2 Weeks! (Late Soreness)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Samantha19

2 Weeks! (Late Soreness)

#1 Post by Samantha19 »

Wow, time does fly when you are having fun! ;)

Well this friday I go back to college braced. I got braces while on break and this will be the first time all of my friends at college (except one that goes to my college and lives near me) has seen me in braces.

Should be interesting.

But in the last couple of days I am noticing my teeth are sore. I am not sure if that is normal, the braces are just doing their thing or what.

Is it normal to be fine and then have your teeth become sore? It's not enough where it effects my eating, it's just annoying.

Can anyone answer this?

Thanks

- Samantha
Samantha

Tooth-Colored Brackets and a white wire for 8 months.

Braces are off! Retainer coming soon

ghostmyimag3

#2 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Yes, karen is right, i have had braces since Nov 8th and i've had periodic soreness off and on, sometimes all day, sometimes a few hours, it just comes and goes and i notice but it don't hinder me...actually i might be so used to it coming and going i just forget. I dont know, what ever the case is i can tell they are moving. I'm getting new wires in 3 weeks, so i'm expecting soreness for sure then.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

iBorg

#3 Post by iBorg »

The bizarre thing with braces is that one day these two teeth will hurt and the next day that tooth will hurt. It is the thermal controlled arch wire trying to regain its original shape as Karen said. If you need brief relief during something cool. The wire will loose its strength when you do that. Of course once your mouth warms up again, the wire will start doing its magical job again.

This is my second round with braces. I can tell you that this process is so much less pain with the thermal wire versus the old method of twisting teeth and locking them into position, this process seems painless.

Good luck!

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Samantha19

#4 Post by Samantha19 »

KK wrote:Hi Sam ... totally normal! :thumbsup:

The flexible archwires continue to work until they get the teeth in the shape that the wire was in, when it was put in your mouth. This means they can work for months ... I suspect years ... as it can take a long time for your arch to get to the same shape as the archwires arch. This also explains why some ortho's don't use many archwires.

Good luck with returning to college! Remember be positive and don't let your braces affect your life, and this will be reflected by those around you!

Enjoy! :banana:
Thanks, I thought so but I thought I would ask the people I know. They are better now so I guess it was just the braces working and me overreacting.

I have stuff here in my dorm room that I can take if any problems arise again.

Sorry for the delayed response, getting back to school was more of a adventure then I thought it would be. Long story.
Samantha

Samantha19

#5 Post by Samantha19 »

ghostmyimag3 wrote:Yes, karen is right, i have had braces since Nov 8th and i've had periodic soreness off and on, sometimes all day, sometimes a few hours, it just comes and goes and i notice but it don't hinder me...actually i might be so used to it coming and going i just forget. I dont know, what ever the case is i can tell they are moving. I'm getting new wires in 3 weeks, so i'm expecting soreness for sure then.
Yeah, and now that I know that I wont be so surprised when it happens. :)

What can I say? Still new to all of this
Samantha

Samantha19

#6 Post by Samantha19 »

iBorg wrote:The bizarre thing with braces is that one day these two teeth will hurt and the next day that tooth will hurt. It is the thermal controlled arch wire trying to regain its original shape as Karen said. If you need brief relief during something cool. The wire will loose its strength when you do that. Of course once your mouth warms up again, the wire will start doing its magical job again.

This is my second round with braces. I can tell you that this process is so much less pain with the thermal wire versus the old method of twisting teeth and locking them into position, this process seems painless.

Good luck!

Mike
Well this is my first (and hopefully) last time having braces. I had the same thing happen to me, one day one tooth would hurt and the next a couple others would hurt.

It's weird.
Samantha