doubts?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lionfish

#16 Post by lionfish »

You can keep the popcorn, mate. If I'm going to suffer flossing for longer, it has to be for something worthwhile - like mangoes.

Will keep an eye out for Night at the Museum.

karebear46168

#17 Post by karebear46168 »

I too am having doubts!
I have been told that I need 2 years (at least of braces), 6 teeth need to be extracted, surgery for my lower jaw. I am terrified. I've had bad experiences with a tooth being pulled without any numbing! I also have no insurance to cover any of the treatment, which according to the internet the surgery can be any where from 20,000 to 35,000 dollars, then add the hospital stay, doctor's fee's, time missed from work, the ortho fee of 5,400 dollars, extraction fee's, it could cost me out of pocket over 40,000 dollars. WOW that's a lot of money. I just don't have the money to put out for all of that. :(

Chris

#18 Post by Chris »

Well, I hate to be the party-pooper here, but there is a negative to orthodontia that most people do not want to consider but some on this board have experienced: Your bite may not improve or it may get worse. Yes, folks, it does happen. We can't all be Pollyannas thinking braces cure all. Before you step into this, just like with any type of surgery, you need to weigh the pros and cons and be willing to accept the final outcome whatever it may be. Yes, the odds are it will be a favorable outcome but there is a possibility that it may not be. You need to ask yourself "can I live with what I have now or will I take the risk that this will improve my situation."

Ok, everyone, don't pelt me with stones. I just wanted to present another side of the issue. Remember, before you go for surgery you have to read a very long list of "risks", I'm just reminding you that this list exists.

That being said, I always wish the best.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

karebear46168

#19 Post by karebear46168 »

Oh I totally agree Chris, I have had family members say "you have lived with it for 43 years, can you really justify the money or be guarenteed any results?" it sure makes me stop and think, I mean I have always hated my teeth, but there are no food groups that I have to avoid nor do I look as if I'm starving to death from not being able to eat, I do suffer from TMJ problems, but I did finally go to a dentist who specializes in that field & through a wonderful retainer type appliance I can now deal with the daily pain. I keep thinking what if the whole treatment causes worse pain that will not be tolerable???

karebear46168

#20 Post by karebear46168 »

thanks for the support Denise, I have had only one consult with an ortho so far, I have not seen the oral surgeon yet, he charges a 285.00 consult fee, so I have to come up with some money first, I also was told that the ortho needs a Tomograph (an exray of the jaw joints), that is another 350.00 I have to come up with first too! I will be doing a lot of research online about the pro's and con's of surgery, the ortho did say that they can straighten my teeth without surgery, just not fix the overjet (which I just learned is different than an overbite).

The 6 teeth that need to come out are 2 wisdom teeth on top, 2 second bicuspids on top, 2 first bicuspids on bottom. The top teeth are very crowded.

I am so glad to hear that you were pleased with your pics! I bet that's a great feeling :D

JoviFan

#21 Post by JoviFan »

Hi guys - yea, I have doubts (more like fears) too and am 39! Am afraid of the pain/discomfort and am afraid things could end up worse....although I'm trying to think 'my teeth will be straight'!!! I have a perio consult Jan 2 and will make a definite decision from there! but am hoping to get braced on Jan and get this show on the road, so to speak! LOL

JoviFan

#22 Post by JoviFan »

Hi guys - yea, I have doubts (more like fears) too and am 39! Am afraid of the pain/discomfort and am afraid things could end up worse....although I'm trying to think 'my teeth will be straight'!!! I have a perio consult Jan 2 and will make a definite decision from there! but am hoping to get braced on Jan and get this show on the road, so to speak! LOL

JoviFan

#23 Post by JoviFan »

JoviFan

#24 Post by JoviFan »

oops--- got a 'debug error' and now I have a triple post! LOL

karebear46168

#25 Post by karebear46168 »

Thanks Meryaten, I will check it out.

Jovifan: I understand your fear, I have it too. But my fear is not the orthodontic side of it, it is the surgery side of it that scares me, also the fact that they want to remove 6 teeth, I guess I should look at it as only 4 teeth as 2 are wisdom teeth and I have known for several years that they needed to come out, but it is still scary......

