hi everyone

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hawaiian poi dog

hi everyone

#1 Post by hawaiian poi dog »

I'm a high school freshman in Hawaii and I'm getting braces on Jan. 15. The orthodontist said the expected treatment time is anywhere from 16-22 months depending on how diligent I am. I'm getting ceramic braces on the uppers and lowers. I have some spacing and a moderate (6 mm) overbite, but my teeth aren't crooked and I don't need extractions, so that's good. However, it's a major bummer for me because most of my friends have already gotten their braces off by now. Well, anyway, can some of you more well informed people tell me what I can expect and such, especially regarding eating food and having to brush your teeth after every meal?

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Hi there, hawaiian poi dog (what is that, btw?)

What to expect? Well, having all that stuff in your mouth is somewhat different but you will get used to it. You may have some irritation from brackets rubbing the inside of your mouth; warm salt water rinses (1tspn salt to a large tumbler of warm water) and putting wax on brackets should sort this out. Your ortho should give you wax.

Eating hasn't been a problem for me. I went with soft foods for a few days in the beginning, but returned to a normal diet soon thereafter. There is very little I don't - or can't - eat.

I clean my teeth after main meals (remove food from braces, brush, rinse) and floss every night. I am constantly amazed at what comes out!

Good luck for 15 Jan.

Samantha19

Re: hi everyone

#3 Post by Samantha19 »

hawaiian poi dog wrote:I'm a high school freshman in Hawaii and I'm getting braces on Jan. 15. The orthodontist said the expected treatment time is anywhere from 16-22 months depending on how diligent I am. I'm getting ceramic braces on the uppers and lowers. I have some spacing and a moderate (6 mm) overbite, but my teeth aren't crooked and I don't need extractions, so that's good. However, it's a major bummer for me because most of my friends have already gotten their braces off by now. Well, anyway, can some of you more well informed people tell me what I can expect and such, especially regarding eating food and having to brush your teeth after every meal?
Hey.

I am 19 and I have only had braces for about a week now. So I am pretty new at this myself.

I would suggest carrying a tooth brush and toothpast with you (I do) and brushing after you eat. I have found that braces are an amazing magnet for food and your teeth can look kind of gross. Sometimes all you ned to is run the toothbrush across to get food out of the braces.

Hope that helps
Samantha

Tooth-Colored Brackets and a white wire for 8 months.

Braces are off! Retainer coming soon