Braces AND Bonded Retainer?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nix

Braces AND Bonded Retainer?

#1 Post by nix »

Hi everyone

I have just had my upper braces put back on - I had them temporarily removed for my wedding and honeymoon back in November :D

Whilst the braces were off, my ortho attached a bonded retainer behind my teeth so they wouldn't move. I had the braces put back on again last Wednesday (10th Jan) but he has not taken the retainer off?

How will my teeth move if the retainer is holding them still? I presume the arch wire is stronger (I have ceramic brackets but a thick metal wire as my teeth have a lot of moving still to do!) - but I am worried that at some point the bonded retainer will 'ping' off...this could hurt!!

Probably a bit of a unique situation here, but if anyone has any thoughts...

nix

#2 Post by nix »

Yes maybe...think I will call though as you suggest (I think he just forgot to remove it to be honest! :wink: ).

My couple of months on 'parole' :lol: were so great! I felt so confident - my front 6 basically looked perfect and no one can see why I have to continue treatment! But my teeth need to move further forward, and one of them still is very slightly twisted - plus I have to have the bottom ones fixed yet for my bite to work. Gutted to have them put back on in a way, but I know it'll be worth it, and maybe I won't wear them for as long as I am preparing myself for. Original treatment time was estimated at 18-24 months - I have done 5 months already, but am working on the basis of 24 more adjustments...I need to get one of those ticker things!