AHHHH!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

starbaby71

AHHHH!

#1 Post by starbaby71 »

Okay this is kind of disturbing.. you know those little hooks that are on the outside of your molar bands? Well, mine dig into my gums like crazy but until now, it hasn't really caused any problems. I was brushing my teeth last night and realized that I have a HOLE in my cheek thanks to that stupid little hook. It's right where the hook would hit it and it's not a whole lot bigger than the end of the hook.. Oh and get this.. I was brushing my teeth and noticed something caught in my molar band.. I figured it was pineapple strings because I was eating fruit right before I brushed my teeth.. nah uh. :shock: It was cheek strings.. Yep, strings of my cheek tissue. :shock:

turrrtlelove22

#2 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: ...Whooaaa...that does not sound pleasant at all...eekk. Mine are bent back must enough to where it doesnt' really bother my cheek or gums...next time you go ask if they could bend them back for you maybe? Good Luck!!!.... :D :D :D
LiFe iS A HoOt iF You arE aN oWL...O.o

Sept. 28 ~ Consult with Orthodontist
Dec. 5 ~ Spacers In
Dec. 12 ~ Braces On!!!

Jillianleab

#3 Post by Jillianleab »

Eeeewwww! Cheek strings! :yuck:

I would say probably the best thing for you to do is wax the area and rinse with saltwater a few times a day. If the sopt has never been a problem before it's possible you got a little dehydrated and that contributed to the irritation. Increase your water consumption to help ward that off. I can always tell when I haven't been drinking enough water as I get brackets sticking to my cheeks and leaving impressions.

Good luck!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

manglemouth

#4 Post by manglemouth »

After :lol: :lol: for a while simply because you wrote that in such a funny way, I unfortunately can't give you any advice since I don't have braces yet...only sympathy! Some people eat string cheese, you eat string cheek :shock: Oh the stuff I have to look forward to!

KatK

#5 Post by KatK »

My cheek got stuck a few days ago, and wouldn't become unstuck!!!! Now I have a big hole (I finally did get it off:-) ) They don't warn you about these things.... :)
~ Pendulum on December 1st
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!
~ Palatal Bar installed May 22nd..
~ Damon clear uppers May 22 too!

ishasha

#6 Post by ishasha »

Poor thing. To make you feel better, when I was just braced, I got holes in the cheek as well as "cheek strings". :shock: :D The strings were pretty disgusting. :oops: The good news is that these did go away. Salt water rinse helped a lot.
Uppers braced on 10/24/2006
Lowers braced on 6/25/2007

ghostmyimag3

#7 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

lmao@cheek strings!

I feel your pain though, i have an area that my hook is diggin into the side of my cheek. I just let it go though. I'm off the whole wax kick and i'm not tryin to stick wax back there for me to swallow. I hate swallowing wax. It don't go down smoothly.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

bunnyfluff

#8 Post by bunnyfluff »

I had a hook that would get caught in the top inside corner (like right above my lips) in my mouth. But get this: it would get caught in such a fashion, it would RIP. And bleed. And...I cried. It was that bad.

That sounds painful! :cry:

Put tons o' wax on the horrible little thing until it heals!

Love me, that's all I ask of you....
[ May 15, 2004 ]

Way Too Old For This

#9 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I bent those nasty hooks towards my teeth with the back of my toothbrush. They bend pretty easy. When I had to start using it for elastics the ortho assistant bent it out a little so I could get the elastic on it.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.