going to work after getting braced?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sfguy

going to work after getting braced?

#1 Post by sfguy »

Hi everyone,
I will be getting braced in 2 weeks. is it best to stay home or is it okay to go back to work? Has anyone thought about this? any advice would be recomended. I will have my progress on braces on my website and it wil be under the blog section.

Please also check out my website at www.tomheng.com and please do create an account for the site. It would be great if you can sign my guestbook. I just finished working on my site and would like feedbacks from you guys. I have been working on it for 5 months.

Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone...

Tom

SDFD TSchott

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I've gone into work immediatly after getting braces and had no problem but when it came to lunch time I was starving! So I'm sure you could go into work with no problem after getting braces. Matter of fact I even went shopping, had class that night and still no problems!

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

I went straight back to work and yes, like Tim, I was starving by lunchtime. I can't figure how sitting in a chair for 1.5 hours made me hungry, but it did.

I suggest you go back to work and carry on as normal. Braces shouldn't stop you doing anything.

bckydgardnr

#4 Post by bckydgardnr »

I agree with everyone else...go back to work. No need in taking the day off. Save your day for something else...After I got mine on I was back at work by 11:00 a.m. and had to do a professional development in the afternoon.

Gardnr :D
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05

turrrtlelove22

#5 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

I didn't go back to work the day I got mine on. I went home and stared at myself in shock for the rest of the day and tried to tackle some food. And don't forget to take some Aleve or something before you go it makes a world of difference. I didn't go becuase I wanted to get some time to get used to them I guess. I do a lot of talking to people where I work and thought it would be a bit much for the first day...

So it would just be up to you and how you feel that day when you are done...**^^**...
LiFe iS A HoOt iF You arE aN oWL...O.o

Sept. 28 ~ Consult with Orthodontist
Dec. 5 ~ Spacers In
Dec. 12 ~ Braces On!!!

Wyo_Stacy

#6 Post by Wyo_Stacy »

I was done at the ortho's office at lunch time. I went to show my mom and then I went to work. One co-worker was the first to see and then I had to pick kids up from school (I ran an after-school program). The kids were really funny about telling each other. Later that night I had youth group as normal and the teens had more questions and comments. I wasn't in a situation where I could take time off and it wouldn't have really mattered if I did. Go back to work because you will have to face everyone sooner or later. I found it easier to just to deal with it as soon as possible. Best wishes.

Lisa65

#7 Post by Lisa65 »

I had mine put on a Friday afternoon after work so I had the weekend to get used to them.
Personally I'm glad I didn't have to go back to work afterwards because although I had no pain I did feel a bit stressed out and was glad to go home and chill.

ssfw

#8 Post by ssfw »

Hi sfguy,

Returning to work after your braces are placed is really a matter of personal preference. If you're a bit nervous about the visibility of your braces, you may want to go back to work after your braces are placed and there's a chance some people may see your braces and ask you questions, etc. - this way, you won't have to think about it through the night or weekend. Believe me, after a couple weeks the questions will stop. I have had my upper braces for 7 months and my lower braces for 3 months and only about 6 people have mentioned them to me.

My appts. (one for placement of the upper braces and ond for placement of the lower braces) were in the late morning and if I had returned to work I would only be there for a short time so I decided to take the afternoon off. After my braces were placed, I went to Starbucks and treated myself to a beverage and then went shopping. I was relieved after the braces were placed and this "chill-out" time after the appt. was what I needed. I know I was just a bit nervous when the upper braces were placed. After that appt., as a treat to myself, I usually try to schedule my appts. in the late morning and take the afternoon off and have a fun afternoon or take the entire day off if I have time. I do this not because of any pain or stress from the appts. at the orthodontist because I really do enjoy my appts. ( I always can't wait to see if I will get any new wires, etc.), it's just a treat to myself for going through ortho treatment.

Good luck with your appt. and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

sfguy

#9 Post by sfguy »

Thanks for your advice everyone. Happy New Year to all of you.

Thanks,
sfguy

hopelessjen

#10 Post by hopelessjen »

I had to take the day off because of the way shifts are scheduled where I worked, but I ended up going straight from the ortho to a late lunch with my parents. I even too advantage of being able to chew and had a big salad. The "pain" was mild and didn't start for me for 4 days. The only thing that hurt was where the brackets rubbed so I rinse with saltwater everytime I could and that cleared in 24 hours.

Good luck, and remember to get a drink, use the restroom and put lip moisturizer on ahead of time and rinse with salt water frequently afterwards.