Calling all UK-Braced

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Hawa

Calling all UK-Braced

#1 Post by Hawa »

Hey

I just wanted to ask all those of you in the UK who have braces paid for by the NHS and are over 18, is the quality of the treatment the same or has any one had problems where they wish they paid for the treatment because they were unhappy with the service they got?

Im sorry if im going on, Ive met my ortho had all the xrays and preparation done and made an appointment for Feb 21 to get them fitted. but now reading stories of others in the UK, Im starting to re-consider calling round other Orthos to see if I can get my treatment paid for by the NHS.

I just want this to start and end as soon as possible BUT ALSO to be happy with the results and I know that I would just be GUTTED if I had treatment but then it wasnt the quality expected.

Its taken me a few years to actually get the courage to get Ortho appointments etc and now that I have I dont know wether I should prolong it more and see if I can get free treatment or stick with the Ortho I got and pay £2000?

HELP!?!?!

So any hints or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks and all the best for all those who are still on the brace-journey.

Thanks
Hawa

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi Hawa
I'm in the UK and my treatment is private, but prominently displayed in my ortho's waiting room last time I went was a newspaper clipping about the change in regulations for who qualifies for orthodontic treatment on the NHS.

I also found this link

http://new.bos.org.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=388

Unless your case is pretty severe I think you would have almost zero chance of getting orthodontic treatment paid for on the NHS.

There's another link regarding the Index of Treatment Need here

http://www.bexleyortho.co.uk/IOTN.htm

dee76

#3 Post by dee76 »

hi,

I've got treatment on the NHS this is at a teaching dental hospital, so my first consultations were with students.

I had a referral from my dentist and was then on a waiting list for three years.

My treatment started in July '06 and the service has been great!

XD

Natalie

#4 Post by Natalie »

i feel that when i had NHS treatment as a teen the ortho's thinking was that'll do...next! roll on approx 10 years and i'm paying to have treatment all over again because i wasn't happy with the results before. from my experience i feel that you generally get what you pay for.

Dark_angel

#5 Post by Dark_angel »

Im 18 now and having NHS treatment but that is because i started out on this journey over 3 years ago now, even if i had of been 18 i probably would have qualified for NHS treatment.

To be honest the service isnt too bad once you get the treatment going but i had to wait almost 2 years on a waiting list and even now struggle to get 6 week appointments with my ortho, having to wait 9 weeks is not uncommon for me. If i wasnt a student and could have afforded to go private i would.

choccyface

#6 Post by choccyface »

Hi,

The articles were interesting, the grading system was as I thought, I was assessed and given a grade 4 so I was eligible for NHS treatment.

I have had to change orthos as I moved areas which has delayed my treatment (its taken about 4 years to get my brace) but I am more than happy with my new orthos and my treatment plan, it doesn't seem to me that any corners have been cut, my ortho and surgeon have spent many hours trying to work out the best treatment plan to give my the best smile, not just correct the main problems.

I'd say the major differance between going private and having the work free on the NHS is the waiting periods. If I were paying I wouldn't have had to wait long, in the past I have had to wait 6 months between appointments, and of course I have to share my ortho with teenagers which means I often have dodgy appointment times and its gets booked up very quick.

But I am very very gratful to be getting this treament paid, I would have had to find the money somehow but it would have been a problem, and my ortho, consultant, surgeon and the rest of the team are so fantastic, they really put me at ease and we actually have a laugh and a joke!

I really don't think I would recieve any better treament privatly, I would have had less of a wait but I think at the end of the day, I wil get just as nice a smile :D

Sarah x

Dee

#7 Post by Dee »

Hi |Hawa,
I am almost at the end of my treatment (braces off on 5th of Feb). I had to go private and my braces journey will have cost £4,000 by the time I am finished, plus another £200 initial consultation fee.

Very expensive, however mine was a complex case, required a hospital based consultant orhtodontist and as we know private hospitals know how to charge :roll:

All in all I am thrilled with the effects of the treatment, the ortho told me upfront that it would not be possible to give me a perfect smile/bite and I think he has done an excellent job.

At the end of the day private treatment was my only option, but I am so glad that I did it.

Dee

ema27

#8 Post by ema27 »

HI -I Think i v answered a post of yours before im getting treatment on the nhs and so far all is excellent-i get my spacers tommorrow then braces next week.In the space of 4 months i have found a dentist,been refered,seen my surgeon and the braces are on in 7 days!The team seem professional and very efficent.I have had 3 children on the NHS and cant fault them at all!!! i would personally not go private why pay when you dont have too?Obviously all cases are different-so good luck with what you decide.Just remember just because its free does not necessarily mean the quality or standards drop.

Lisa65

#9 Post by Lisa65 »

No worries, I just googled for the IoTN in the UK