When you drink (Beer, Alcohol) do your braces irritate you?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tardissauce

When you drink (Beer, Alcohol) do your braces irritate you?

#1 Post by tardissauce »

Has anyone else noticed this...

After a night out (nice way of saying getting hammered, lol) I have noticed that the insides of my mouth are torn up worse than ever. Its not due just to talking more as I have just had a quiet beer to myself and felt the same. I've found that my mouth seems to swell a bit making my braces scrape against the sides of my mouth more. The only thing I can think of is the beer has a relaxant effect on the muscles in your mouth and causes them to swell, making rubbing up against the braces more likely. Or the dehydrating effects of the alcohol causes the muscles in your mouth to swell again making rubbing of the braces against the insides more possible.....

Anyone else experience this same phenomena?

SherwoodForest

#2 Post by SherwoodForest »

Oh my gosh...red wine makes the inside of my mouth stick to my braces more than anything else. Yes everyone says you should drink lots of water all the time, but you need to have fun, too! I just make sure I give my teeth a good brushing afterwards, and scrape my tongue!

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

Drinking water when you're drinking alcohol is definitely the answer. I know that if I forget to drink water, I'll wake up with a mouth that feels like cottonwool irrespective of braces.

jc75

#4 Post by jc75 »

I heard that red wine stains ceramic braces - is this true? I do enjoy the ocassional glass but haven't done so far as I don't want to risk staining my braces. It would be nice if I could indulge evey now and again!

tardissauce

#5 Post by tardissauce »

Thanks guys! :-88

It's funny, normally for each pint I drink a pint of water, but I guess i have to drink even more water now that I am a braces wearer!

Jesslzz

#6 Post by Jesslzz »

Wow, I didn't know that sodas could have such a similar effect as alcohol in the mouth. Never noticed that, but is good to know. :o

Full metalmouth!

MariaMetalMouth

#7 Post by MariaMetalMouth »

Oh my gosh I thought I was the only one :lol:
Everytime after a good night out, I notice in the morning that the insides of my cheeks are all cut up and irritated.
I thought it was due to more talking as well, but figured it wasn't.
Glad i'm not the only one who's noticed! :wink:
Braced: 29th March 2006
Estimated time 18 months!

KatK

#8 Post by KatK »

Glad to see I'm not the only one! I have the worst time with Corona and LIMES... i have no idea what the limes do to me, but they always hurt my mouth! Too bad! I love corona with lime!
~ Pendulum on December 1st
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!
~ Palatal Bar installed May 22nd..
~ Damon clear uppers May 22 too!

Higgy

#9 Post by Higgy »

I was told to stay away from lemons/limes especially during treatment because of their acid.

19Braceface

#10 Post by 19Braceface »

May sound weird...but i LOVE lime and salt. Especially love that combo when i have cuts in my mouth, my parents would always tell me to rub tomatoe or lime on the insides of my mouth when i was younger and would get a canker soar. Next morning it's almost all better, and the sting is kind of nice... 8)

Higgy

#11 Post by Higgy »

Do we have a drooling face???? Maybe I'll ask at my appointment tomorrow about it for some clarification becuase I'm REALLY missing my limes with salt!

Jesslzz

#12 Post by Jesslzz »

Thanks for your post, KK. That is terrible that you had to be hospitalized! I have to start drinking more water right away since I kind of like caffeine sodas...mmm...too bad. I'm planning to quit on that this year and now I have an extra reason to do so. Thanks for the info!!

Full metalmouth!

JoeMama

#13 Post by JoeMama »

Found this post funny. I used to have this problem too - I always thought it was because I tend run my mouth so much more when I've had a couple - and the fact that you usually have to talk more loudly in a bar. :-88 I never thought that it could be the alcohol or dehydration. Excellent point!
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

BracedBelle

#14 Post by BracedBelle »

My first post and it relates to alcohol... why is this not surprising? :lol: :roll:

The first few times I had a few drinks with my braces, I woke up the next morning in absolute agony... my cheeks were ripped apart! I realized it was dehydration, and now I drink a lot of water if I'm having alcohol. I also, even if I'm intoxicated, remember to wax a few strategic brackets which cause me the most pain. It helps sooo much!

tardissauce

#15 Post by tardissauce »

I am soooo happy I am not alone!!! :dance:
I'm now drinking, extra, extra water and using preventive wax before becoming intoxicated!
Lets see how this weekend goes....