How are you paying for your braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PrincessMelody

#16 Post by PrincessMelody »

No money down and no interest. Payments are ~$70 a month for 30 months. Not too bad but there is still 26 months of payments left.
Check out my braces story by clicking the WWW
28 months and 22 days in braces
Now in an upper and lower Hawley retainer.

MsViola

#17 Post by MsViola »

I wish more people offered payment plans like the one PrincessMelody has

aggiechick

#18 Post by aggiechick »

My insurance covers $1500, and I put enough in my Flexible Spending Account to cover the rest.

Tasha0313

#19 Post by Tasha0313 »

My dental insurance paid for $1500 of my treatment.

And like an idiot, my job offered the FSA, but I really didn't understand it, so I didn't get it. So the rest of the $3500 I paid myself. My ortho office is wonderful, they let you postdate your payment to the days that you get paid.

I'm done paying for them now wooooooooo hooooooooooooooo!!!

:P

Stich

#20 Post by Stich »

$5080 total. $750 down payment, $161 monthly payments for 26 months. My insurance only covers othodontics for kids so it is all out of my pocket.

SDFD TSchott

#21 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Stich wrote:$5080 total. $750 down payment, $161 monthly payments for 26 months. My insurance only covers othodontics for kids so it is all out of my pocket.
That must suck, I had dental insurance that only covered for kids up to age 19, so if I started when I was 18 I would of been covered. Other then that they recently added another higher dental insurance which allows adult ortho so I checked it out upgraded and called to confirm that they would cover and behold they cover my ortho treatment.

SDFD TSchott
(~Tim~)

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Drama Queen

#22 Post by Drama Queen »

I am paying for it myself. I paid a deposit at the start of the treatment and pay the rest in montly installments over the next 18 months. This month I will be making my 6th payment.

Lau xx
Braced on 25 July 2006 Ceramic upper and lowers
Braces off on 3 April 2008

ghostmyimag3

#23 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

OUT OF MY POCKET
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

JoeMama

#24 Post by JoeMama »

I paid out of pocket too - 100%. I paid it all upfront to get a discount and because I hate montly payments.
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

jess214

#25 Post by jess214 »

I'm still a university student, so I'm only able to work part-time teaching English, which is how I'm paying for my braces. I'm getting no financial support from my parents. Supposedly, my parents are going to pay me back later on though (maybe in a few years' time) - I'm only paying for them first because they do not have the ability to afford them for me at the moment.
braced w/ ceramic brackets & wire ligs - 28th Nov, 06
debanded! + Essix retainers - 5th Nov, 08

tnj1220

#26 Post by tnj1220 »

My father-in-law works for a small company who (at the time) handled their health & dental insurance plans privately (i.e. out of their own pocket). They covered dependents as well. Dental & orthodontic treatment were covered 100% for dependents up to 25 years of age.

When my sister-in-law (who nobody ever thought needed any work) realized this, she had an orthodontic consultation just to see if there was anything she might want to do in order to take advantage of the coverage, and decided to get her midline corrected. She had full top & bottom braces installed one month before her 25th birthday and wore them for about 18 months.

100% covered; no out of pocket for her or her dad.

She was thrilled with the results, and remains so to this day. No retainers either; truly one of the lucky.

It really shows you that you need to watch for the opportunities and take them while they're there!

T

Big Dave

#27 Post by Big Dave »

I had a fixed fee over 10 months clarity 3 top and bottom, total cost without whitening bonding etc was £2500. I have had about 12 adjustments so far,I am nearing completion ,1 year only. My ortho is quick! I recon he is roughly on £20.80 /min. I'm not suggesting that it's money for nothing,as you pay for consultations,expertease,offices,materials,retainers etc etc.....Have any of you seen a poor ortho?

Regards,

Big Dave.

iBorg

#28 Post by iBorg »

My insurance will cover kids; I'm well past that. I had set money aside in a flexible spending account for bonding of my teeth. When I kept on being uncomfortable with what all the dentist wanted to do, I asked a hygienist friend and she suggested braces instead. The difference in money is about $1200.

I made a down payment and have been drawing down my spending account every month to pay monthly payments.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

tnj1220

#29 Post by tnj1220 »

[quote="KK"][quote] No retainers either; truly one of the lucky. [/quote] Ummm [color=indigo][b]T[/b][/color] ... there's no such thing as 'no retainers' if you want your teeth to remain in the same place. :oops: Teeth continue to move during our life ... the only way to prevent this is by some form of retainers for life. This usually means some full time wear followed by between every night to a few[b] nights a week for life[/b]!

If you want to check this out do some google searches and read why there's so many second timers on ths web site.[/quote]

I must be mistaken; perhaps she had some permanent work done (a bridge or implant or something), or maybe she just doesn't wear the retainers (anymore)? Or maybe she does and I just don't know. If I think about it when I talk to her I will ask.

T

M1k3y

#30 Post by M1k3y »

Well my story is long but I'll try shorten it. I live minutes away from the mexican border here in south texas so I had 2 options. 1)Get braces here in the states for about 4grand for metal braces and have my dental insurance pay for $1000.00 and make monthly payments. 2)Go across the border to a reputable orthodontist that will take my american insurance and charge way less for the same type of treatment. Suffice it to say I went with option #2 and I was charged $2100.00 total and my dental insurance took care of $800.00 of it. I owe about $600.00 and have 1 year to pay it off. Oh yeah and I got ceramic braces too. So it all worked out for me. :wink:
Braced 5-27-06 - 18 months with braces
Case 1 - minor crookedness
Envision Composite Brackets
M1k3y's introduction with photos
M1k3y's journey with photos

Debranded 3-20-08