Tommorrow is my day

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iBorg

#31 Post by iBorg »

This isn't what you want to hear but you need to. EAT! If you don't challenge yourself to eating more regular foods you'll never get there. You may find that you have to cut the food into smaller pieces but you need to use your teeth. Do two things. First, remember what teeth do what. Probably your front teeth are the sorest. These are the teeth you tear food with. Cutting food into smaller pieces will help them out. Chewing will stimulate blood flow which will aid the teeth healing. Two, remember what happens to any part of our body we fail to use. That ignored part will eventually fail.

Plus, do you really want applesauce for your holiday meal?

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

lionfish

#32 Post by lionfish »

Mike is right, it's best to get back into your normal eating habits as soon as you can, unappealing as that may sound to you right now.

The good news is that you'll soon be able to bite into pizza, sausage, etc. like you did before. And salad is one of the easier (if messy) foods to cope with.

dymond25

#33 Post by dymond25 »

Thanks Mike and Lionfish, I am really trying to eat regular foods. I like to eat it is just painful right now. I did eat spahghetti from pizza hut yesterday (yummy). Today, I am going to try a lasanga t.v. dinner. Thanks for the advice, I will use it.

ahamiam1

#34 Post by ahamiam1 »

For me, eating is certainly a challenge. Today is day 6 for me and I am not feeling pain. It is uncomfortable to eat b/c my wire is now poking me on both sides of my mouth (I have already had significant movement in one of my front teeth, it is completely straight already...how bizarre is that?). I have to put wax on the wend wire at all times, but because it is in the back of my mouth, I can't eat w/ it on, it just comes right off! I commend you on eating spaghetti, I just tried it and it didn't work. I could chew the meat fine, but the spaghetti itself was not chewing up, I was just swallowing it whole....not pleasant, so I stopped and am eating oatmeal. I think I will soon make a meatloaf b/c I know I will be able to eat that. I am still craving an Italian BMT (grilled) from Subway....yum!

iBorg

#35 Post by iBorg »

If a wire is poking you, go get it trimmed. I had one that I'd let get healed up, go a day without a ton of wax and have a sore again. My ortho looked at me and said it'd take five minutes nad in three my pain was gone.

Make the call.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

dymond25

#36 Post by dymond25 »

Today, I tried lasanga and I could not chew it; I am glad to hear that this chewing thing is temporary. My braces have been getting on my nerves today. It has almost been impossible to eat anything beside cake and ice cream. That stuff is yummy, but I need a hot meal that is going to full me up for a while. I hope things get better for you Ahamiam1, I notice that some of my teeth feel loose and it is quite pain to try to chew anything. Just keep telling me it gets better. I have not been in the best of mood today, b/c of the pain.

ahamiam1

#37 Post by ahamiam1 »

Mike, you better believe I will be into the ortho's office as soon as they re-open!

I know what you mean about being irritable, I have been that way all day, too. I am sure that it mostly has to do with nourishment rather than the braces themselves. I have spent a lot of time studying nutrition and I know the effects that can be had when we are not taking care of ourselves the way we should. As everyone here has said, the eating will get better! Until it does, could you try some protein shakes or ensure to make sure that you are getting adequate nourishment, it might help :) I felt better today after taking in some healthy protein.
Here's to a better day tomorrow :)
:hugs:

dymond25

#38 Post by dymond25 »

Thanks Ahamiam1, I will do some protein shakes tomorrow. I know I am unnourished.

lionfish

#39 Post by lionfish »

Dymond, there is no need to be undernourished.

If you haven't already, take a look at the soft food suggestions here:
http://www.archwired.com/soft_foods.htm

dymond25

#40 Post by dymond25 »

Thanks Mike and KK, I will check out the soft food list. I had been looking for it. I really hope the soreness goes away soon, right now it hurts to eat a banana. This morning, I had a shake with a banana. Later on I will try oatmeal. No Xmas cookies and other goodies for me :(. Now I wish I would have waited after Xmas for braces.

ahamiam1

#41 Post by ahamiam1 »

Thank you everyone for the support :D

dymond, don't worry, things will get better VERY soon! Look at it this way, it might keep you from over-indulging over the holidays ;) but seriously, today I have no tenderness at all from the pressure on my braces, I did as KK said and bent the wire enough that it is not bothering me (until I can get in w/ the ortho after Xmas). I am able to chew comfortably today w/o it hurting my teeth to bite down. Where they felt loose and tender before, I am not feeling anything. I can floss w/o pain again too and I love that! Tomorrow and/or the next day you will start to feel better, I am sure. Keep your chin up, it's all worth it!

jennielee81

#42 Post by jennielee81 »

Mashed potatoes, mashed squash, cream of chicken soup.

I feel for you as I got a really NASTY adjustment the day before Thanksgiving last year. It was almost too painful to drink water. :cry:

I did manage to eat stuffing, mashed potatoes, baked squash and WINE!

Save some cookies in the freezer for a few weeks when you're teeth are up for the challenge...I have toffee waiting until my debrace day.

CHEERS! And Merry Christmas!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

dymond25

#43 Post by dymond25 »

Merry Xmas Everyone,

I hope you all are eating for me. I feel so left out. My mouth is still very tender. This morning, I ate scrambled eggs covered in cheese and of course it hurt to try to chew so I just swallowed. I feel like it is useless to try to eat now days. Eating is no longer fun and I am very tired of jello. Yuck!!! I ate ramen noodle soup yesterday, and for some reason I felt nausea the rest of the day. So, later on I am going to eat some mash potatoes. I am sure that will be yummy :). So, should I really save some cookies for when my mouth is no longer sore? Are we actually allowed to eat cookies? I hope this is not a silly questions, but I am still trying to figure out the dos and don'ts when it comes to eating.

Ahamiam thanks for being so supportive, I am glad to hear that your wire is no longer a problem for you. Make sure you eat well today, we both know what a pain it can be to have to go without grub.

Does anyone else feel like their teeth no longet line up when you bite down? A few of mine seem to have moved or something and it is painful when I bite down. Do I have to look forward to this the whole time I am in braces?

I hope each and everyone of you have a Merry Xmas.

rachael

ahamiam1

#44 Post by ahamiam1 »

Rachael, yeah my bite feels different too, feels like my back teeth aren't quite touching and some of the ones towards the front are touching when they weren't before. i think this is just a normal thing as our teeth move to their "proper" places. They say that things have to get worse before they get better, remember that and before you know it, you will be feeling better. The day before I felt better was by far the worst day. I wanted to rip these things out of my mouth and be done with it, are you feeling that? I know it is rough, but it really will be better soon. And there is no reason not to eat a cookie now and then, as long as you clean your teeth after! I still can't eat cookies, too crunchy (and I think the chewy ones would get all stuck, ick!) so I am with you on that. this am I ate eggs and some toast which I had to cut up in littly pieces and put in the back of my mouth b/c I didn't like how it felt to bite down...need to work on that part I guess :)

Merry Christmas :D

lionfish

#45 Post by lionfish »

Just emerging from Xmas dinner last night and do I need to get exercise to knock off some of those acquired extra kgs/lbs?? Badly.

Dymond, scrambled egg has to be one of the easiest things to eat with a sore mouth, I can't quite figure why you'd have a problem.

At one stage my teeth did not line up and I think I had two opposing molars making contact, the rest did not. This phase passed for me as it will surely pass for you. And I managed to eat quite well at that time.