getting the wax to stay - update... ARGH!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cowlypso

getting the wax to stay - update... ARGH!

#1 Post by cowlypso »

On the tongue side of my lower molar bands I have these two ridges of metal that the assistant called "seating lugs." They aren't actually cleats, because they don't stick out enough to actually hook anything to. They are just like an extra rectangle of metal stuck onto the band.

I got the bands on yesterday morning and this morning I woke up in pain!!! My teeth feel just fine. No trouble there at all. But my tongue is killing me. I've been trying wax, but I just can't get it to stay there. Big pieces, small pieces... Nothing.

I called the ortho at noon and they said that he could probably grind those down a bit, but he's not in today so it would have to wait until Monday. I called them again just now to see if it would be okay to see if my regular dentist would be willing to do it for me, but they said that I shouldn't do that. She told me to keep trying the wax. But it just won't stay there.

Help!!!
Last edited by cowlypso on Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Way Too Old For This

#2 Post by Way Too Old For This »

There are two different kinds of wax. If what they gave you was the silicone stuff your teeth have to be perfectly dry for it to stick. I don't use that stuff. If it is wax like parafin wax, it should stick. You might try to get the area dryer first maybe with a piece of gauze or q-tip.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

tin_grin

#3 Post by tin_grin »

A brand of hard wax (sticks better) is DenTek. I haven't been able to find it lately, and have been using mint GUM wax. Horrible, slimy stuff. :-(
Braced: July 19, 2006
Debraced: April 21, 2008
Ceramic uppers & lowers

tin_grin

#4 Post by tin_grin »

A brand of hard wax (sticks better) is DenTek. I haven't been able to find it lately, and have been using mint GUM wax. Horrible, slimy stuff. :-(
Braced: July 19, 2006
Debraced: April 21, 2008
Ceramic uppers & lowers

JumpTheDitch

#5 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I found getting wax to stay a bit of a knack, Cowlypso.
Try this:

1) warm up the piece of wax you're about to apply

2) dry the brace/tooth area you're about to wax (I usually use a bit of tissue, etc)

3) place the wax onto the tooth/brace area

4) lick your finger (trust me; this makes your finger wetter and less adhesive than the area you're trying to wax)

5) mould the wax into position with your wetted finger.

You can also try using the nail part of your finger to press the wax into position, as wax doesn't seem to find fingernail overly adhesive.

Good luck, you'll work out your own tricks of the trade in no time.
I used to wax my cleats/seating lugs and swore I'd get them ground off until I unexpectedly realised I didn't even notice them anymore.

Good luck with your treatment :thumbsup:

JumpTheDitch

Blank

#6 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Oops, double post!

The page did load after all :oops:

ssfw

#7 Post by ssfw »

Try rolling the wax into a very small ball - with either type of wax. Personally I like the silicone wax but it is a slight challenge to get it to stick, but it feels so much better in the mouth. I think rolling it in a ball gives it some warmth from your hands and all you do is press the wax on the part of your braces that's giving you a problem. The orthodontist's asst. gave me this tip and it helped me alot.

Good luck.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

cowlypso

#8 Post by cowlypso »

Thanks for the suggestions. I finally got it last night! Feeling much better today. Fortunately, the mouth heals quickly.

I ended up having to cover not only the side of the tooth, but also the biting surface of the tooth, with wax. kind of gross at first when I bite down, but then it molds to the tooth above and does okay unless I eat something hard. But I change the wax after I eat anyway.

I'm definitely getting these dudes polished off on Monday. I'm getting a nance on Thursday, which sits in the roof of the mouth. And my tongue probably isn't going to be very happy with that. So if it can't be happy with the top of my mouth, it had better have a nice, comfortable haven at the bottom of my mouth! Until then, me and my grape wax shall be best buddies once again. I think next time I see the ortho, I'll have to ask for more wax. I'm almost through my first pack, and then I've got one backup pack. But I like the grape that the ortho has.

PrincessMelody

#9 Post by PrincessMelody »

Glad to hear you got the wax sorted out. The lingual side of those molar bands sure do create a number on your tongue. I envy those who's ortho's just use buccal brackets. Hope things get better once he sands 'em down and good luck with your nance.
Check out my braces story by clicking the WWW
28 months and 22 days in braces
Now in an upper and lower Hawley retainer.

cowlypso

#10 Post by cowlypso »

Okay... got the offending parts smoothed off. I thought....

