First Adjustment and a giggle...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

*boom!*

First Adjustment and a giggle...

#1 Post by *boom!* »

I had my first adjustment today. It went well and I'm feeling fine right now. I had four extractions about a week after having most of the top put on (no wire where the teeth were to be pulled) and now have a full wire and a spring to start pushing two of my teeth apart (I have one hidden behind the front teeth). I have bright blue ligs now. :D

Well here's the giggle, Sunday night I was looking for my appointment card and figured it was in with my original paperwork. Quick background: I had my braces put on the day before Thanksgiving, had my teeth pulled a week later, had all the Christmas parties and festivities, a couple of helper days at my daughter's school, and just got over a bought of bronchitis and pharyngitis. Well, I never looked at the paperwork from the ortho until Sunday. I was reading it over and found that a proxy brush should be used twice a day and that a fluoride rinse is also recommended. Well, I remember finding a handle for something (I think my five year old ran off with the proxy brush) but didn't have any tips for it.

I don't know how to make this shorter... :)

Anyhow, so for the last six weeks I haven't used a proxy brush or fluoride and thought that I would be chastised today. Quite the contrary as they told me I have "impecable" oral hygiene. LOL I did admit to my blunder and was told to just keeping what I've been doing because it's great.

Just so you know, I brush after eating anything.

I floss, brush and use mouth wash before bedtime.
[/url]

TuZZi

#2 Post by TuZZi »

It's funny sometimes how they expect us to be doing things by the book, and when they hear we haven't.... realise it's an awesome job anyways!

I usually brush only once a day, twice if I ate something that really needs to get cleaned out, or I'm on the way to the ortho or dentist. But 95% of the time, I brush once a day. I floss MAYBE 5 times between monthly appointments, don't use proxy brushes or anything other than an electric sonic-complete toothbrush, interdental pick and toothpicks.....

I've been praised for my oral hygeine since the 3rd month! What's funny, is that I brushed more, flossed more, used mouthwash, and all the bells and whistles for the first 2 months... then got lazy.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

*boom!*

#3 Post by *boom!* »

I think three times a day is great. Honestly, if I worked outside the home I'm sure I wouldn't do it as often as I do. Often times after I eat I just would prefer to brush and feel really clean. Being at home, spending a couple of extra minutes in the bathroom a couple of extra times a day to feel better is definitely worth it to me.

:D
[/url]

joney

#4 Post by joney »

Hi *boom* I too have a hidden tooth and a spring, let's hope they come out of hiding soon!

I must admit that I never flossed before I got my braces on, mainly because most teeth were so tightly packed together that there wasn't any space. I tried it once but my gums bled and I thought that must be a bad sign, I now know better. However the ortho said my oral hygiene was good! The only thing I can put this down to is the fact that I had 3 monthly visits to the hygienist and perhaps the fact that the teeth were so tight that food really couldn't get trapped.

Now I am a convert and my teeth only feel really really clean when I floss them at night. My husband recently became a convert to flossing after he was told that his gums were receeding and thankfully he has the situation under control now.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)