Open Bite

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

deltawire

Open Bite

#1 Post by deltawire »

Just curious if anyone has developed an open bite during the course of having braces??? I started out with a closed bite and wanted to get a few rotated teeth straightened out. The teeth are no longer crooked however during this process my once closed bite is now open. I spoke to the ortho about it and she said that sometimes that happens, unfortunately your teeth may get worse before they get better.

So I wanted to poll the group to see how many of you actually have gone through this process while in braces? And what method is your ortho using to correct this problem.

~Dwire

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

The bit about teeth getting worse before they get better is quite common.

I'm a little different because I started with an open bite. It was closed with vertical elastics.

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

I had a deep bite where the top front teeth covered alot of the bottom.
Now the tops barely cover the bottoms, they have "opened up" quite a bit. What opened up more is the back teeth and hopefully they can fix that.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Gennel

#4 Post by Gennel »

I did also. My top and bottom were very,very crowded but I was still able to bite down. Since I have tipped molars on bottom with molarbands on , I can't bite down at all. I thought if the ortho removed the bands that my teeth would meet when I closed my mouth. He removed them for an adjustment and I was without molarbands for a few weeks. When I closed my mouth ,I noticed the open bite. It is so strange that my top and bottom teeth cannot touch at all. My top teeth have become much more aligned. I would love to see or read an explanation of exactly what is causing my open bite. The ortho said at first it was because of the molarband hooks crashing with the top molars but when he removed the bands my molars did not meet at all when I tried to bite down.
Right now if I put a slice of cheese and bite down it will just slide out lol. I can of course bite into a sandwhich since it's thicker! I will try and take some pictures of me biting down. ( I have molarbands on now so that makes the bite a bit more open ...)

If you look closely you can see my molarbands. The pic almost looks like I'm purposely opening my bite more but unfortunately this is as closed as my mouth has been in a while...

Gennel

Clo

#5 Post by Clo »

Hi,

yes, I did get a serious open bite during treatment. My first ortho was able to
line everything in the front quite well, and in the beginning of this year, my teeth
looked like this :

I am really closing down completely here, could stick out my tongue pretty far
without even opening my mouth. She tried for a long time to close this bite.
Since she seemed to be unable to get my bite better, I went to another ortho. He
was only able to close it a bit. Because of this and many other issues, I needed to
see yet another ortho. Now a new treatment is about to start and will probably
involve jaw surgery. To close the bite and to correct my class 2 bite (overjet).
Or another method is placing micro implants to intrude the molars to close the
bite. Not wanting to scare you, but due to my first (bad) treatment, now I need to
undergo a very serious treatment to try to correct this. So I learned that when a
bite opens due to extruding of molars, this is a very bad thing to happen and very
difficult to correct. But it can happen too just by moving molars and temporarily
cause a bad occlusion so that things don't fit well and a temporary open bite
is the result. Then you don't have to worry about this.

Gennel

#6 Post by Gennel »

My husband always tells me that I over analyze things and not to worry but 99% my gut feeling has been right. As soon as the molar band was removed for a few weeks it became more clear to me that it's not just the molar band that is keeping my bite this opened. For some reason I started to think that I may need some kind of surgery to close my bite. I did not have this type of open bite at the beginning of treatment. I wonder if this is something an ortho can foresee. If I would have been told at the beginning of treatment that due to my tilted lower molars and extruding upper molars , I would possibly need jaw surgery to correct it I would have not gotten into treatment :(

Here is the before:
June 2006

Current December 2006

Gennel

Chris

#7 Post by Chris »

My husband always tells me that I over analyze things and not to worry but 99% my gut feeling has been right. Gennel
I am the same way, Gennel. I keep thinking that I should stop now before things get worse. A part of me thinks perhaps the ortho can improve what I have but when he changes something, another thing develops, then I start to think I should quit now. My journey is now over 2 1/2 years, well beyond the original treatment time of 18-24 months.

Clo, do you a photo of your pre-braces bite?

I did some research on open bites and noticed several things that came up again and again, causes include tongue thrusting when swallowing and damage to the condyle of the TMJ joint (becoming shorter and shifting the bite to the back). So I assume that if one begins with a problem TMJ and the conditions are right, an open bite can develop. The last thing I read is that open bites usually can be corrected but not always stabilized. :cry: Again this has to do with the tongue thrusting beginning again.

It would be nice to hear from patients who had open bites corrected and see how they are doing several years later.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Gennel

#8 Post by Gennel »

Wow Chris, I've only been in treatment for about 6 1/2 months.My upper 1st molars are extruding to my cheek a bit and my lower 1st molars are tilted toward my tongue. It has always been that way but I was able to bite down all the way as you see in my before pic. I am wondering what movement in what teeth has caused this open bite. I still see my lower molars tilted and my upper are still a bit out. I still have some gaps next to my upper canines. Also the ortho will use elastics to bring my canines down so maybe the closing of the gaps and elastics to pull my teeth down will help close the bite.....at least I am praying for this! I googled this type of surgery to close bites and saw amazing after photos but I also saw recovery photos with serious swelling of the eyes ,face and bad bruising :(

Gennel

lionfish

#9 Post by lionfish »

Interesting stuff.

