10 Things You Learn While Wearing Braces...**^^**

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PrincessMelody

#46 Post by PrincessMelody »

IBorg... I aim to please :lol: Glad you liked them all the same. I am probably one of the world's biggest klutzes (I trip over my shoes/feet ALL the time) so lets jut say there is definately some more amusing stories, at my expense and humiliation, ahead.
Check out my braces story by clicking the WWW
28 months and 22 days in braces
Now in an upper and lower Hawley retainer.

BracedBelle

#47 Post by BracedBelle »

joney wrote:4. I think I've swallowed so much silicone wax that I may end up with bigger boobs.
*crosses fingers*

:lol:

mayday

#48 Post by mayday »

In no particular order, this is what I've come to know in my short brace time:

--Have access to water while eating; swishing is a must. Other beverages do not cut it.

--I have more excuses to buy dental products.

--Cleaning/flossing is not as hard as I expected it to be, just an inconvenience.

--Eating is also not that difficult. While I do stay away from sticky foods, I manage to eat most anything. (so much for minor weight loss)

--I am grateful [sorta] that I did not have braces when I was younger because I did not have as good oral hygiene back then.

--I am actually more likely to smile now because I don't feel as if I have to hide my teeth. Now, because I know that I am actually getting work done to improve them I don't feel as ashamed.

--Braces do not get in the way of kissing :)

--I view many things in the span of a lifetime (i.e., "In ten years, the braces won't even be an issue. In fifty years, these two years will seem like nothing.")

--This website and board are invaluable.

--I enjoy talking about my brace experiences, especially if they inspire/help someone else.

BracedBelle

#49 Post by BracedBelle »

hhmm... I'll add a few of my own:

1. I don't miss red wine as much as I thought I would. Now that I'm a white wine drinker I don't think I'll go back to red!
2. Advil, wax and interdental tools are my new best friends.
3. A lot of my favourite foods are on the "do not eat" list, yet I find a way to eat them anyway. Even if it means sucking on them or cutting them into itty bitty pieces.
4. I see lots of smiling braces pictures on here... I refuse to open my mouth for pictures and if I laugh I cover my face... I feel too ugly with braces. On top of that, my arch is a bit wider and my lips feel awkward around my braces, so mechanically I'm having difficulty figuring out how to smile. I try smiling in the mirror but it looks awful and unnatural. I don't know how you guys do it!
5. I've never spent so much money on myself before!

Zondrae

#50 Post by Zondrae »

* I get some sort of weird pleasure flossing & finding that big piece of food I didn't know was there!

* I love smiling at other brace-faces

* Sometimes if they weren't cemented on, I'd take them off!

This thread is a hoot! :lol:

srg1977

#51 Post by srg1977 »

I can't add too many more, but:

- Never breathe through your mouth when it's -30 degrees outside. The end result is pretty similar to sticking your tongue to a metal flagpole, but not quite as painful to remove. Coffee or hot chocolate helps!

- It's a lot easier to justify spending $100 on a toothbrush after paying over $5000 for wires and brackets.

science teacher

top ten

#52 Post by science teacher »

While I don't have braces yet,(not til monday) I have had an expander and 4 brackets since november. Here's my top ten

1. I liked to whistle now can't but man I get air moving between my front teeth every time I say "f" words.
2. It doesn't matter how many brackets are in your mouth it still makes your lips move funny.
3. Salt water rinses are a god send.
4. Water is a must at resturants for swishing. No ice please.
5. When advil gets stuck in my expander I panic.
6. Freshmen do care about other people besides themselves. I have several that ask everyday how I"m doing. (they laughed at #5)
7. McDonalds straws are really big and don't feel good between your front teeth.
8. Flossing is difficult when you can't feel your gums.
9. My husband can't wait until I have braces and wear pigtails to "bed".
10. My 8 yo thinks is cool mom will have braces!

