Extraction vs Non-Extraction?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nickym

Extraction vs Non-Extraction?

#1 Post by nickym »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and wondered if anyone could give me any info regarding extraction vs non-extraction. I've seen two orthodontists and have made an appointment to see a third. The first ortho recommended four extractions and ceramic braces and said extraction was the only way. I was horrified at the idea of having four teeth removed, especially where they will show, so I started to look into alternatives, although I haven't ruled out extraction yet. The second ortho said I didn't need extractions but suggested mini implants in my top gum and having my bottom teeth shaved instead, which sounded equally scary! The third ortho does Damon braces. Are Damon braces more noticable than Ceramics and are they really much faster? I'm totally confused now! Would really appreciate some thoughts :)

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Extractions are not the end of the world. I had a wisdom tooth pulled 5 months into treatment. Admittedly, it's not a visible tooth, but it had to go or my bite would never be closed (one of the reasons it opened in the first place all those years ago....).

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

I know it can be frustrating when you get such widely diversified opinions, I did too. I agree with kk though, continue to do more research and ask lots of questions about what you can expect post treatment. Ask to see photos of their patients, before and after. Particularly, some who had similar cases to yours.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

nickym

#4 Post by nickym »

Thanks for the advice everyone! It's really helpful to hear what other people have heard or experienced. Will do some more research and make sure I feel comfortable with the ortho and treatment plan before I commit to anything. It's too important to rush into it. Hope you're all happy with the treatment you're getting :D

Higgy

#5 Post by Higgy »

I also had three very different consult opinions...the first wanted to us the RPE I believe it's called to expand my jaw, upper and lower....the second wanted to do extractions...while the third believes it can be done without either.....I chose to (and would choose him again) go with the most conservative...once teeth are gone, you can't get them back...so I'd be more comfortable even if I ended up having to have an extraction, to have done everything possible to correct them without that first. Go see some more...get the consults...they'll only help you make the decision you are most comfortable with.