How are you paying for your braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Henna_the_braceface

#46 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

no... because im in the UK + on the NHS! :D

Hawa

#47 Post by Hawa »

[quote]I had to go to a couple of orthodontist to get it though, I think free treament depends on how severe your case is, obviously if its just cosmetic you would have to pay but if its because of something else then they grade you and if you are above a certain grade you get it free.

Hi Choccy Face, did you have to ask your ortho to grade you or he/she did it anyway?

Part of my reason for getting braced is my overbite, which is slight, but means that my front teeth dont join together top and bottom. But then its also cosmetic. I dont have any severe problems so dont think I would qualify. Thing is ive just made my 1st appointment andnow actually really looking forward to it, so dont know wether I should go through the whole process of finding other Orthos and seeing if I could get them all paid for by the NHS.

Hawa

#48 Post by Hawa »

[quote]I had to go to a couple of orthodontist to get it though, I think free treament depends on how severe your case is, obviously if its just cosmetic you would have to pay but if its because of something else then they grade you and if you are above a certain grade you get it free.

Hi Choccy Face, did you have to ask your ortho to grade you or he/she did it anyway?

Part of my reason for getting braced is my overbite, which is slight, but means that my front teeth dont join together top and bottom. But then its also cosmetic. I dont have any severe problems so dont think I would qualify. Thing is ive just made my 1st appointment andnow actually really looking forward to it, so dont know wether I should go through the whole process of finding other Orthos and seeing if I could get them all paid for by the NHS.

Will VT

#49 Post by Will VT »

I'm very fortunate to have a good dental plan and a flex spending account at work. My insurance covers 50%, paying up to $2250. The part that's not covered by insurance is going to be paid from my flex account (pre-tax money). The great benefit of the flex account is that you tell them how much money you want and they divide that figure up between all your paychecks for the year in deductions but give you the money on January 1. Basically, it is like having an interest-free and tax-free loan.

Only problem is that both my insurance and the flex account reimburse me after I pay. In order to do that, I took out a loan from my 401k. Since I'm paying in full up front, my ortho gives a 7% discount, which was a nice perk.

cece

#50 Post by cece »

I paid records appt upfront (I think it was somewhere around $300)....

My treatment is supposed to be appr. 24 months, the total amount was $5250. I used $2250 from savings and am paying $150 for 20 months. Even if the braces come off early I still have 20 months to pay.

I have dental insurance but they don't pay for adult orthodontics....am keeping it b/c they do pay 100% for regular dental care for all of us and for under 18 orthodontics, and my son will need to be braced in a few years.

MsViola

#51 Post by MsViola »

Will VT - We have the same b-day. I am glad mine is an early morning appointment (especially since I have managed to wedge a spacers all the way into my gum).

Good luck!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months

Will VT

#52 Post by Will VT »

MsViola wrote:Will VT - We have the same b-day. I am glad mine is an early morning appointment (especially since I have managed to wedge a spacers all the way into my gum).

Good luck!
I've got an early appointment on Wednesday as well. My spacers really haven't bothered me that much, but it will be nice to get them out. I hope everything goes smoothly for you as well!

ema27

#53 Post by ema27 »

HAWA- my bottom teeth are near enough perfect just a few imperfections.my main problem is my 4 teeth at the front they go in quite a bit and rest on the bottom gums which causes discomfort at times.i tried to get the nhs to pay about 3 years ago but the dentist never referred me.he kept saying it was not that severe.however i moved to another part of the uk and decided to try again.within 3 months i had found a dentist,been refered had my appointment with the orthodontist and surgeonand i get braced in 1 week!!!i guess different dentists have different ideas about stuff!!!

ema27

#54 Post by ema27 »

HAWA- my bottom teeth are near enough perfect just a few imperfections.my main problem is my 4 teeth at the front they go in quite a bit and rest on the bottom gums which causes discomfort at times.i tried to get the nhs to pay about 3 years ago but the dentist never referred me.he kept saying it was not that severe.however i moved to another part of the uk and decided to try again.within 3 months i had found a dentist,been refered had my appointment with the orthodontist and surgeonand i get braced in 1 week!!!i guess different dentists have different ideas about stuff!!!

MsViola

#55 Post by MsViola »

Will VT - 2 days to go!!! The orthodontist staff already know me by name. I had to make an ER trip today to have a spacer pried out of my gum OUCH!!!! I go in at 9:30am on Wednesday.

MsViola

#56 Post by MsViola »

oops!
Last edited by MsViola on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

MsViola

#57 Post by MsViola »

Double Ooops!!!!!!!!
Last edited by MsViola on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

kayla4644

#58 Post by kayla4644 »

mine are only 3500, and my parents are paying for them.
Always listen to your heart, cause even though it's on your left, it's always right.

Nawners

#59 Post by Nawners »

Mine are $4780 total.
$850 down
$109/month
Insurance covers $1500

Everything I read prior to making the decision says that the cost is based on treatment needed. It seems that my ortho charges the same for everyone, as they had a pre-printed sheet saying how much it was going to be before we even came up with a diagnostics....

Is this the same for everyone?

iBorg

#60 Post by iBorg »

At least no one has said:

"Through the TEETH" :oops: :oops: :oops:

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.