out of town and need ortho help

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

akabraces

out of town and need ortho help

#1 Post by akabraces »

Happy New Year!!!

I'm out of town for the holidays and therefore my ortho isn't accessible. I was out of the country for about a month and two brackets on my furthest back molars came off. I told my ortho and he said no big deal...but now the wire is out of the next bracket, I guess the little band
broke that holds it on...sooo...here's what I'm thinking:
Do you think I can call my brother's old ortho who I know here in my hometown and ask if he could just clip the wire and had ONE band??? Is that allowed? Has anyone had a similar problem/experience? Should I call my ortho first on Tuesday or just call the one here in town??? While it isn't hurting my cheek, the wire is VERY long (out of 2 brackets!) and is now bending toward my cheek, meaning that it gets caught on the cheek and then I look funny! ; )
Thanks for any help/advice!

cheers,

*aka

dymond25

#2 Post by dymond25 »

Hello, I would go to the local denist. I am sure you rather get it fix then continue to worry. Good luck with your decision.

Granola

#3 Post by Granola »

My orthodontist has always advised me to call if anything ever happens while I am traveling. They (my orthos) would try to see if they could find an ortho who they know in the area I'm traveling to take care of me while I was away, as a courtesy.

I wouldn't be surprised if your brother's ortho would help you out, since you are the family member of a former patient. I would call your ortho first and see what they say.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

akabraces

#4 Post by akabraces »

Thanks for your help--I just wish it wasn't a holiday in some ways so I could get it straightened out right away b/c now the wire is killing me!
My ortho said before in the past that I could cut my own wire, but how do I do that? What instrument of torture ; ) ?
I tried scissors but that didn't work! It got a little better in the past hour, but I guess I should put some wax on it too...
Thanks again! And Happy New Year!

*aka

ngbraces

#5 Post by ngbraces »

akabraces,

I once got a poking wire while I was out of the country. I had one of my friends (not a professional) cut it for me using a nail clipper. It worked for me! Using wax over it is definitely helpful. Hope you get it done quickly

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

if it's a thin wire then nail clippers or something might do it, but if it's quite thick then you might need to find a pair of wire cutters, or buy some from the local DIY place.