EEEK...First Molar Discoloration!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Deb01

EEEK...First Molar Discoloration!

#1 Post by Deb01 »

In October I had my first bicuspid removed and now my canine, that is right next to it, is looking a little discolored. In the mirror, I notice it looks darker in color then the rest of my teeth. Has anyone else experienced this?
Braced on 6/28/2006

rsprouse

#2 Post by rsprouse »

I am guessing you have an amalgam (silver) filling in your first molar? Enamel is translucent so if you have silver underneath you can see it. Dentin is typically more yellow which is very different than silver. If you remove the amalgam you will remove the dark shadow in the tooth.

Best,
Rory

Deb01

#3 Post by Deb01 »

Thanks for the response Rory, however, I don't have a filling in my canine. I'll have to wait until my next appointment with my ortho and see what he thinks.

Thanks
Deb
Braced on 6/28/2006

rsprouse

#4 Post by rsprouse »

Hi Deb,

I may have misunderstood. The way I understand it you do not have either your first or second premolar. So you have a canine next to a molar. And your molar looks darker than your canine? Or is your canine darker than the molar? Canines tend to be the darkest tooth in the arch and are also the hardest to whiten. If you are saying the canine is darker then that is normal. If your molar is darker and does not have any restorations then that is another story. Do you have a pic?

Take Care,
Rory

Deb01

#5 Post by Deb01 »

Dear Rory,

Sorry for the confusion. :( I had my 1st molars extracted. One particular canine in front of one of the gaps looks darker then the rest of my teeth. I'm just hoping that there wasn't some type of nerve damage done. I can't imagine that happening but you never know. I use Crest toothpaste and Crest Rinse, and I've been brushing with baking soda too. I'm hoping that the baking soda will work.

Unfortunately I do not have any pics, I hope to soon.

I appreciate your responses.

Deb
Braced on 6/28/2006

rsprouse

#6 Post by rsprouse »

Hi Deb,

Baking soda and whitening toothpastes will not give you any noticable change. Your best bet is an in office whitening or (my preference) whitening trays. And the only real way to get your canine to look the same color as your other teeth is a veneer or crown. Or you could try whitening only the canine's, but that is not fun :D Just realize it is perfectly normal for the canine to be darker (big tooth, all that dentin under there...) and if you look at most people "They all look like that"

Best,
Rory

Deb01

#7 Post by Deb01 »

Hey Rory,
Thanks for the advice. I just can't understand what happened because it just became darker...almost overnight. Oh well, as soon as these braces come off, I hope to get my teeth whitened (professionally).
Thanks again!
Deb
Braced on 6/28/2006