My open bite was as a result of my lower jaw outgrowing my upper jaw, which produced a small underbite, moderate overcrowding in my uppers and a 3mm posterior open bite on both sides. The latter extended from my incisors through to the first of my second molars. I could still bite, which was some consolation.

I am well aware of the stability issues post treatment. While my bite is now closed, I guess only time will tell. But I'm placing considerable trust in a highly skilled ortho to set up the best base for me.

I think as patients we scrutinise what's happening with our treatment more than our other halves do. That is only natural.

I appreciate also that if one is exceeding the original estimate, then one can understandably start to feel a bit concerned, particularly where there appears still to be much work to be done. While I try not to think about time frames, I would be lying if I said I didn't care how long it took. Despite my wisecracks, I won't be shedding any tears when they come off.

Chris

#10 Post by Chris »

Gennel, from your photos I can see your progress in getting your front teeth straight in 6 months has been nothing short of spectacular. Do you think that your open bite began with the use of the elastics? Or did it start before with the widening of your arch and getting your teeth aligned?
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Gennel

#11 Post by Gennel »

I'm not really sure if it was when elastics were started. I happen to really notice when the molarbands were put on. I was at least 2-3 months with only upper braces on. When they put the molar bands on bottom the buccal hook hit the bottom of my top molar so my bite was really big. It looks slightly smaller now , I don't know why.

Gennel

Jembrace

#12 Post by Jembrace »

Gennel, I'm also amazed at the progress of your teeth at 6 months. WOW! You aren't real far into your treatment, if I were in your shoes, I would be patient. Maybe the open bite is temporary and will get resolved once you're into the leveling phase of your treatment.

Jembrace
3 weeks, 2 days with braces

JayC

#13 Post by JayC »

i haev an open bite with class 3. i am getting surgery done to correct my underbite but as for the open bite the ortho said he was giong to fix it. im assuming iwth elastics... my open bite is only a couple of mms... are yuou ppl who have open bites gum chewers who like to blow bubles? cuz with me i think it developed from chewing gum when you spread the gum and push with your tongue to form the air pocket you are thrusting your upper teeth forward.. causing anterior tilt therefore causing an open bite.. well at least thats what it looks like for me.. my open bite loosk like its caused by anterior protrusion of my upper teeth than my upper front jaw being too "short" vertically...

after all thats said and done though, im giong to stop chewing gum almost ocmpletely.. cuz i do NOT want my open bit to relapse

Clo

#14 Post by Clo »

@Gennel : I think it is normal that your bite opens because of the movement
of your molars. They were in a position all this time that made it possible to bite down
completely. Now, as they move and made more upright, the lower and upper
molars will interfere with each other and temporarily open your bite. Once your
lower molars are almost totally upright, you'll see your bite close again. This will
especially be the case when your ortho is able to upright your molars without
extruding them. That is why I think the expander method is much better for you than
the elastics. But I admit it will need a bit of patience before your lower molars
are more upright.

Rickysa

#15 Post by Rickysa »

Interesting topic (and thank you Chris for pointing me here :) )

I think the first thing to think about with regard to openbites is etiology...is it 1. Skeletal or 2. Dental

Skeletal openbites are the result of excessive vertical growth and generally require maxillary posterior impaction surgery to correct (or you run the risk of creating a "gummy" smile with excessive upper incisors exposure by 1). trying to extrude upper incisors or 2). extracting premolars and retract the upper incisors down and back).

Skeletal openbites in adolescents can be frustrating, as vertical growth can continue late into post-adolescence.

Dental openbites can be the result of occlusal interference of posterior teeth, thumb habits, or the result of orthodontic tooth movement.

As an aside, as I'm reading your responses in this thread and others is the prevalence of openbites....as they aren't all that common in the general population. It makes me wonder if it might be secondary to the increased amount of "expansion" that seems to be occurring in orthodontic treatment.

Expanding the maxilla to alleviate crowding when no transverse deficiency is present requires the outward tipping of the lower molars to maintain occlusal contact which elevates (extrudes) the lingual (tongue) side of the tooth, and can lead to an openbite (if a normal vertical relationship was present at the beginning of treatment).

As many of you have mentioned, correcting the dental openbite is accomplished by vertical elastics and possibly occlusal adjustment of the posterior teeth.

Dr. S
-Grad of UNC Ortho '92 (research centered around ceramic brackets)