How are you paying for your braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SimInsomniac

#31 Post by SimInsomniac »

I'm paying nothing at all! 8)
I'm a private patient in the UK, but both my dentist and ortho work on under 18s for free. However, a couple of months after I got braced my ortho changed the policy for new patients so over 16s would have to pay unless they're on the NHS. Had I been planning on being braced a bit later I would still have my old teeth, as they weren't bad enough for NHS. :) My family wouldn't have spent that much money either so I'm very very glad.

Sim
Damon 3 braces for 22.5 months.
30th August 2005 - 13th July 2007

cowlypso

#32 Post by cowlypso »

My insurance doesn't cover adults and my job doesn't qualify me for an FSA. So... All out of pocket. Fortunately, I had it in my savings account so I was able to pay up front and get the 5% off. Plus, it's nice not having to worry about making monthly payments. I've got enough of those! :roll:

Sbebs

#33 Post by Sbebs »

My insurance kicks in and covers any amount over 2000.00.

Fortunately for me my ortho is giving me a great deal since I am his first patient, and that the first set of brackets he put on popped off in the first 4 hours.

I'm paying him the cost of materials which is 1000.00 @ 100/month.

Braced with 3M Clarity ceramics, except molar brackets in metal
Uppers 1/10/07 Lowers 3/8/07 Estimated 18 months

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... highlight=

Amburly

#34 Post by Amburly »

I have dental insurance but it only covers up till the age of 19 like most insurance...if I had only been a little quicker to make the first move.

Anyhow, because I need so much appliance my total cost is around $5200.00

I put 200.00 down for my records
710.00 down payment

and I pay 185.00 a month for just under two years.
I have been paying double payments each month so I can have these things paid off way before then.

platinum

#35 Post by platinum »

My down payment was 1500, and I will pay monthly $250.
Insurance covers $1000.

giggy18

#36 Post by giggy18 »

Preferred Provider fee: $4300
Clear brackets: $600

Dental insurance covers: $2500

I pay $450 on the first 2 visits to have the brackets on. And then I pay about $94 each month for 18 months.

My ortho told me it's quite rare that dental insurance plans pay $2500. But then, I work for a company part of the biggest insurance broker in the world.

Shanon

#37 Post by Shanon »

$200 down and $148 a month for 24 months, sadly i've only made 5 payments.......Long way to go......

BracedBelle

#38 Post by BracedBelle »

My treatment plan is $6000+. I paid $1000 down from my savings, and monthly payments for the rest over 2.5 years. I can submit $1500 to my dental plan (they'll pay half of every payment until I hit the $1500 max)

thesallymonster

#39 Post by thesallymonster »

I don't have to put any money down, and I will be paying $129 a month, no interest, throughout my ~31 months of treatment. I also paid $129 for my records and I will have to pay around $500 or so for my retainers at the end.

If the insurance works out (which it probably will but I'm awaiting the pre-authorization) I will pay $109 a month until the out-of-pocket expenses are paid off and insurance pays for the retainer.
*The Sallymonster*

Now in elastics, too! Since 2/25/09.

tnj1220

#40 Post by tnj1220 »

[quote="Meryaten"][quote][quote][quote] No retainers either; truly one of the lucky. [/quote] Ummm [color=indigo][b]T[/b][/color] ... there's no such thing as 'no retainers' if you want your teeth to remain in the same place. :oops: Teeth continue to move during our life ... the only way to prevent this is by some form of retainers for life. This usually means some full time wear followed by between every night to a few[b] nights a week for life[/b]!

If you want to check this out do some google searches and read why there's so many second timers on ths web site.[/quote]

I must be mistaken; perhaps she had some permanent work done (a bridge or implant or something), or maybe she just doesn't wear the retainers (anymore)? Or maybe she does and I just don't know. If I think about it when I talk to her I will ask.

T[/quote]
Maybe it's just not caught up with her yet.[/quote]

after 15 years; I doubt that. I think one of two things:

1) I just don't know what her post-braces treatment was/is, or
2) it caught up with her and nobody has noticed (I did say nobody ever thought she needed worK).

ema27

its free!!

#41 Post by ema27 »

All my treatment is free -good ole nhs.I Went to my dentist in late november who refered me to my local orthodontist.I Then recieved my consulant appointment for dec12th,next week my surgeon.the braces are being put on the 23rd of this month.im 27 and so pleased that its happening quite swiftly and it free!

MsViola

#42 Post by MsViola »

I wish "FREE" was an option for me.
Last edited by MsViola on Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months

Hawa

#43 Post by Hawa »

Ema27 thats great News! Hope it all goes well for you.

Do you have a medical condition, is that why the braces are free? I live in the UK aswell but Il have to pay for mine

choccyface

#44 Post by choccyface »

My braces have gone on free because of the NHS too and I am so relieved!

I had to go to a couple of orthodontist to get it though, I think free treament depends on how severe your case is, obviously if its just cosmetic you would have to pay but if its because of something else then they grade you and if you are above a certain grade you get it free.

I don't know how I would heve paid for it if it wasn't free, makes me feel very lucky indeed.

Sarah x

hawkwing

#45 Post by hawkwing »

My braces was free. In Sweden you dont have to pay for any dental treatment til the year you become 19. Even though Im 21 at the moment my treatment started when I was 17 and is therefore free.