Wires question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jc75

Wires question

#1 Post by jc75 »

Hello

A quick question about wires. I had my top brace put on nearly 4 weeks ago now. I have molar bands on my last but one molars with metal bits sticking out on the outside (cheek side) - (are these called cleats?). There are little end bits of wire sticking out behind the molar bands which iritate me every now and again. I have them covered up with wax most of the time as I still find them (and the cleats) a bit irritating, but they feel quite sharp when I touch them with my tongue, even though they are only very short bits. I don't think they were there when I first got braced. Is this a sign of progress and will the wires get longer and stick out even more as my teeth move? Also, is it normal practice to go and get the bits of wire cut off?

Sorry for the lack of technical vocabulary. I hope I have described all the bits and pieces sufficiently for you to understand what I mean!

Thanks.

ghostmyimag3

#2 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

I'd get it clipped. I've only had that problem once and that was 4 weeks into wearing them. I have a wire that could be clipped now but its not scraping me so i can wait til next week when my second adjustment is scheduled. But like i have been told in here numerous times if its something that can be clipped or fixed dont wait!
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006