ceramics vs. metal

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

manglemouth

ceramics vs. metal

#1 Post by manglemouth »

I am going for my consultation tomorrow so I would like to get as much info as possible so I don't hold up my ortho for two hours! Can you please tell me what you like or dislike about ceramics and same for those who wear only metal? Because I am really leaning towards metal - I hear it's stronger, and I sure like the word CHEAPER - but then again if ceramics work just fine I figure why not have braces that are somewhat discreet?

Opinions please? Mainly I hear that ceramics are fragile and pop off and break alot? I definitely want something that can take some beating. I have a 3 yr old son, god only knows what things can fly in the air at any given moment and hit me right in the mouth :lol:

LadyTr0uble

#2 Post by LadyTr0uble »

Hi manglemouth!

I've got ceramics on, and I must say that they are discreet. They don't show up in pictures for the most part (unless they are close-ups). People have complained about chipping or breaking their ceramic brackets, but I haven't had any issues yet... and I have managed to bend a lingual hook on one of the braces eating fried chicken. I am, by no means, a "good" patient; I have been eating everything under the sun, within reason of course: fried chicken (with the nice crunchy skin), popcorn, pizza crust... All in all, they are not as delicate as many would have you believe.

Hope this helps...
Good luck!

samantha_lou

#3 Post by samantha_lou »

Hi Manglemouth,

I would just go with whatever you feel the most comfortable with personally and financially. The brackets are not going to make any difference, its all in the skill of the ortho you've chosen and the wires they use! Personally, I'm having metal lowers and ceramic uppers - I like the look of ceramics but since I don't show my bottom teeth unless its real intentional, I like the price of the metal better for the lowers!

Good luck! :D

platinum

#4 Post by platinum »

I think that both look ugly, but ceramic ones look better.
Metal ones make ones mouth look like an iron mine. I just saw a lady with ceramic ones and you don't really see them so easy.

I have to take titanium brackets because of my nickel allergy (at the moment having 5 diameter large rash on my stomach, because of my belt + my ears do not like my new ear rings and are infected).
I will look like a walking disaster.

chrisd

#5 Post by chrisd »

alright, here is the skinny on ceramic vs metal. please go with what the ortho recommends. if he/she says it does not matter go with what ever you may feel more comfortable with.

brackets are not however all the same. first brackets are tooth specific and for each tooth the brackets come in a variety of different angles/pitches/torques and so on. that is, it is NOT only the archwire, but a combination of the archwire and the bracket. the point of all that was go with what the ortho recommends. if they dont care pick what you like.

i have had both ceramic and metal an here is what i have found:

CERAMIC:
more discreet in pictures and from a distance (say 10-15 feet)
i found them to have a smoother feel
they are bigger in lenght width and especially depth ( amount they stick out)
clear ligs stain ( was not a big issue for me)

METAL:
visibly smaller
dont stick out as far
elastic hooks are taller/shaprer
have a "rougher" feel
more visible

i had several teeth that refused to move. ceramics switched to metals...the teeth moved

chris
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months

manglemouth

#6 Post by manglemouth »

Oh wow thank you all so much! Lots of great info. Upper ceramics and lower metallic seems like a good idea. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Patience isn't really my strength =)

Now what do I hear about nickel allergies? I have a nickel allergy..is this something I must tell my ortho right away so that he doesn't give me a nickel archwire?

manglemouth

#7 Post by manglemouth »

WHEW thanks! I always forget I even have this allergy as I just got used to never using anything with nickel in it, that I haven't even thought about that. And I didn't know that dental stuff had nickel in it, so it never would have entered my mind. You probably just spared me a mouth on fire :shock:

Thank God I stumbled upon this site

platinum

#8 Post by platinum »

You should tell the ortho about your nickel allergy!
There are people who have had steel brackets and had no reaction. I go for titanium as I get allegic reaction so easy. I have all the time a rash somewhere in my body. There is nickel everywhere :(

There are some steel brackets without nickel... or so they say.
Some ceramics can have steel inside..

Discuss with your ortho what kind of brackets you should take.

iBorg

#9 Post by iBorg »

I have ceramic uppers, metal lowers. The only thing I don't like about the ceramics is they are hard to see. There are times when I can't pronounce words well and it would be good for the person who can't understand me to know "oh braces, that's why they can't talk."

I have one tooth that I kept knocking the ceramic off of. I'm at the six week mark of the metal still being on. Maybe it the shape, size, time of month, I don't know.

I have offered to change to metals if the ortho thought it would help my treatment. She sees no reason to do so.

Good luck on your decision. Both sides are right.... and wrong.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Delag

#10 Post by Delag »

I think I am in the minority here - I prefer the way metal look. I find myself staring at people with ceramics wondering what the heck is wrong with their teeth. As you can see, it is a very personal choice and the only one who needs to be happy with your brackets is you. Good luck!

pinkdiamond

#11 Post by pinkdiamond »

all I have to say is CLEAR I love my clear brackets !!!!
I have them on for a year and I haven't had one chip or brake .
I have a puppie who is flying in the air smacking me in the mouth and they are fine.
Pinkdiamond :D