Well, I'm going to get them done.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

koooba

Well, I'm going to get them done.

#1 Post by koooba »

After so many years of putting it off.
Going to my Ortho Dr. WoodS (new guy, replacing the original guy's practice).

However I have a question.

At the time of my first appointment, I was 27.
The ortho said, he could fix everything even with my wisdom teeth in place.

I went to my dentist and she said to remove them.

Went back to my original Ortho (Dr. WoodS) and he said even better, more room to work with.

Now 5 years later (yep, I didn't do it then), I went back and my old Ortho who was (Dr. WoodS) nearing retirement and during this consulatation, he brought in the new Ortho doctor (Dr.Toch) that would be taking over his practice.

Looking me over, he said he would have to (or like to) remove the 3rd tooth from the center top, either side. I'm assuming the bottom as well.

Is this common practice?

Because prior consultations at other Ortho's, they all said the same thing, whereas my first visit with Dr. WoodS (who was a very well known Doctor in the world community of Orthodontics) said he wouldn't need any teeth removed.

He said, that very minute filing on the 3rd teeth off center from the top and everything would fit fine.

But the new guy taking his practice over said I would need some removed.

My thinking immediately was, that the procedure would take months longer and this was just a way of making more money.

Can anyone here help me out on this, got thoughts, or experiences?

Sorry if it's lengthy, but it's been kind of bothering me and not quite sure now, considering the initial opinion and then secondary opinion of the new guy.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Gennel

#2 Post by Gennel »

You say the third tooth from top center? Take a look at this tooth chart with names and check out which tooth. All I can tell you is that different orthodontist have different ways of working. Some orthos prefer or find it easier to work with extractions. Some orthos like mine will see if they can save the patient from extractions and start treatment with no extractions. I was one of those patients that knew I needed extractions and my ortho and two dentists said I had to have 2 premolars on top removed to make space because of severe crowding on top and bottom teeth. If you don't have much crowding you will probably be able to find an orthodontist that will shave some teeth to make enough space. There is a limit of shaving that can be done. Have you gone to other consults recently . I would say to try to get at least 3 more consults and see if two orthos have the same plan for you.
Gennel

koooba

#3 Post by koooba »

Karen you're right, my first trip to the Ortho who said extractions weren't necessary was my 3rd Ortho opinion.

Had I not chickened out or procrastinated I would have had them off by now without extractions (that's what happens).

But if that Ortho hand picked this new guy to take over his practice and the new guy still insists on extractions, I'm gonna go for a 2nd or 3rd opinion.

I mean, the practice I am completely confident with, but the irony is, this guy ruined it all with the "e" word.

Tough dilemma for me.

Gennel yep, the canines and that's what the first two Orthos said they wanted to do when they first saw me.
However a family relative went up in arms saying, removing perfectly healthy teeth? Forget it, get another opinion.

So I ended up with the 3rd Ortho saying there was no need for it and he would be able to handle it WITH my wisdom teeth there.

I also went with him because an Ortho in Chicago that I contaced told me about this guy here in Toronto.
Basically saying, "you have one of the world's best reknown Ortho's right there in your city".

After hearing I would get them removed, I figured, okay, now there's more room.

But again, the new guy said nope, canines (and I'm assuming pre-molars) to come out.

This bites (pun intended).
:P

iBorg

#4 Post by iBorg »

I'd ask him to confirm.... canines out?

I'd start from scratch and visit other practices. If other practices say the same thing, maybe I'd do it.

If the opinions came from the same office but with different orthos, I'd view their opinion as possibly suspect.

I don't want to sound discouraging but I agree with others about the importance of the canines. Pull them? There would need to be a very good reason.

Even my unofficial mascot still has HIS canines.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

manglemouth

#5 Post by manglemouth »

iBorg wrote:
Even my unofficial mascot still has HIS canines.

Mike
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gennel

#6 Post by Gennel »

Hmmm , do you have a digital camera ? Maybe you could take pictures of your bite and upperview that shows the roof of your mouth. I've heard of lateral incisors being extracted and premolars also but I've personally never heard of removing the canines to make space. Maybe your case is very unique and seeing pictures might help get a better understanding of why these 2 orthos want the canines out....
If my ortho would have told me canines needed to come out , I would have gone to at least 2-3 more consults and NOT tell them what the other orthos said should be done.

Gennel

koooba

#7 Post by koooba »

Ya I guess I could do that, or, after the consultation, Ill ask for copies? :lol:
If they let me (doubtful though).

koooba

#8 Post by koooba »

Well that's what I essentially meant when I said practice, but, we'll see, it's on Friday again with the same guy (after 3 years).

I'll find some others here in Toronto.

koooba

#9 Post by koooba »

Just got in from Ortho, here's the deal.
It wasn't my canines, but my premolars that they MAY remove if they see that I need it.
Getting my wisdom teeth out, so that should be quite enough room, so I don't understand the pre-molars going as well. *shrug*
He may shave to make room, but said, there's so much you can shave.

24-30months. :(

But, I gotta get this one.

The cost is quite a bit, I think, just over $6100 US / $7000+ Canadian.

I'm assuming that's price, but my insurance may cover half, but still...$$$?

manglemouth

#10 Post by manglemouth »

Kooba, I had my consultation today and my treatment time is the same, 24-30 months. I was not happy either! But then again 18 months or 24 months, I figure it hardly matters anymore. So many other people on this board have dealt with it for more than 2 years, it's doable...

Here's to being in the same boat!! :-88

koooba

#11 Post by koooba »

hey congrats, so when you going to slap them on?
I might go in a month or so.
Have to do my laser eye surgery first, then I'll go with this.

Where you from?

sjsarre

#12 Post by sjsarre »

I was just about to reply and read your post. My ortho told me the third teeth on each side on the top and I was concerned it was my canines but infact he meant my premolars.

koooba

#13 Post by koooba »

*phew* huh... :lol:

In a way, I'm excited as hell to get this over with and in a way, NOT.
I know I'll DREAD the week before and the week(s)? after...:(