He smoothed off the left side, which was really bugging me. That side feels pretty good. He also did the right side, which was annoying, but I might have been able to get used to it. He missed one tiny little corner in the back, so now I've got this sharp little spike of metal sticking out! :shock:

I feel really stupid trying to call them back and have them squeeze me in again, especially since I'm going in on Thursday anyway. I didn't notice it until I got home. Guess it's back to the wax.

Or maybe I'll try the power sander....

Gennel

#11 Post by Gennel »

SOOOOO glad you are getting relief! I read your thread and had to stop by and read it. I'm glad someone here mentioned the two types of wax. The one my ortho gave me does not stick to my brackets unless they are totallydry.
The only wax I can find in pharmacies is the G.U.M. brand and that is sticky enough. I needed it for the same area you are having trouble with. The cleats on the lingual side were scraping,tugging and getting caught with my tongue! I could barely talk. By day 7 I wanted to cut the molar bands off and take out my expander! I decided to experimient and added wax to different areas near my tongue well after 15 minutes or so I found the exact problem spot and got instant relief. I almost wanted to cry because within 5 minutes I was talking clearly again!
It onlytook about 24-48 hrs for my tongue to heal. I still use wax every other day because the irritation in the tongue returned after 2 days that I stopped using the wax! I now buy like 6pks or more and apply every other day and I'm one happy camper!

Gennel

Will VT

#12 Post by Will VT »

Is it silly to ask why they don't just smooth off these "seating lugs" as soon as they put the brackets on? I'm getting my braces on Wednesday, and I'll be out of town starting Thursday afternoon. Would it be wise to ask my ortho to grind off the lugs while I'm there on Wednesday to prevent any potential problems? Is this an area where lots of people get irritated?

Gennel

#13 Post by Gennel »

Anything that is on the lingual side might get irritated. Your tongue is CONSTANTLY moving around! lol I had no idea how much a tongue can move until I saw all the scrapes and sores :(

If they don't need to use them or wont be using them right away , you can ask your ortho if they can be bent/flattened or grind them down. Ask asap that way you dont have to worry much about your tongue getting raw.
I suggest that as soon as you feel a little irritation on your cheeks to put wax on the bracket asap. Buy the wax that is sticky! the brand is G.U.M.

Gennel

mandaluv

#14 Post by mandaluv »

i know exactly what you mean! i've had my braces for almost 9 months and it was only a few months ago that i stopped noticing tongue irritation from my bands. i used to use wax for this and when i did, i preferred the wax provided by my ortho, which i am guessing is the one that doesn't stick as well. it just feels cleaner in my mouth. that mint g.u.m. stuff gets slimey very quickly and gets caught in the braces. but that is just my preference. anyway, good luck with your visit!
[/url]

cowlypso

#15 Post by cowlypso »

Hmm.... I just might call them again tomorrow. Nothing like coming in for multiple emergency visits before you've even got the entirety of your braces on, right?

Things are steadily going downhill here. Now both sides are hurting just as bad as before. I got some wax on the one for most of the day. Just brushed and will be putting some wax on both in a few minutes for bed.

I guess what he did is he removed the lugs that were sticking out, but he didn't actually polish the surface. So before I was being annoyed by something that was sticking out, but pretty much smooth. Now I'm being annoyed by something that is smooth in contour, but very rough. Like sandpaper on the inside of my bands, is how it feels. :yikes:

Maybe he just doesn't have the right tools? I had a rough edge of a filling exposed after my extractions and I swear it took my dentist less than a minute to make that little spike of metal smooth as a baby's rear end.

I think I'll also ask the ortho, whenever I see him, if he's still having trouble getting it with his tools or if he doesn't have the right tools (or if I don't see him until Thursday, since I think he is out of office Fridays), if I can have permission to have my regular dentist polish these things. I asked last Friday if I could go see him, and the assistant said that if it had to do with braces, I couldn't have my regular dentist touch it. But seriously. It's a big band of metal around my molar. I bet my regular dentist could figure out how to sand it down really, really well. Especially without three preteens sitting in the next chairs over wondering how long it's going to be before he comes to look at their archwires...

Okay... I think that's the sore tongue talking. I really do like my ortho. He's very nice. And they are very accomodating. I think I'll call them tomorrow. Thanks for listening.