Bottoms just on - very uncomfortable

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jc75

Bottoms just on - very uncomfortable

#1 Post by jc75 »

Hello

I got my top braces on December 20th and found it to be a lot easier than expected. However I got my bottoms on earlier today - only about 4 hours ago in fact - and I am having a bit of a nightmare. My teeth feel like they are constantly "on edge" - you know how you feel when you hear a horrible squeaky noise or something? It's a weird, horrible feeling. Also, the ortho had to put some cement on my back bottom teeth to stop my upper teeth hitting the brackets on the lower teeth and that also feels really weird. I keep salivating all the time. Is that because I have something in my mouth which my brain is thinking is food?

I don't think I am going to be able to eat very easily (I have had no problems with my uppers) as I only have one tooth either side of my mouth actually in contact with the upper jaw!

I'm feeling really uncomfortable and irritated. How long is this going to last???

HELP!!! :ouch:

GracieG.

#2 Post by GracieG. »

Hi JC! I just got my uppers and lowers yesterday-I also had the cement stuff put on my molars to keep the teeth from touching each other! It is a very weird feeling. I have noticed when brushing that I salivate a lot more as well. As far as eating, I've been sticking to soft stuff...last night I had spaghetti and I was able to eat all of it-which was good because I was starving!!! Everyone says that we'll get used to them eventually...the human body is an amazing thing...let's hope that they are right!! Hang in there and keep in touch!

nix

#3 Post by nix »

Hi

I haven't had my bottom ones put on yet - not looking forward to that really as I imagine your mouth feels really crowded! Anyway - I also imagine that just like when you had your uppers fitted, they felt really big and odd in your mouth but you do get used to them eventually.

Re: the cement on your teeth - I have this too and again it doesn't take long to get used to eating, biting etc. I found for maybe a week it was not great, because of the eating thing and also in my sleep I guess my jaw was trying to return to normal position and I was biting down really hard and then waking up in the morning with jaw and headaches. I thought I'd never be able to chew anything because I had the cement blocks on my upper and lower molars so the only point of contact in my mouth when I bit was the two blocks...but all of a sudden I was eating normally again and I am completely used to them now.

Hope this helps!

nix

#4 Post by nix »

Hi

I haven't had my bottom ones put on yet - not looking forward to that really as I imagine your mouth feels really crowded! Anyway - I also imagine that just like when you had your uppers fitted, they felt really big and odd in your mouth but you do get used to them eventually.

Re: the cement on your teeth - I have this too and again it doesn't take long to get used to eating, biting etc. I found for maybe a week it was not great, because of the eating thing and also in my sleep I guess my jaw was trying to return to normal position and I was biting down really hard and then waking up in the morning with jaw and headaches. I thought I'd never be able to chew anything because I had the cement blocks on my upper and lower molars so the only point of contact in my mouth when I bit was the two blocks...but all of a sudden I was eating normally again and I am completely used to them now.

Hope this helps!

jc75

#5 Post by jc75 »

Hi Nix

Thanks for your reply. I just noticed you are from Bucks too! I am having my treatment in High Wycombe. Where are you having yours done?

Delag

Re: Bottoms just on - very uncomfortable

#6 Post by Delag »

jc75 wrote: My teeth feel like they are constantly "on edge" - you know how you feel when you hear a horrible squeaky noise or something?
What a great way to describe it! I just got my lowers on and the pressure isn't worse than the uppers, it's just more bothersome - in a fingernail on a chalkboard sort of way.