What is this pain

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

skittley80

What is this pain

#1 Post by skittley80 »

Hey all, I haven't posted in a while, but I've had my braces for about 5 months now and i have a weird pain that i have no idea what it is. It first happened about a month ago. I was eating lunch and when i opened my mouth i felt my jaw feel funny, so as I began chewing I felt a really weird feeling go from like my jaw up to my ear. It's kind of like how an ice cream headache feels, it starts in one spot then goes to another until its gone. It only last for a couple seconds. Then everytime I took another bite it would do the same thing. I didn't think much of it and it didn't happen again until today. The same exact thing. And it's really weird because I chew on my left side, but it is happening on my right side. Does anyone know what this is. It is really painful when it happens. I'm not sure if it is something I should talk to my dentist or ortho about

Thanks

--Braced..upper and lower on 7/17/06
--Orthognathic surgery (upper and lower jaw)..possibly summer of '07

Rickysa

#2 Post by Rickysa »

Sounds like a muscle spasm in one of your chewing muscles. Happens to me also from time to time...lateral pterygoid muscle, which aids in opening the mouth. When it spasms, it hurts like all get out to close all the way down.

Dr. S
-Grad of UNC Ortho '92 (research centered around ceramic brackets)

bckydgardnr

#3 Post by bckydgardnr »

I got a new elastic configuration last week to bring down my jaw and I started with the same exact pains about 5 days ago. When I yawn the pain is where my jaws come together and goes up into my ear. It does feel like a muscle spasm, however it is happening everytime I open my mouth wider than normal talking width. :(
Gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05