for the adjustment immediately before my three-week vacation - I had requested that I get a minimal change before my vacation, and my ortho was able to accommodate that request.

So, my first wire change was 8 weeks after getting my braces and I've had a wire change just about every 4 weeks since then.

PrincessMelody

#20 Post by PrincessMelody »

4 months, and I'm still in the same wire. I have my 4th adjustment in a little over 2 weeks so maybe I'll get a new wire then, but I have a feeling I won't. I think he wants to get the bottoms completely leveled (they just got wired almost 3 weeks ago) before he moves to a new wire. Patience... I despise that word now, lol
Check out my braces story by clicking the WWW
28 months and 22 days in braces
Now in an upper and lower Hawley retainer.