Popcorn and Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Emerald

#16 Post by Emerald »

Hey thats great Samantha! :D

Glad you got to eat something you enjoy!
Emerald
I had self-ligating braces for 4 years & 8 months.

I'm now in Hawley retainers for top jaw (during day) and Essix retainers for bottom jaw (at night).

I had Jaw surgery on 14th July 2008

Please see blog for more details:

http://emeraldsdentaldiary.blogspot.com

Samantha19

#17 Post by Samantha19 »

Emerald wrote:Hey thats great Samantha! :D

Glad you got to eat something you enjoy!
Yeah, it just takes a little getting used to the braces. Luckily I always carried a toothbrush and toothpaste with me (I hate food in my teeth) so when I got braces and had to brush more it wasn't a gigantic pain.

Of course I can't get too upset if there are things I can't eat, since they were my idea :D
Samantha

Tooth-Colored Brackets and a white wire for 8 months.

Braces are off! Retainer coming soon

hopelessjen

#18 Post by hopelessjen »

I think I've eaten just about everything on the no-no list. Homemade peanut brittle and taffy were probably the worst. I am really careful about where and how I chew and test everything tentatively. The only thing I have a huge problem with is gum. I keep wrapping it around the cleats and hooks on my last molar bands, ( which they said I most likely won't use anyway) so I only chew Extra. I am addicted to popcorn, so I just watch out for the old maids and spend an hour flossing and digging hulls out.

The Ortho gave me a list and told me why some foods were on it and I just use common sense. If nothing else, suck on food until it disolves or softens.

Way Too Old For This

#19 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I eat popcorn all the time. The only time I didn't was the first couple of months when I had trouble chewing. I'm careful not to eat the 'old maids' (which are my favorite) and I waterpik after.

Peanut brittle is still pretty much a no no for me. I tried it, but it was too hard to chew.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Way Too Old For This

#20 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I eat popcorn all the time. The only time I didn't was the first couple of months when I had trouble chewing. I'm careful not to eat the 'old maids' (which are my favorite) and I waterpik after.

Peanut brittle is still pretty much a no no for me. I tried it, but it was too hard to chew.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

bunnyfluff

#21 Post by bunnyfluff »

I've probably eaten just about everything that i'm not `supposed to`. Just be careful! :) The only things I HAVEN'T done, is bite into things like apples and corn on the cob.

Love me, that's all I ask of you....
[ May 15, 2004 ]

PrincessMelody

#22 Post by PrincessMelody »

I think I have eaten pretty much everything on my no list, which includes chewy and hard candy (mostly caramel), gum (both regular and sugar free), ribs (still on the bone), corn on the cob, chips, popcorn, and a few other things. I think the only thing I have not attempted is apples. I am just REALLY careful and take my time eating it. I think that is the key.
Check out my braces story by clicking the WWW
28 months and 22 days in braces
Now in an upper and lower Hawley retainer.

LucyVanity

#23 Post by LucyVanity »

hopelessjen wrote:I think I've eaten just about everything on the no-no list. Homemade peanut brittle and taffy were probably the worst. I am really careful about where and how I chew and test everything tentatively. The only thing I have a huge problem with is gum. I keep wrapping it around the cleats and hooks on my last molar bands, ( which they said I most likely won't use anyway) so I only chew Extra. I am addicted to popcorn, so I just watch out for the old maids and spend an hour flossing and digging hulls out.

The Ortho gave me a list and told me why some foods were on it and I just use common sense. If nothing else, suck on food until it disolves or softens.
ooooooooh during the first several weeks, I kept doing that with my gum too! Then it's like my mouth "learned better" or something... I don't hook gum on the hooks anymore, even though I haven't changed the brand of gum or anything o.O