Keeping braces clean (any suggestions)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Samantha19

Keeping braces clean (any suggestions)

#1 Post by Samantha19 »

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a way to keep my braces in great shape. I brush alot and they still look like they did when they were new, so there arent any problems.

I was looking at the Sonicare toothbrushes and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them and if so if those experiences were good/bad.

Thanks

- Sam
Samantha

Tooth-Colored Brackets and a white wire for 8 months.

Braces are off! Retainer coming soon

Betty Bat

#2 Post by Betty Bat »

Howdy,
If you do a Search on Sonicare, you will find a lot of information and/or opinions on them. There is a discussion going on now in the Dental Do-Dad's forum on Sonicare. Like pretty much everything in life, you will find that some people really like the Sonicare and some don't. And, some people like electric brushes and some like manual brushes. I like my Sonicare. A lot.

I would also suggest that you get a proxy brush and start using it. It gets into the nooks and crannies that other brushes may not be able to reach.

Samantha19

#3 Post by Samantha19 »

Betty Bat wrote:Howdy,
If you do a Search on Sonicare, you will find a lot of information and/or opinions on them. There is a discussion going on now in the Dental Do-Dad's forum on Sonicare. Like pretty much everything in life, you will find that some people really like the Sonicare and some don't. And, some people like electric brushes and some like manual brushes. I like my Sonicare. A lot.

I would also suggest that you get a proxy brush and start using it. It gets into the nooks and crannies that other brushes may not be able to reach.
Thank you for the suggesiton. I will do a search on the Sonicare toothbrushes and look at the opinions.

Thanks again
Samantha

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

I didn't get on at all well with the Sonicare and my post in the Doodads forum reflects that. Since going back to my old Oral-B electric brush which I've had about 2 years, my teeth are back to how they were before.

I also use a proxy brush round the brackets every night and use 2 different mouthwashes - Listerine tartar control, and another one containing fluoride, as unfortunately the Listerine doesn't have fluoride in it.

When I went to my ortho yesterday he congratulated me on the cleanliness of my teeth, which he hadn't done in a while, so to my mind the Sonicare was a bad buy, as well as being very expensive.

Samantha19

#5 Post by Samantha19 »

KK wrote:Hi Samantha ... my nightly clean includes using an old oral b electric toothbrush with an orthodontic head. First I rinse with listerine whitening rinse, then I brush with sensodyne whitening toothpaste. Then I floss with oral b superfloss ... the type with a stiffened end. Next I use a small interdental brush between my teeth and a larger one to brush around my brackets and under my archwire. I finish with a listerine teeth defence with fluoride mouthrinse.

During the day I do a salt water rinse when I get up. Brush with a manual tooth brush and colgate toothpaste with baking soda and peroxide before going to work. During the day I rarely brush, but use a toothpick and water for cleaning.

After tea, if I brush ... it's the manual with colgate toothpaste with baking soda and peroxide.

I also have a cordless waterpik ... which I love, and recently bought an oral breeze quickpik ... which I am learning to love. These are great for cleaning food from around bracket and between teeth!

Good luck with finding a routine that works for you! :banana:
Thanks for the suggestions. I brush a great deal and I always have floss with me.

I think I am going to look into the waterpick and perhaps a really good electric toothbrush.

Right now I am using a regular old toothbrush.

Do you like the Oral B's? I have heard good things about them.

- Sam
Samantha

Samantha19

#6 Post by Samantha19 »

Lisa65 wrote:I didn't get on at all well with the Sonicare and my post in the Doodads forum reflects that. Since going back to my old Oral-B electric brush which I've had about 2 years, my teeth are back to how they were before.

I also use a proxy brush round the brackets every night and use 2 different mouthwashes - Listerine tartar control, and another one containing fluoride, as unfortunately the Listerine doesn't have fluoride in it.

When I went to my ortho yesterday he congratulated me on the cleanliness of my teeth, which he hadn't done in a while, so to my mind the Sonicare was a bad buy, as well as being very expensive.
From what I have been hearing I think the Oral-B toothbrushes may be the way to go.

I am doing research on them now. I have heard more positive things about the Oral-B Toothbrushes over the Sonicares.

Thanks for the suggestions

- Sam
Samantha

Samantha19

#7 Post by Samantha19 »

KK wrote:Samantha my oral b is the cheap one you can buy at the supermarket and it's brilliant. I've had it for over three years and it never misses a beat. I've also got the same version in a travel model ... it has batteries, so I can take it on holiday with me. The expensive part is the ortho brushes, but I love the A1 reports I get from my hygienists ... so the money is well spent.

I have looked at the new oral b triumph, as they've had good reviews and some people on this board have written about them finding them good. I was very tempted to buy one over the holiday season, but somehow it just doesn't seem right, when my old oral b is still doing such a great job! 8)

I use a manual toothbrush for all cleans, except my nightly OTT clean ... and for that I love my electric brush, as my mouth feels excellent afterwards! :banana:
Hi,

I am going out to buy one here soon. From what I have read it seems like the way to go.

I appreciate the input. I will let you know how it turns out
Samantha