I have laughed a lot at these. I'm certainly not nervous about getting mine.
kim
SARPE 11/23/06
Expansion over 12/18/06 8.5mm
Brace day tops 1/15/07
Brace day bottoms 3/19/07
all expansion devices removed 9/19/07

ghostmyimag3

#53 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

bracedagain wrote:
I think I've swallowed so much silicone wax that I may end up with bigger boobs.
*crosses fingers*

Image That's the best one so far!

If that is the case imma cross my fingers tooo!!!
I found myself standing at the floss and stuff for like 10 minutes staring at all the stuff i could clean my teeth with. The reason i bring this up is because this was mentioned earlier in this post. My husband had to pull me out of there. I mean i was staring at the tooth brushes and everything lol
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

maple

#54 Post by maple »

1. Braces are not such a big deal. Many people don't even notice.
2. People asked about my braces, because they are thinking of getting braces.
3. People asked about my braces, because they had braces
4. Looking at people's teeth I learned that some people should really get braces and fix their teeth
5. At parties, well meaning people may offer things like popcorn, hard crusty bread, chips etc, not knowing that those of us with braces can't eat these foods.
6. When going to a function that involves food, it's a good idea to eat something at home so that you are not hungry and tempted to choose forbidden food.
7. To ensure that you can eat something at a potluck dinner, bring some braces friendly food to share.
8. Pain may be a good thing
9. Having a nice smile, is related to flossing
10. The oral care department of my drugstore has products I never thought existed.

iBorg

#55 Post by iBorg »

10. The oral care department of my drugstore has products I never thought existed.
The oral care department not only carries thngs I didn't know existed, but I get excited over many of those products. :oops:

mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

cowlypso

#56 Post by cowlypso »

Hmmm.... I hope my boobs don't get any bigger. I've spent so much money on my braces, I don't think I can afford new bras!

mandaluv

#57 Post by mandaluv »

Ok, I got a little creative and giddy with my list. :)

1. Closed mouth smiles look weird now (on me)
2. Open mouth smiles also look weird. :)
3. My usually flat lips look bigger. yay!
4. It hurts when you are smiling and your overweight cat decides to walk across your face and just happens to rest ALL of her weight on one tooth and bracket. wow, that one was long.. but true story.
5. Used to be able to whistle.. tried a while back and couldn't, but just tried again and could. ??
6. My teeth most likely move way slower than yours.
7. After 9 months, the party is over and the frustration begins.
8. I really can and do eat everything on the no-no list. Especially tortilla chips and salsa!!
9. I'm running out of things to say...
10. Read #9
[/url]

mandaluv

#58 Post by mandaluv »

Ok, I got a little creative and giddy with my list. :)

1. Closed mouth smiles look weird now (on me)
2. Open mouth smiles also look weird. :)
3. My usually flat lips look bigger. yay!
4. It hurts when you are smiling and your overweight cat decides to walk across your face and just happens to rest ALL of her weight on one tooth and bracket. wow, that one was long.. but true story.
5. Used to be able to whistle.. tried a while back and couldn't, but just tried again and could. ??
6. My teeth most likely move way slower than yours.
7. After 9 months, the party is over and the frustration begins.
8. I really can and do eat everything on the no-no list. Especially tortilla chips and salsa!!
9. I'm running out of things to say...
10. Read #9
[/url]

mayday

#59 Post by mayday »

My boyfriend laughs at me for this, but then also mentions that it's 'cute...'

-I now have a handy place to hang my floss if I get interrupted during the process. :)

bracedintx

#60 Post by bracedintx »

Great thread!!

I couldn't think of 10 that hadn't already been said, but here are 5 more:

1. Building on the flossing comment: I never knew I could get so confused while flossing that I would wrap the string repeatedly around the wire while trying to pull it out from between my teeth.

2. Children under the age of 5 want nothing more than to pull the brackets off your teeth

3. Flying objects have a gravitational pull to wired mouths, inducing fat and bloody lips

4. Black dog hair goes smashingly with wite teeth and silver braces

5. There is nothing more beautiful than the reflection of your tin grin in someone else's braces...a wonderful kinship moment[/quote]
self-ligating metal brackets all around