Jembrace

#26 Post by Jembrace »

I have a brother who is 44, he just got through with having braces. He had the jaw surgery last June. I talked with him recently and he said he doesn't regret at all going through all the treatment. He just wishes he'd had it done about ten years ago when it was first recommended!

I think you need to do your research then make your decision and stick with it. I'm 48 and just got braces, I don't feel like I'm wasting my time with doing this. I spent most of my life hating the way my teeth were positioned, plus I was grinding them down and chipping the front ones. I figured I'll live for at least another 20 years, I want to have good dental health for those years.

Jembrace
3 weeks, 2 days in braces

JoviFan

#27 Post by JoviFan »

KK wrote:
...Am afraid of the pain/discomfort and am afraid things could end up worse....although I'm trying to think 'my teeth will be straight'!!!
JoviFan the best advice I can give you, is don't do this if you're living in fear! Don't encourage a self fulfilling prophecy!

Instead ... work out why you want to do this :?: What is the end result you desire :?: How you will take care of your mouth to help make sure there is little or no pain/discomfort. Focus on the good and leave the rest. Ask your ortho about for answers about the possibility of
...and am afraid things could end up worse
... to help you get over this one.

Good luck with your decsion of 2 January ... whatever way you decide! :banana:
well, there is gonna always be some fear, but hopefully a huge improvement in the end!
Karen, could you expand a little on 'don't encourage a self fulfilling prophecy'? That's one's got me stumped! LOL

joney

#28 Post by joney »

I can understand people having doubts and fears, it is normal. However personally I wish I had done this years ago as I've found the whole experience a doddle, worrying about things is usually much worse than the reality. If you are not ready however then don't beat yourself up.

When I had doubts my daughter said to me that I should go for it or I would be thinking about it in the future and wondering "what if". I am so glad I have started this. For me the cut off point was when I had to have my extractions but after that I had to go through with everything and I have no regrets.

If the surgery is what is really bothering you then I have seen others here who have been offered initial treatment with the option to have surgery for optimum results at a future date. Perhaps this could be an option for you and then you don't have to decide on the surgery right away.

Good luck with your decision and your appointment on the 3rd.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Skylark

#29 Post by Skylark »

Hi Acrobat,

I've been having lots of doubts about going ahead with braces too. Like you, I told my friends and received more of a mixed response than I hoped for. Now I'm taking KK's advice and trying to get comfy with my decision without relying on what others think.

My decision's been taken care of really because my brace day is 2nd of Jan (eek!) and when I rang the ortho for reassurance, the nurse said that if I backed out I'd have to pay for the braces anyway as they've already been made. I can't remember being this nervous but now I just want to get it over with - as people on here say, making the decision is the worst, once they're on it's fine!

Maybe KK can run some positive thinking classes for all of us nervous newbies as it's clear that a good attitude makes all of this so much easier!

Good luck with your decision! x

acrobat

#30 Post by acrobat »

KK wrote:acrobat ... I think that maybe it's time for you to get comfortable with this decision, instead of boring your friends with the details. Sorry if that sounds mean, as I don't mean it to, but from experience of people talking about their problems etc (I'm a counsellor), I chose not to share my getting braces with anyone other than my hubby and two adult children.
Good luck! :banana:
thanks for being 'mean' KK, i sometimes need somebody who says it just the way it is :)
So yeah, you are right, the only way to decide is to think by myself if i really want this or not...

Untill yesterday i felt worse and worse about it all, so at one point i thought: why don't i just blow it off, since it makes me feel that bad already! But then i realised, i just can't...it would be easier to not to it, heh all my bad feelings gone at once! but i would always regret...

So, in five days i'm seeing my orthodontist again to do the preperation stuff (x-rays and stuff). I haven't really had a chance to talk to him since i decided to go for surgery, so i'm sure he will have some new things to say to me about the braces treatment as well. And from experience i know that talking to the ortho or the surgeon always makes me more comfortable.

I'm just scared for what people will say, how it will effect my social life and most of all...how it will restrict my dreams for 1.5-2 years. I love travelling, and now i'm at the age where i can still do some crazy things like working here and there for a few months than travel with that money.
But i guess..with braces that's still possible, exept that i'll have to be back in belgium at least ones a month :p